diet stuff

u2junior

I was at work, starving, wondering what some others eat or do to stave off hunger while at work. I work in a lab so it's not possible for me to stash food in my desk (I don't even have one). Something unappetizing about eating food contaminated with bacteria. Normally I will eat cereal with some glutamine thown in and yogurt for breakfast. More yogurt at break along with an occasional snack. Lunch is at noon and I am ready to gnaw my arm off betwen 2:30 and 3 pm. I am home shortly after 4pm and have something (protein shake or small meal) or I have an apple on my way to the gym. Given that I need to eat more to gain weight what would be some good cost effective options...I was thinking I would add a toasted bagel or something to my morning break and bring more food to eat around 3-ish if possible., particularly on days when I hit the gym immediately after work. My after work or gym habits are fine. It's during the day that is a problem, considering that's when you should probably be eating the vast majority if your carbs. (speculation on my part but it makes sense) Anyway, any tips that have worked would be great. Mass is good...getting fat is not. So I want to do this right. Thanks :)

From what it sounds like, you are not eating near enough to make any big mass gains. A serving of yogurt or a bagel here or there is not even going to make a dent in the overall caloric requirements you need to make good gains. How much protein are you eating? How many total calories? These are the things that are most important when looking to gain lean muscle mass.

i'm not sure if you're bulking or cutting... it sounds like bulking. if you're hungry, you aren't going to get very far
laugh.gif

if you're looking for more calories, bagel would be good. cheap carbs for bulking that i like
beans (make burritos to bring to work to microwave over break)
cereals like rasin brain and shredded wheat
oats (you could just keep a cylindar at work and eat a cupful with some water, i do this between classes a lot)
brown rice

i'd think centering carbs around workout would be best, as nutrient partitioning is best at this time.

i spend most of my life in a lab too....so you cant tell me that you never take a short break (im on a 10min break right now while i wait for something to finish spinning). In those short breaks you have enough time to leave the lab, go to your locker (or you might have a fridge in a coffee room or something like that? ) and down a pre made shake.
In the morning before you leave for work, add a couple of scoops of instant oats to a couple of scoops of whey and mix with milk (or water if you prefer). it only takes a couple of seconds to drink it down and can help to dramatically increase your calorie intake/ stave off hunger for a while.

When I used to eat 3 meals a day I'd use water to keep from getting hungry and it worked quite well with me. It's just that I'd usually end up drinking LOTS of water, which isn't bad, but can cause lots of trips to the bathroom. Now that I'm eating 5-6 meals a day I dont' have issues w/hunger. I was even down to 1300-1400 calories for a while and still doing fine. Just work on spreading out those meals if at all possible... If u are allowed to drink water, couldn't u put a shake in that same container?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (u2junior @ Feb. 17 2004,8:17)]It's during the day that is a problem, considering that's when you should probably be eating the vast majority if your carbs. (speculation on my part but it makes sense)
Might want to try Blade's ideas that he posted in the thread on 'John Beradi'. Protein and fats are eaten thru the day with bulk of carbs eaten around workout.

Back