Preworkout, Postworkout Shakes

Zack

I am shortly going to start a new HST cycle (currently doing the UD 2.0, and cutting like crazy).

I weigh around 198 lbs pretty with a bodyfat % of around 8-9. I am usually at around 12-15% BF.

Was considering the make up of the pre work out and post work out shakes. Here's the suggestion.

Preworkout:
30 grams maltodextrin
30 grams whey protein(80%)
3 grams creatine

Postworkout:
30 grams maltodextrin
100 grams whey protein (80%)
3 grams creatine

One hour later:
100 grams maltodextrin
30 grams of caseine/whey blend
5 grams flax oil

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Zack

why do you have such a high amount of protein post workout? I would rather do something like this:

post workout:
30g whey
0.7-1g dextrose for 1 kg of bodywheight - therefore around 80g or so

1-2 hours later (your next meal)
the same as you splitt up your macronutritions...

why do you take more protein post workout?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nemesis7884 @ Nov. 24 2004,3:07)]why do you have such a high amount of protein post workout? I would rather do something like this:
post workout:
30g whey
It is suggested in the HST FAQ to go high with protein, low with carbs, in the first postworkout shake. Then one hour later fill up with the main feed of carbs.

At least that's how I interpreted it.

Zack

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Zack @ Nov. 24 2004,7:01)]
wow.gif
7-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nemesis7884 @ Nov. 24 2004,3
wow.gif
7)]why do you have such a high amount of protein post workout? I would rather do something like this:
post workout:
30g whey
It is suggested in the HST FAQ to go high with protein, low with carbs, in the first postworkout shake. Then one hour later fill up with the main feed of carbs.
At least that's how I interpreted it.
Zack
Zack is refering to the same quote I posted in the Post Carb thread, but I don't remember it saying higher protein, only lowering carbs, but perhaps Zack saw something I overlooked.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is some interesting research on protein coming out that indicates that when you add carbs to your protein, more of it gets "trapped" (incorporated into gut proteins and/or oxidized in the gut and liver) in the gut. This is because of the anabolic effect of insulin on enterocytes. Insulin isn't really anabolic in skeletal muscle but it helps nonetheless.

Anyway, my point is this, Take your protein without (or with less) carbs immediately after you workout. This will allow more amino acids to skirt past your enterocytes and liver and make it into the blood stream where they are taken up by skeletal muscle. Then take your carbs one hour later, which still allows you to take advantage of the metabolic "window" post workout.

yea I think 100 grams more of whey is too much, you'll just be burning through your whey supply in a hurry.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ Nov. 24 2004,7:17)]yea I think 100 grams more of whey is too much, you'll just be burning through your whey supply in a hurry.
Ok.

It's 80 grams of protein, since the powder is 80%, BTW.

Still, I realise that either number, 100 or 80, isn't what we usually aim for.

Considering lowering the initial protein serving to 60 EFFECTIVE grams of protein. Would mean around 75 grams of powder.

Thanks for the help BTW. I appreciate the input.

Zack

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cliner9er @ Nov. 30 2004,6:01)]What is "effective" protein?
Let's say you have 100 grams of protein powder and it is 80%.

Then it is 80 effective grams of protein powder.

A lot of people (noobies) use the weight of the powder when they measure how much protein they are getting.

This is the real way of measuring it obviously.

Zack

?

thats a novel way of putting it

100g of protien powder (well usually a powder made from other compounds, not really a 'protein powder' but more casein powder, whey powder and the likes)

if it is 80% protien, thats all the protein in it, the other 20% aint ineffective protein, its ash, sugars, fat, flavourings etc...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Dec. 01 2004,11:37)]?
thats a novel way of putting it
100g of protien powder (well usually a powder made from other compounds, not really a 'protein powder' but more casein powder, whey powder and the likes)
if it is 80% protien, thats all the protein in it, the other 20% aint ineffective protein, its ash, sugars, fat, flavourings etc...
Sorry for not being as clear as you.

Thanks for making it more understandable.

Zack

Back