Strange BF Caliper Results

jwjpilot

<span style='color:black'>I am on my 4th HST cycle, and have been cutting at the same time. I take my BF caliper measurements every 2 weeks or so on my suprailliac (approximately one inch above the right hipbone).

For the past 3-4 measurements (6-8 weeks) I have been barely losing any fat according to the calipers, or gaining a little even.
butbut.gif

However in that time period I have lost about 8-10 pounds.

In the mirror I think I look the leanest I ever have in my life, with quite a bit of fat loss.

So I thought I must be losing muscle.

But if I am losing muscle wouldn't I be losing strength?

I have lost strength in my biceps about 5lbs, and in my shoulder press, again about 5lbs.
Every other muscle though is the same strength, or I have gained strength.

Is a 5lb strength loss in the bicep and shoulder 8-10 lbs of muscle lost? I think not especialy because I have gained in other areas.

Or are my calipers crap? I use the cheapo click calipers, Lyle McDonald says they are prone to error.

Or am I losing fat on other areas of the body and just not on the suprailliac?

Please help!
It is a terrible feeling to work and work at losing BF, dieting and exercising like crazy only to measure and have the caliper say you GAINED fat!

Thanks very Much!

JWJ</span>

Yes, it's possible that you lose muscle while your strength remains the same, however I don't think this is the case.

You should measure at least 3 sites. Abdominal, chest and front thigh are good, but you can also add suprailiac. It is possible that you lose from one place and not somewhere else.

You shoud also make sure your technique is correct. If you measure the same site over 3-4 days, do you get about the same results ? There should not be significant variation.

While it is very probable that one will also lose some muscle while on diet, it is highly unlikely that he won't lose any bodyfat. Unless you are already extremely lean, like below 7%. So my best guess would be bad measuring technique, especially since the mirror shows fat loss. Either that, or broken calipers.

Thanks for replying micmic :)

It could certainly be bad technique. I have been using the calipers about 6 months, I thought I was fairly proficient, but that may not be true.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You shoud also make sure your technique is correct. If you measure the same site over 3-4 days, do you get about the same results ? There should not be significant variation.

Hum... I can get +/- 2mm+ in 2 seconds, and that is common.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]While it is very probable that one will also lose some muscle while on diet, it is highly unlikely that he won't lose any bodyfat. Unless you are already extremely lean, like below 7%.

My daily calorie deficit is probably about 600 kcal under maintenance. So I agree, how could I not be losing fat.
I am about 10-11% BF.

JWJ

Lose the click calipers and get some SlimGuides which are spring loaded and eliminate most of the possibility for error. You'll be glad you did.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KingProtein @ Mar. 15 2004,8:13)]Lose the click calipers and get some SlimGuides which are spring loaded and eliminate most of the possibility for error. You'll be glad you did.
I definitely agree!
I got so ticked off with my click calipers I broke them in half.
sneaky2.gif
:mad:

So no choice now but to get the Slimguides.

JWJ

how bout we step back for a second. what if its not the calipers. what if its you? maybe your stuck at a plateu, after all, 10-11 percent seems just right for a slowdown in fat loss. Try eating 200 cals over maintanance tomorrow. then dropping your calories down to where they were before for 3-4 days, then upping them back up again. This should work. maybe toss in some cardio. That, or your calipers are probably just fked up
crazy.gif

This may have already been mentioned, but you may be losing fat from many different fat stores, but little from the area you're checking. As suggested, use a 3-site w/ decent calipers.

Are you testing yourself or having someone do it?

And the advice about ramping up kcals temporarily may be just what you need to jump start leptin production and fire up that furnace. Unless you have great genetics, getting below 10% usually takes a more radical diet approach than just lowering kcals below maintenance. Good luck.

Back