Ketogenic diet

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate @ Jan. 04 2003,5:07)]Still, it is an easy and effective way for me to control calories. I'm hoping that CKD with its frequent refeeds will become my body's idea of normal, at least for a while...
Let the meltdown begin!
Kate
My husband is the same way. When it comes to carbs, it's all or nothing for him. I'm trying to force him on a Zone diet, but he loves his bread and pastas too much.

When dieting he would rather go without carbs for 6 days knowing that he can go wild for one day.

hey cilius, still around? had some questions now that i'm considering the CKD:

what routine (exercises, sets) did you use in that cycle?

you mentioned you had trouble doing the carb-up, am i correct? could you elaborate on this? otherwise, how did you try going about it?

hi guys one question, since i eat hardly any carbs, when should i take my creatine?? and since i dont get the benefit of the insulin spike, should i double my dosage to be sure i get enough creatine in the muscles?

To Blade

I agree on your point of view, no significant difference between ketonic diets and conventional diets have yet been proven – unless you are an obese African woman (high protein/low carb seems to work better here). Anyways, doing a CKD helps a lot of people staying on the diet… probably because it seems more advanced and interesting.

Tai4ji2x

Just follow your normal routine. You might feel a little dizzy from the workouts now and then, but it only lasts for a couple of sets (given a 500 kcal deficit).

The problem I had with the carb-up, was my eager to be a part of the party crowd  I had my carb-up planned out nicely, but something always came up (it was Friday and Saturday)… guess that’s just the nature of dieting.

thanks cilius, although could i still ask you to give a sense of your routine's volume (types of exercises, total # sets)? that's actually what i'm interested in. much appreciated. i'm interested in how my own intentions to possibly do a slightly more abbreviated routine (predominantly compounds) might require modifications as a result of trying keto or vice versa.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cilius @ Jan. 14 2003,1:03)]To Blade
I agree on your point of view, no significant difference between ketonic diets and conventional diets have yet been proven – unless you are an obese African woman (high protein/low carb seems to work better here). Anyways, doing a CKD helps a lot of people staying on the diet… probably because it seems more advanced and interesting.
It has been shown a large number of times that a keto diet provides no benifit over any other style of diet. The main advantage seems to be appetite suppression, and because of the water loss, a quick weight loss.

It also makes sense physiogically, keto is nothing really special.

Aaron
Agree on that one... Another important factor to stay away of ketonic diets, is the variety of foods, or should I say lack of variety.

Tai4ji2x
I only did one set of each exercise, instead I included 2-4 exercises for each body part. Not sure I would do that again, my current routine consists of 16 different exercises, but I am doing a superset of calves, abs and hamstrings. A little superset medley… it really saves a lot of time for me, and the fatigue in my calves really doesn’t bother me during abtraining (I do 1 set of calves and immediately after, one set of abs… then I rest).

thanks for keeping up with the thread, cilius. mind yet another inquiry? ;)

your sample diet on page one has "150g" eggs for breakfast. isn't that like almost a dozen eggs? :confused: also, was your salmon portion likely to be the same size as the one chicken breast?

as for pre/post WO, you included oils in your shakes. did you feel this interfered with the absorption at all? particularly the pre-WO shake? i understand going keto requires oil, but was just wondering how the WO-oriented nutrition accounts for this.

thanks again

hope you don't mind me taking the eggs part on this one cilius, 150g eggs is about 3 eggs. i just bought a little kitchen scale 3 days ago, to track my meals :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]hope you don't mind me taking the eggs part on this one cilius
Not at all :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]was your salmon portion likely to be the same size as the one chicken breast?
Ehhh what? The quantity was pretty much the same...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]as for pre/post WO, you included oils in your shakes. did you feel this interfered with the absorption at all? particularly the pre-WO shake? i understand going keto requires oil, but was just wondering how the WO-oriented nutrition accounts for this.
Well going into ketosis requires low carbohydrate intake. To be honest with you, I just added the oil without any research…
blush.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cilius @ Jan. 17 2003,7:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]was your salmon portion likely to be the same size as the one chicken breast?
Ehhh what? The quantity was pretty much the same...
just wondering cuz the measurement in grams ("g"?) was quite a bit different.
blush.gif
thanks for the replies.

WOW
wow.gif
, appetite suppression is amazing on keto! granted, i'm very early into my trial with it, but things seem promising. i finished my first HST cycle on thursday last week, and ate maintenance until saturday. on sunday i started gradually ramping down my calories and cutting out carbs and eventually going with a ratio of about 65% fat and ~30% protein. the past two days i've been hovering around 1950-2100 calories (tracked meticulously with fitday) and eating every 3.5-4.5 hours with almost NO HUNGER OR CRAVINGS. energy levels for everyday tasks doesn't seem too bad; in fact, i didn't really have any of the usual fatigue or mental slowness people usually attribute to the transition (i've used ketostix to confirm i'm in ketosis, plus i occaisionally notice the breath, hehe). we'll see how it goes when i start my 15's next week though
tounge.gif
i will be doing a CKD, which coincidentally has my first refeed just in time for the chinese new year and all its carb-lovin goodness! ;)

so far so good!
happy.gif
i really have to say, since i've been in calorie deficits (and even maintenance) before with moderate carb intake, that the difference in appetite suppression this time doing keto is quite noticeable indeed. really no urge to binge at all on anything.

btw, in case people wondered, for numerous reasons (personal, circumstantial and otherwise), i was no longer able to eat mostly vegetarian. i include fish regularly again, have switched back to consuming more dairy (including protein supplements aside from soy and rice proteins which were the mainstays before), and now do include other meats. this facilitates trying a low-carb diet much more easily, as you can imagine. not a big moral leap, as my brother and i were eating vegetarian outside of "animal rights" motivations.

just in case there are people that want to do low-carb vegetarian though, don't despair, try out these sites for advice:

http://www.holdthetoast.com/cgi-bin....8124faq

http://www.immuneweb.org/lowcarb/

http://www.geocities.com/msweathe/veggie.html

Back