Alternatives to dextrose

baby a

My gym used to carry NOW brand dextrose, which I used in both pre and post WO shakes. But, when I went to buy some the yesterday, they said that they are not going to carry it anymore. I just ordered some online, but what can I use in the meantime until my shipment arrives? Another sugar? Is regular table sugar OK? Thanks!

Any carb source will do (accept perhaps fructose and to a lessor degree sucrose). Just eat some white bread, or saltine crackers (low salt if you like).

You can also add flour to your dinks. Yes, plain old flour. Won't effect the taste hardly at all and will give you good old starchy carbs that will digest rather quickly to boot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ Feb. 18 2004,11:49)]Any carb source will do (accept perhaps fructose and to a lessor degree sucrose).
why post workout fructose is bad ?

It's not that post-workout fructose is bad. It's just that fructose is a low glycemic index carb. It's metabolized differently, and doesn't create the fast insulin response you get from a high-g.i. sugar such as dextrose, or the other carb sources mentioned.

Powerade has about 18g of simple carbs in 8oz and a glycemic index in the 80's. I buy the powdered stuff and add a little extra per gallon.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (baby a @ Feb. 18 2004,3:22)]My gym used to carry NOW brand dextrose, which I used in both pre and post WO shakes. But, when I went to buy some the yesterday, they said that they are not going to carry it anymore. I just ordered some online, but what can I use in the meantime until my shipment arrives? Another sugar? Is regular table sugar OK? Thanks!
Look in the phone book for local brew shops (beer). They should have dextrose / corn sugar for cheap. Possibly cheaper than you can get online.

Brian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kiharan @ Feb. 19 2004,3:32)]It's not that post-workout fructose is bad. It's just that fructose is a low glycemic index carb. It's metabolized differently, and doesn't create the fast insulin response you get from a high-g.i. sugar such as dextrose, or the other carb sources mentioned.
fructose preferentially refills liver glycogen stores; you want a carb that will help refill muscle glycogen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jkismul @ Feb. 18 2004,5:01)]I'd go for the Smarties. :)
Are Smarties really all that good? I've actually used them for post carbs but I wasn't sure if it was all that good downing like 8+ rolls in one sitting. As fun as it is, I'd like to make sure I'm not cheating myself... Probably decaying the teeth pretty quick too? Didn't Bryan say something about not worrying as much about post diet and how clean it is becuase it doesn't matter as much?

Back