low GI vs high GI

kurnia38

I post this question in the "John Berardi" topic, but I'm curious to find out more.

Assuming one is underfeeding, and get enough protein and essential fat, will the source of carb (high GI vs low GI) influence the rate of fatloss?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Assuming one is underfeeding, and get enough protein and essential fat, will the source of carb (high GI vs low GI) influence the rate of fatloss?

assuming the same caloric deficit there is no difference in fatloss. I remember a few studyes comparing two diets (which created the same caloric deficit) one almost sugars only while other low gi: no differences in fatloss in hte end.

I am sure someone can point you to that study if you wishl,anyway ,as chupa said,i cant see how could a person include sugars while dieting.Personally i try to eat only the bulkyest foods to keep hunger in check and sugars definately are not an option.

What if we throw away the assumption that the subject is getting adequate protein intake and essential fat intake? Will the statement "caloric intake is all that matters" still shold?

In a hypocaloric state? I can't see why any permutation of macronutrient intake would affect fat loss per se. Oh, variations in TEF might add up over a long enough period (think, like, maybe a pound one way or the other over a few months, bfd), but otherwise...

Without adequate protein you'd see increased muscle wasting and without adequate EFAs you be running into more hormonal problems than you can shake a stick at, but thousands of dieters have starved themselves thin on high-carb, low-protein/fat diets.

It usually all comes back once they start eating like human beings again, of course.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chupacabra @ Jan. 08 2004,7:33)]Without adequate protein you'd see increased muscle wasting and without adequate EFAs you be running into more hormonal problems than you can shake a stick at, but thousands of dieters have starved themselves thin on high-carb, low-protein/fat diets.
Thanks for answering my question.

Can you define what hormonal problems are? Thanks.

Btw, this is by far the best forum I've ever been in. Everyone is so helpful and knows what they're talking about... :)

any hormonal effects caused from a lack of EFAs would take a LONG time to show up in anyone (n-6 deficiency is extremely extremely rare,and a true deficiency of n-3 fats I dont think has ever happened)

Adipocytes carry enough EFAs to keep you going for a long time

but going without them is still not ideal

[b said:
Quote[/b] (boggy @ Jan. 08 2004,2:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Assuming one is underfeeding, and get enough protein and essential fat, will the source of carb (high GI vs low GI) influence the rate of fatloss?
assuming the same caloric deficit there is no difference in fatloss. I remember a few studyes comparing two diets (which created the same caloric deficit) one almost sugars only while other low gi: no differences in fatloss in hte end.
I am sure someone can point you to that study if you wishl,anyway ,as chupa said,i cant see how could a person include sugars while dieting.Personally i try to eat only the bulkyest foods to keep hunger in check and sugars definately are not an option.
Wouldn't a higher GI diet, especially when calorically restricted hurt your insulin sensitivity? Isn't insulin manipulation (keeping blood sugar steady, etc.) crucial to our progress?

Back