Eat every 2.5-3 hours

Tom Treutlein

I've heard this get passed around as ideal in order to grow. The main reason people throw out is that it will keep a positive nitrogen balance, and stop you from going catabolic. Is it true that you need to have protein every 3-4 hours at least? What if you had protein in one meal, then again eight hours later (aside from trace amounts in almonds, oats, and rice)?

If total calories in vs. total calories out is the big issue, then this shouldn't matter - but then why do people bitch about going catabolic when protein isn't constantly ingested?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tom Treutlein @ Jan. 27 2005,3:07)](aside from trace amounts in almonds, oats, and rice)?
According to fitday, oats have 26 grams of protein per cup (13 if they're raw apparently) and almonds have over 30 grams per cup.

Not sure if that qualifies as trace amounts!

A serving of almonds is an ounce. A cup is eight ounces. Not sure if anyone eats that much. I have two handfuls (2 oz.) a day. Also, oats have 5 grams of protein per 40g serving.

I had figured as much, so instead of being an @$$ and posting something OTHER THAN THE ANSWER, either don't post, or give a link to a credible source, or at least put in your knowledge on the subject as to why it's been dispelled.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tom Treutlein @ Jan. 27 2005,9:58)]A serving of almonds is an ounce. A cup is eight ounces. Not sure if anyone eats that much. I have two handfuls (2 oz.) a day. Also, oats have 5 grams of protein per 40g serving.
ah ok - makes sense.

Eating every three to four hours will help you maintain good blood sugar levels withour any spikes in insulin response. To make it short you should eat all the time not couple times a day. Here on article you may find intresting..just google it ;)

Plasma insulin responses after ingestion of different amino acid or
protein mixtures with carbohydrate

Luc JC van Loon, Wim HM Saris, Hans Verhagen, and Anton JM Wagenmakers

Am J Clin Nutr 2000;72:96–105.

Oh yes, the steady blood sugar level thing I've known about. Just gotta learn why it is the protein doesn't need to be intaken every three to four hours to stop one from going "catabolic".

Thanks for that, though.

Sorry Tom dont have any studies but from what I have read from Lyle, Aaron etc is that the size and type of protein as well as fibre/fat content of meals will decide time between feedings before the body starts looking to breaking down muscle for protein.

Lyle's comments

I think it is important to realize that Nitrogen Balance is determined by 1. Amount of Protein Ingested 2. Frequency it is ingested (see The effect of meal frequency and protein concentration on the composition of the weight lost by obese subjects. Garrow JS et al). Quality or type (see Tipton, Dangin and others) 4. Essential Amino Quantity 5. Other substrates that are eaten. (See Tipton, Wolfe) 6. Exercise (Tipton, Wolf, Rennie) and a whole slew of other things. So it's more than just how often you eat.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tcup @ Jan. 28 2005,7:45)]Eating every three to four hours will help you maintain good blood sugar levels withour any spikes in insulin response. To make it short you should eat all the time not couple times a day.
Only really important with the use of high GI diet, and it doesnt make a difference to fat loss/gain, but will make a difference to hunger.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Plasma insulin responses after ingestion of different amino acid or

point being?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think it is important to realize that Nitrogen Balance is determined by 1. Amount of Protein Ingested 2. Frequency it is ingested (see The effect of meal frequency and protein concentration on the composition of the weight lost by obese subjects. Garrow JS et al). Quality or type (see Tipton, Dangin and others) 4. Essential Amino Quantity 5. Other substrates that are eaten. (See Tipton, Wolfe) 6. Exercise (Tipton, Wolf, Rennie) and a whole slew of other things. So it's more than just how often you eat.
Nitrogen balance is an extremely crude measure but

1) amount - yes
2) so your point is frequency matters when you are eating extremely low calorie (800kcal) and extremely low protein (10-15% of 800kcals = 20-30g protein) nitrogen excretion reduces even on these useless levels by 2-3 weeks because of reduced excretion of nitrogen?
3) at this point it starts getting messed. Dagin/bories work is interesting, and shows the effect in a rather abstract setting, but extrapolating those examples to the real world is a complete leap. Looking at Dangins latest paper, with aged subject it shows whey up to be the best. So its not quite as clear cut as most have put the concept origonally. (also look at one of tiptons latest papers on whey vs casein in FSR)
4) sorta, ties into overall requirements for the day, which nitrogen balance is a rough proxy for
5) other substrates - energy being the most important.
6) exercise is good, but also varies by intensity.

:)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Jan. 29 2005,11:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Plasma insulin responses after ingestion of different amino acid or
point being?
Point being that giving some perspective to eating carbs and proteins at the same time. And how will the insulin behave after digestion of food.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Jan. 29 2005,3:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so your point is frequency matters when you are eating extremely low calorie (800kcal) and extremely low protein (10-15% of 800kcals = 20-30g protein)

during restriction, according to that study, yup.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]nitrogen excretion reduces even on these useless levels by 2-3 weeks because of reduced excretion of nitrogen?
This seemed odd to me, but Aaron would this be the effect of the body reverting to ketone use or simply upregulated fat utilization as in the starvation studies, then agian would 3.4MJ be starvation, I guess that would depend on BMI and activity (I think I just answered my own question there)?

Anyway my overall point being, it is more than just frequency when looking at N balance.

Tom, if you are interested in reading about Protein Requirements and Nitrogen Balance you can read the DRI online for free, it gives some insight to the processes involved in establishing Nitrogen Balance. I am posting a link starting on DRI Chapter 10 Protein.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tcup @ Jan. 29 2005,11:09)]Point being that giving some perspective to eating carbs and proteins at the same time. And how will the insulin behave after digestion of food.
In the point of somebody with insulin sensitivity problems, potentailly have an effect.

In the sense of a normal bodybuilder rather minimal effect.

Back