My diet sucks and I need to address it

ajntorinj

My bodybuilding career has been largely uneventful. I have never made significant gains in neither size nor strength. The only indicator of my desire for success is not achievement, but a dedication to go to the gym and to consume a disciplined diet [neither of which has yielded results]. At the root of my problems is, I believe, the aforementioned diet.
I believe it is my diet because of a lack of success in several training principles and methods I've employed [HST, HIT, Hardgainer, 3x3]. I took some prohormones recently to see if they could get me out of what I thought was a rut [how I managed to convince myself that years of labor with any significant return could be considered a rut, I don't know]. They couldn't, and had I not commited several novus' errors, I doubt the results would have been different.
My endless, cyclical cutting/bulking phases are so similar it is embarrassing. I start at around 165 lbs (I am 21 years old, 5'11" at around 10% BF at this point). Then I bulk until I'm around 180-5. At this point, I feel fat and miserable, so then I decide to lose some weight [I also believe I am sacrificing too much muscle in these all-too-familiar cutting cycles]. Eventually, I return to 165 [with only the most minute improvement].
So, what does my diet look like? Allow me to outline my atrocious diet while I was using the PHs recently (my normal diet is similar, and in brackets are what I usually eat for cutting). When bulking, I've tried eating between 3200 and 3600 calories, and I either got no results or fat. When cutting, I get around 1800-2000 kcals. In either case, the same 8 items on my grocey list make up my bulking and cutting diets. I've varied the foods somewhat over time, but not much.
Morning
1.5 cups of Honey Bunches of Oats [3/4 cup if cutting]
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
1 can of chunk tuna fish in water (I put ketchup on this, so as to make it edibe without raising calories too much)
2/3 cup of oatmeal (prior to adding water) [foregone when cutting]
Late Morning/Afternoon
1 Everything Bagel with 2-3 slices of turkey [1/2 bagel when cutting]
1 can tuna fish
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1.5 cups of Honey Bunches of Oats [foregone when cutting)
Late Lunch
2/3 cup of oatmeal (prior to adding water) [1/3 cup when cutting]
1 qt. of fat free milk
Evening Meal
1 Bagel with sliced turkey [1/2 bagel when cutting]
2 servings of whole wheat macaroni [foregone when cutting]
1 tablespoon of peanut butter [foregone when cutting]
1 Can tuna fish
Late Meal
2 eggs
another can of tuna fish if I've not met protein requirements
On days that I lift, I exchange one of the midday meals for pre and post workout shakes. They include:
1/2 tablespoon of flax oil
2 cups milk
5g creatine (not in post shake)
4-5 teaspoons of dextrose
1 serving of ON whey protein (22g protein)
When cutting, I often put the creatine, oil and protein in water without sugar and milk to cut more calories.
Isn't that horrible? Why do I eat like this? Part of it is that I am poor and in college, but it has mostly to do with my refusal to think rationally (which is a shame, considering how much I enjoy reading objectivist philosophy). If you'd like more horror, I have some spreadsheets I've used to count calories from several months ago, so that you may see the non-progress yourself.
What I am asking of you? What I want are some helpful eating suggestions, goals for calorie consumption, ideas for what a daily diet should look like and any helpful advice you can offer. I'm not planning on quitting, but I am planning on not wasting any more of my time and youth by not getting results. Thank you for reading. I hope you will offer me some sage advice.

PS I should mention what I want from my training. My ultimate goal (at the moment) is 200 lbs at 9% BF. I also want above-average cardiovascular endurance (I've cut this out from my routine thinking the cardio was interfering with my gains).

I find this very helpful.

You might want to also look into the UD2 diet my Lyle McDonald here

and lastly read this FAQ Diet and Nutrition

This should give you enough ammo to get your diet goals firing.

Break down & list the calorie total & macro totals (# grams & calories) for what you listed, and you may have part of your answer.

Thanks for the replies, fellas. Usually I'm a bit more rational, but I think being on PCT and not being happy with the results made me depressed.
I don't know how many times I've read Eating For Size [I guess one cannot do it enough times]. Usually I'd get fed up because I couldn't get the more impressive gains found in the results thread [I see now that I was thinking childishly]. At that point, I'd find a post that said to "eat more," and "HST requires a ton of calories," but those posts probably didn't pretain to me [I have a slow metabolism]. I'm just going to bulk patiently from now on: slowly, but surely. Bulk/Cut/Bulk/Cut cannot be healthy, and it certainly cannot lead to quality gains.

Back