Ketogenic diet

cilius,

Killer man. Sounds like you are getting ripped. Great job. It good to hear you are making great progress.

Thanks for sharing your diet. I'm ripping now to, so I may just borrow some ideas from your diet.

Take care and keep up the great work.

Regards,
Jesse

Thx Jessejr,

Its been fun trying :) my next nutritional experiment is going to be even more fun. Whenever i get a quite moment, I'll post it in here... all this diet thing really got me hooked - I've never cared much about planning my nutrition, but it is actually fun... and rewarding.

Good luck with the diet ;)

hi there guys, i have some questions. i started the diet, and its real hard, i never planned anything except my HST workouts :D , but now i have no choice, i'm eating mostly eggs, chicken, cheese and tuna or salmon (no bread, rice, patato's or pasta's) i'm not even drinking any milk and fruitjuices etc. is this correct, i'm getting kinda bored drinking water with my dinner. i drink my tea with teaspoon of sugar though.and i mix my protein with water, which really sucks to, doesn't mix well. would a couple of glasses of juice be harmfull? is it ok to drink milk while on the diet? i could really use a couple of pointers. and one more question, is it just me or does anything with some sugar in it taste kinda funny, like sweetners (soda light) kinda funny. plz advise guys

ps my workouts are still going ok though, even though i feel kinda hungry at times.
blush.gif

i'm not even drinking any milk and fruitjuices etc. is this correct,
SINCE YOU ARE NOT PLANNING TO GO PALEO DIET YOU CAN DRINK MILK (UNLESS YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO IT), BUT PLEASE COUNT CARBOS FROM MILK (~3G PER 100G OF MILK)
THE SAME (COUNTING) IS FOR FRUITJUICES
BUT STILL BETTER TO EAT FRUITS THEN TO DRINK IT ;)
i'm getting kinda bored drinking water with my dinner. i drink my tea with teaspoon of sugar though
DO YOU COUNTING SUGAR TOWARD YOUR LIMIT OF CARBOS??
and i mix my protein with water, which really sucks to, doesn't mix well. would a couple of glasses of juice be harmfull?
WHEN ON KETO DIET I AM USING PROTEIN POWDER WITH HEAVY CREAM AND WATER, TASTE GREAT
is it ok to drink milk while on the diet?
LOOK UP ;)
is it just me or does anything with some sugar in it taste kinda funny, like sweetners (soda light) kinda funny. plz
WHEN ON KETO MY TASTE IS CHANGING, NOT YOUR WAY, BUT IT FEELS DIFFRENT

thnx for the quick response. my protein powder is tastless, so mixing it with wateris really bad tasting(chalky). and yes i'm counting carbs. what i found though is that my fat score is way up there with my protein score in terms of daily percentage in calories. its almost the same sometimes. it that normal on the CKD?? ZMT, what does your diet look like (foods and beverages plz)? any suggestions would be welcome.

ZMT, what does your diet look like (foods and beverages)
Sample menu:
1. 6 eggs with onion and some lard
2. some meat (eg chicken) with little low carb veggies
3. more meat with more veggies
4. protein powder with olive oil, and coconut oil
5. pork-meat maybe with little fruit
I am using a kind of CKD called NHE (check it out NHE/URL]

thnx ZMT, i read the info on the site, and it looks like it rocks. i think that in conbination with HST, that this could be awesome. i'll see if i can get the book here in the netherlands.
worship.gif
worship.gif

what do u mix your protein shakes with, and what do u drink all day except from water

i'll see if i can get the book here in the netherlands.
I LIVE I N POLAND AND NO PROBLEM WITH NHE :)
It's all about the calories, but if you want to walk around with stinky breath
YEAH SURE IT'S ABOUT CALORIES, BUT FOR ME IT IS THE NICEST DIET TO LOSE BODYFAT
NO HUNGER, NO RESTRICTED FOODS, JUST HEAVEN IN COMPARISION TO OTHER DIETS I HAVE TRIED (A LOT) ;)

ZMT,

I had a look at the NHE site you posted. Looks like a good plan that is sustainable long term and easy to follow. Regardless of what is nutritionally optimal, a healthy diet has to be 'doable'. Sounds like you found a winner
thumbs-up.gif

Good luck.

'Regardless of what is nutritionally optimal, a healthy diet has to be 'doable'. Sounds like you found a winner'

STILL DON'T KNOW HOW TO QUOTE DIFFRENT PARTS OF PREVIOUS POSTS
sad.gif

YEAH I HAVE THE SAME IMPRESSION

should i continue low carb during SD?? or just moderate carbs, dont want to gain fat.

IT DEPENDS ON YOU :)
YU WILL NOT GAIN FAT DURING 9 DAYS UNLESS YOU ARE EATING ALOT AND i THINK YOU ARE NOT THIS KIND OF PERSON
I FOLLOWED NHE FOR 4 HST CYCLES WITH NO CHANGE IN DIET

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]STILL DON'T KNOW HOW TO QUOTE DIFFRENT PARTS OF PREVIOUS POSTS

OK, afer you hit reply, scroll down and select the text you want to quote. Copy it (right-click or ctrl-c). Then go back up to the white area. Hit the quote button to begin a quote, paste the text (right-click or ctrl-v), and then hit the quote button again to end the quote.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jessejr @ Oct. 20 2002,6:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A Ketogenic diet is pretty intense and you have to consume a lot of protien to keep the mass on.

I thought the macronutrient split for a keto diet was high fat, moderate (note- not high) protein and low carbs. I think I've read that eating high amounts of protein could possibly keep one out of ketosis on these diets - not that being in ketosis matters a whole lot on these sorts of diets anyway.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Keebler Elf @ Dec. 04 2002,1:27)]I think I would prefer the TKD altho the Zone comes out on top for me, cos of sheer lack of hunger and always getting just enough carbs to stay out of keto.
Ditto. I think one of the major probs with keto/low carb diets is that most people invariably gain the weight back (and sometimes a little extra) when they resume normal eating.

I think adopting an eating approach like the Zone is a more sane approach to fat loss that (in my opinion) works just as well as the low carb/keto diets. The advantages of an eating plan such as the Zone are the variety of foods you can choose from, the added health benefits associated with eating tons of veges etc, and just an overall sense of feeling dang good; something that is pretty rare for a lot of people following keto diets and eating bacon grease and cheese day in and day out. I also think that in-gym performance benefits from having a few extra carbs to play with as well.

From Lyle: "Seriously, one of the most staggeringly 'brilliant' comments I read one time in a review paper was to the effect of "While we don't know what the ideal diet for the treatment of obesity is, it will most likely contain adequate protein, sufficient dietary fat, and emphasize fruits and vegetables."

Seriously, 3 decades and 10 billion dollars worth of nutritional research and they came up with what my grandmother knew 50 years ago. I mean duh.

Keto and Zone diets force people to get sufficient protein and fatty acids (and hopefully EFA's).

They also control hunger better. Meaning better compliance and calorie control. Both of which are crucial aspects of a diet. In that sense (hunger/calorie control), lowered carbs may very well be considered to have a 'metabolic advantage'. And one that makes such diets very beneficial from a fat/weight loss standpoint.

But in terms of causing significantly greater fat loss/less muscle loss at a given calorie level, the data just doesn't seem to be there. Not in the research, not in the real world. Not assuming the person is getting enough protein and EFA's in the first place. Basically, that's the issue in a lot of studies. Take someone with a crap diet (usually too little protein) to begin with, and a keto diet will be superior. Ketosis is VERY protein sparing if your protein intake is inadequate to begin with (many studies give 50 grams of protein or so while dieting). Assuming protein intake is adquate to begin with (at least 1.5 g/kg bodyweight), ketosis doesn't appear to have much of an impact.

And don't get me wrong, I really wanted it to be true, I really wanted such diets to cause greater fat loss and spare muscle better. I really did. This is just one of those cases where I don't think the research/real worl results support the idea that they do.

Basically, the way I see it you have to first:
1. Meet certain requirements: caloric deficit, protein, EFA's. That's required of any diet, no matter the interpretation.

2. Figure out the rest of the diet dependent on the person. If they are active, have decent insulin sensitivity, and enjoy eating lower GI carbs, a moderate to higher carb diet will probably be sufficient. Something like 50/25/25 or 40/30/30. If they are very inactive, highly insulin resistant and/or simply won't remove the high GI crap from their diet, reducing carbs further or removing them competely may be the only workeable approach to get calories/hunger under control.

Basically, there's what's required (deficit, protein, EFA's) and there's what's optional (everything else). What's required isn't up to debate: it applies to everyone. What's optional depends on the needs of the person.
"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Camelia @ Jan. 04 2003,2:36)]I think one of the major probs with keto/low carb diets is that most people invariably gain the weight back (and sometimes a little extra) when they resume normal eating.
Yes!
thumbs-up.gif
Exactly my objection to keto as a temporary fat loss plan, and certainly my experience both for myself and my clients.

Still, it is an easy and effective way for me to control calories. I'm hoping that CKD with its frequent refeeds will become my body's idea of normal, at least for a while...

Let the meltdown begin!
Kate

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blade @ Jan. 04 2003,12:49)]Keto and Zone diets force people to get sufficient protein and fatty acids (and hopefully EFA's).
The premise of the newly revise Zone recommendations is that EFA's, particularly Omega 3's constitute the foundation of one's diet. (Sears has a pyramid where Fish Oils form the bottom layer of the triangle) While I probably don't agree that EFA's are more important than the other macros, they are another important piece of the pie. Isocalorically balanced pie of course. ;)

Back