good fats

faz

i have been thinking of taking some good fats recomended by og..but which are best i have heard a lot of bbrs talk about udos choice,and their is also fish oils such as cod liver,and nut oils,should i take a combination of these or is there one that contains all,

I believe that Udo's Choice Oil has the best ratio of Omega 3 to 6 fats. However, I have recently seen some oils on various european sites that seem to be pretty good also. With flax seed oil such as Udo's, you can take less than you would have to with other oils such as fish oil to get the same level of benefits.

i was hoping you would reply og..i think i will try the udos..thanks again
worship.gif

Bryan recommends taking 1 tbsp flax seed oil per 100 lbs body weight and 4 g fish oil per day. (And 6 g CLA if you can afford it). Can I just take Udo's Choice Oil Blend and meet the same requirements?
How much should I be taking?
Should I spread my intake throughout the day?
Can I take it with a meal or should I take it after a meal?
Thanks.

Before going bannanas on UDO's Choice, please understand that it depends on what it is you are looking for in your supplements. Udo's may be a very good supplement, obviously well liked by O&G ;) , but it surprises me that it contains no fish oils which are rich in EPA, DHA, the two factors looked at in many of the studies on heart health. Plus the other benefits EPA, DHA, can give.

Udo's own literature points this out,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sources of n-3s are flaxseeds and green leafy vegetables. The n-3 derivatives EPA and DHA are found in high fat, cold water fish such as albacore tuna, sardines, Atlantic halibut and salmon, coho, pink and king salmon, Pacific and Atlantic herring, Atlantic mackerel, and lake trout. Small amounts of EPA and DHA n-3s are also found in oysters and other shellfish.

The fish listed above are preferred sources of n-3 and n-6 derivatives, because they are the richest sources, and contain both, with more n-3s.

Also looking at AHA Dietary Guidelines
Revision 2000,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]5. N-3 Fatty Acid Supplements
A number of investigators have reported on beneficial effects of increased N-3 fatty acid intake in patients with coronary artery disease.(76 77 78 79) Several of these studies used supplements containing long-chain N-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA, or "fish oil") at doses ranging from 850 mg to 2.9 g/d. Other studies have shown that higher doses (3 to 4 g/d) provided as supplements can reduce plasma triglyceride levels in patients with hypertriglyceridemia.(71) High intakes of fatty fish (1 serving per day) can result in intakes of EPA and DHA of 900 mg/d. Further studies are needed to establish optimal doses of N-3 fatty acids (including EPA, DHA, and alpha-linolenic acid) for both primary and secondary prevention of coronary disease as well as the treatment of hypertriglyceridemia.

For secondary prevention, beneficial effects of a high dose of N-3 fatty acids on recurrent events have been reported in the GISSI trial.79 A 20% reduction in overall mortality (P=0.01) and a 45% reduction in sudden death (P<0.05) after 3.5 years was reported in subjects with preexisting coronary heart disease (who were being treated with conventional drugs) given 850 mg of N-3 fatty acid ethyl esters (as EPA and DHA) either with or without vitamin E (300 mg/d). Other studies have demonstrated beneficial effects of N-3 fatty acids EPA, DHA (1.9 g/d),(77 78) and alpha-linolenic acid (0.8% of energy)(76 77) in subjects with coronary heart disease. Consumption of 1 fatty fish meal per day (or alternatively, a fish oil supplement) could result in an N-3 fatty acid intake (ie, EPA and DHA) of 900 mg/d, an amount shown to beneficially affect coronary heart disease mortality rates in patients with coronary disease.
shows the importance of EPA/DHA and deriving these from consumption of fatty fish or fish oil supplements to be the most efficient means.

Now I am not saying Udo's is bad or otherwise but I feel an important aspect has been left out of their blend. My opinion only.

For overall health and well being stick to the basics they have worked for a millenia.

Consume a variety of fruits and vegetables and grain products, including whole grains.

Include fat-free and low-fat dairy products, fish, legumes, poultry, and lean meats.

Match intake of energy (calories) to overall energy needs; limit consumption of foods with a high caloric density and/or low nutritional quality, including those with a high content of sugars.

Maintain a level of physical activity that achieves fitness and balances energy expenditure with energy intake; for weight reduction, expenditure should exceed intake.

sleeping.gif

dkm i do eat tuna salmon nuts etc,the reason i was thinking of getting more good fats was 1,i didnt know if i was getting enough 2,i have read somewhere that if you eat healthy fats that your body tends not to hold onto unhealthy fats.dont know if this is correct

I'm not saying don't use Udo's Choice, I was only pointing to the fact that it does "leave a little to be desired" IMO.

If you wish to use it go right ahead it surely couldn't hurt ya and more than likely will help ya. O&G likes it a lot, in my book that's saying something there even though I personally prefer to take flax AND fish oil. Bottom line is eat healthy and exercise especially when you get our age ;).

KEEP IN MIND THE CONVERSION RATE IN FLAX AND WALNUTS ETC.. TO EPA AND DNA HAS NOT BEEN SHOWN TO BE VERY EFFICIENT

Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 1998;68(3):159-73. Related Articles, Links
Can adults adequately convert alpha-linolenic acid (18:3n-3) to
eicosapentaenoic acid (20:5n-3) and docosahexaenoic acid (22:6n-3)?
Gerster H.

Vitamin Research Department, F. Hoffman-Roche Ltd, Basel, Switzerland.

A diet including 2-3 portions of fatty fish per week, which
corresponds to the intake of 1.25 g EPA (20:5n-3) + DHA (22:6n-3) per
day, has been officially recommended on the basis of epidemiological
findings showing a beneficial role of these n-3 long-chain PUFA in the
prevention of cardiovascular and inflammatory diseases. The parent
fatty acid ALA (18:3n-3), found in vegetable oils such as flaxseed or
rapeseed oil, is used by the human organism partly as a source of
energy, partly as a precursor of the metabolites, but the degree of
conversion appears to be unreliable and restricted. More specifically,
most studies in humans have shown that whereas a certain, though
restricted, conversion of high doses of ALA to EPA occurs, conversion
to DHA is severely restricted. The use of ALA labelled with
radioisotopes suggested that with a background diet high in saturated
fat conversion to long-chain metabolites is approximately 6% for EPA
and 3.8% for DHA. With a diet rich in n-6 PUFA, conversion is reduced
by 40 to 50%. It is thus reasonable to observe an n-6/n-3 PUFA ratio
not exceeding 4-6. Restricted conversion to DHA may be critical since
evidence has been increasing that this long-chain metabolite has an
autonomous function, e.g. in the brain, retina and spermatozoa where
it is the most prominent fatty acid. In neonates deficiency is
associated with visual impairment, abnormalities in the
electroretinogram and delayed cognitive development. In adults the
potential role of DHA in neurological function still needs to be
investigated in depth. Regarding cardiovascular risk factors DHA has
been shown to reduce triglyceride concentrations. These findings
indicate that future attention will have to focus on the adequate
provision of DHA which can reliably be achieved only with the supply
of the preformed long-chain metabolite.

THANK YOU
COACH HALE

coach thanks for the detailed reply but it was a little over my head (excuse my ignorance) could you explain in laymans terms, :confused: :D

here is an explaination

The parentfatty acid ALA (18:3n-3), found in vegetable oils such as flaxseed orrapeseed oil, is used by the human organism partly as a source ofenergy, partly as a precursor of the metabolites, (EPA and DHA) but the degree of conversion appears to be unreliable and restricted.

does not convert to EPA or DHA well which is ultimately what we are looking or in most cases

with a background diet high in saturatedfat conversion to long-chain metabolites is approximately 6% for EPAand 3.8% for DHA. With a diet rich in n-6 PUFA, conversion is reduced
by 40 to 50%. This implies the typical high sat and polyunsaturated fat (lacking omega 3s) diet effects the conversion rate even more

take home message in my opinion for most cases fish oils are supreme in comparison to flax higher quality, and beneifits, cheaper and lower calories (could be good or bad depending on the person)

coach hale
www.maxcondition.com
MaxConditon Forum
where practicality meets science

cheers coach...i have just bought some udos choice 3,6,9, oil
i will get some cod liver oil as well just to be sure i am getting what i need. :D

Back