Carb Cycling

OneMoreRep

I;m going to probably cycle my carbs next time i cut...

Will be soemthing like,

MON - 2 g pr lb
TUES - 1 g pr lb
WED - 0.5 g pr lb
THURS - 2 g pr lb
FRI - 1 g pr lb
SAT - 0.5 g pr lb
SUN - 3 gr pr lb (carb up)...

My only concern is the calories get real low on the 1 g and .5 g a day days... so to make up for it should i just up the protein a bit? or leave it?

Carb cycling has worked well for me (thanks BIZ).  You may need to experiment a bit to find what works best for your body.  As per BIZ`s post on this subject, my mid carb days are on lifting days (MWF).  Off days I go under .5/lb and on weekends I go at to about 2 to 2.5/lb.  My on days are actually somwhat less that 1gm/lb but this enough to get me through my workouts.  I was also concerned about the total my total caloric intake on the low carb days and was using MCT oil to compensate which seems to have worked quite well. I was also using cider vinegar before carb meals(the vinegar is an everyday thing).  Unfortunately I`ve run out of both and wouldn`t you know it, my fat loss has slowed considerably.  I`ll start the vinegar again when I get a chance to stop by the store and I`m still waiting for my MCT to be delivered.  Again, you may want to try different ratios/timings to find what works best for you.
The best thing I`ve found about carb cycling is that my muscle gains haven`t diminished a bit.

benefit ?

no nocarb day you eat almost nothing but protein and some (a little) fat so very little calories
it enables you to slow down a build up of body fat in case of bulk diet
or makes easier to loose body fat because of high carb day
just trics
but for some it works  
thumbs-up.gif

Aside from the obvious effect of lowering your total caloric intake as you lower carbs, it can effec the way your body uses the carbs you do eat. This can be helpful if you are not doing a lot of cardio.

Lowering carbs lowers insulin and lowering insulin allows lipolysis to occur more easily. However, you can accomplish this in two ways, 1) eat fewer carbs, 2) burn more carbs. Both will have a similar effect.

Also, if you create an environment that is "usually" carb deficient, the body's enzymatic environment will change in order to favor fat metabolism. As this occurs, the body will try to spare carbohydrate. As it does this, it tends to sequester the carbs that you do eat quickly and they have less of an impact on lipolysis and lipogenesis.

I think one this should be kept in mind however, and that is the overalll effectiveness of your diet will still depend on the total number fo calories you eat "over time". After all, losing body fat is primarily a function of insufficient calories. Anything we do apart from that in an effort to manipulate our metabolism by juggling macronutrient ratios will have a minimal effect compared to our overall caloric intake.

As I figured, overall caloric intake is of the utmost importance.

When you spoke of your body favoring metabolizing fats over carbs when minimal carbs are present, you were speaking of ketonic diets, right?

If one has a highly physical job (15 hours of warehouse box moving at very quick paces, especially during Summer months), they shouldn't really let their total carbs drop below 30-40%, correct? I don't want to screw myself with the job, since it requires a lot of physical energy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When you spoke of your body favoring metabolizing fats over carbs when minimal carbs are present, you were speaking of ketonic diets, right?
no
if carbs are present they have priority
if there are limited, fats are becoming major energy source (with the exepion of anaerobics activities - simplification)
all in balance
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If one has a highly physical job (15 hours of warehouse box moving at very quick paces, especially during Summer months), they shouldn't really let their total carbs drop below 30-40%, correct? I don't want to screw myself with the job, since it requires a lot of physical energy.
I am trying to keep carbs as low as possible for myself
and the level of carbs varies from person to person
so it requires a little bit of trials

Back