Doing abs while bulking

Joe G

How important do you guys think doing abs is while bulking? I don't really have too much motivation to do abs while bulking because I know I'm not really gonna see them anyway. Do you think that neglecting them during a bulking cycle would have an effect on how good they look during a cutting cycle a few months later?

Joe G

what you think would happen if you would stop doing biceps during bulking?

Abs are muscles...you train them and they grow. You don`t train them...here comes hypotrophy

Hypotrophy?
laugh.gif
It's atrophy, dude...

When you are bulking is the prime time to get some growth in the abs, so I would definitely do something for them. Although people always warn about doing too much and getting large abs that stick out... and I always scoffed and said 'who cares? they can't get that bad...' And now, even when I was under 10% they still stick out a little bit. So be careful.

Do people actually want their abs to get bigger? Genuinely asking?!

Personally I'm happy to concentrate on pulling my stomach in (or zipping up and hollowing as the pilates phrase goes!) throughout my compound movements...theoretically I'm supposed to be doing nelson sit ups when I get back from the gym but it rarely happens! :)

Then again I'm more concerned with core strength than ab size, my stomach sticks out enough without bigger abs pushing it out further :mad:
tounge.gif

When I do do ab work I'm doing high rep bodyweight work, nothing designed to increase size dramatically.

Cheers

Rob

Your sayin deads and squats take care of all of your ab work?

How do your abs look when your lean?

Joe G

Deads, squats, standing presses, benches, chins when I have 20kg weights held between my knees...

... my abs are def. visible and pronounced when I'm lean, but I haven't been lean for a while
tounge.gif

I used to do a lot of sit ups and crunches a few years back, but I don't find the need to do them anymore.

For a lil while I was thinking that maybe I had overworked my abs and obliques, but then I checked out where the top of my hips are (width wise), and since then I don't really buy the argument about getting too wide etc from compounds....anyway, steering back...

It's all personal preference of course.

Back