Olive oil

skinnyman

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Extra virgin olive oil is a poor source of EFAs-no omega 3s and only about 10% omega 6s. 88% of what extra virgin olive oil contains-saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids-are unnecessary because the body can make them from sugar and starch. If these were health-making, eating white sugar or white flour should be able to keep us healthy
from click

darn! could we get EFAs from other sources than the tablets?
and are they reaaalllyy that essential? :D (obviously ignoring the word ESENTIAL in EFA)

does not getting enough EFAs hinder growth?
but i've been getting most of my fat calories from olive oil! but but...

Essential fatty acids are necessary for hormone production, cell repair, and they help fight inflammatory responses in the body, so yes, lack of EFA's in the diet could hinder growth. Monounsaturated fats like olive oil are heart healthy and generally better for you then other fats. If you are concerned about getting enough EFA's in the diet just take a good fish oil supplement which has the key EFA's needed by the body in the right form.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ Nov. 14 2005,2:16)]will eating fresh fishes help? ;)
Of course. Eating fish would probably be the best way to get the EFA's provided you eat it regularly. Stick with fatter cold water species like salmon. Canned tuna is not really a good source.

so fish doesn't contain every EFAs but somehow and someway it does right? so what else besides fish? :D
fish oil capsules too out of the budget for a teenager like me.
crazy.gif

Remember that Omega3 is not ONE fatty acid, it is a collection of fatty acids characterised by a double bond three carbons down from the methyl end of the fatty acid.

the body cannot insert a double bond at position 3 (omega 3) or position 6 (omega 6) because we lack the enzyme to do so. We can elongate the shorter chain fatty acids into longer chain, so only the short chain are officially essential (because essential in nutrition sense means that it cannot be made within the body).

The Essential fatty acids are

Linoleic acid (LA) - an Omega 6 fatty acid

Alpha linolenic acid (ALA) - an Omega 3 fatty acid

Fish predominantly contains eicosapenaenoic (EPA - omega 3) and docosahexaenoic (DHA - omega 3) acid.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Nov. 15 2005,5:00)]Remember that Omega3 is not ONE fatty acid, it is a collection of fatty acids characterised by a double bond three carbons down from the methyl end of the fatty acid.
So, omega 3 is a collection of fatty acids.. then salmon would be a good source of EFA's?

No, because not all Omega 3s are essential fatty acids, only ONE of them. and that salmon does not contain much of these fatty acids, salmon contains mainly other fatty acids

from USDA database on raw Chinook
18:2 undifferentiated 0.122g
18:3 undifferentiated 0.089g
both may be "EFA's " only a small amount of each, and not all of these fatty acids will be the EFA's but will also include other isomers of 18:2 and 18:3

now the long chain omega 3s that are NOT EFAs
20:5 n-3 1.008g
22:5 n-3 0.301g
22:6 n-3 0.944g

far greater amounts of NON-EFA omega 3s
(per 100g)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jester @ Nov. 19 2005,2:31)]Which foods are the best for the Omega3 EFAs then?
Flax seeds. Grind up and toss them on salads, in a shake or a bowl of oatmeal. Or you can eat them like they are.

Regardless, I think that as long as you are getting some fish oil and possibly some flax, you can still look to olive oil as an easy way to boost your calorie intake.

Unfortunately, flax seed has a tendency to absorb cadmium, which can mess up your kidneys.

Regards,
/ R

Northern Edge Flax is grown in far nothern Canada, one of the few spots in North America where the soil is free of toxic metals such as cadmium. Plus it has been properly cleaned, cared for and even tested to make sure it is free of other contaminants.

Flaxseeds are commonly ground before consumption. This is a highly oxidizing process, as the seed is nearly reduced to a powder. The nutrients in the flax are exposed to the air in the process. Eating the flax promptly after grinding would minimize the development of rancidity. On the other hand, if the blades are not properly cleaned each time, the oil residue on the blades becomes rancid and effects the next batch with free radical damage.
source: http://www.flaxfood.com/updates.htm

Guys

EFA's have many sources, the best is to take from different sources, thebest to my knowledge is Flax seed oil, but here's a link to a real good source of information.

UDO Erasmus

I think I'd be a bit reluctnat to kill olive oil as that bit of article does, overeager scientists?

Yet to take olive oil as the sole source of EFA's is not correct, it is a fattening oil if used incorrectly, IMO.

Anyway the page is taking too long to load look up the article
"fats that heal, fats that kill" it is well written and informative, I have it but it is too long to load.

Cheers

i don't have access to flax seed oils from where i come from. so i stick to olive oil and oils from the fishes i eat and the fats that come along with beef. I think i'm doing fine.. and only get fat when i want to:p olive oil is still better than the oils they use in fast food anyway.
i still have to get fish oil capsules

in terms of EFAs, i'm not sure how much i'm getting.
sad.gif

Back