The most nutritious vegetable

I

imported_goal220

What is the most nutritious vegetable? I`ve always been a huge broccoli fan and have heard it referred to by more than one person as the "super vegetable". So, gram for gram, what vegetable packs the most punch gram for gram. The focus here should vitamins/minerals/fiber presuming the majority of carbs and protein come from other sources.

Don't waste your time with vegetables. They have literally no energy to provide. Your body uses more energy to process them then they actually contain! Plus vegetables taste horrible.

Focus on fruits. They taste great, they have all the vitamins/minerals/fiber you want, and they alot of fructose that you can use for energy. Plus fructose triggers insulin in a better way then most other carbohydrates. Fructose is very anabolic stuff.

So focus on fruits. Forget the vegetables

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kyleman1 @ Mar. 31 2005,6:52)]Don't waste your time with vegetables. They have literally no energy to provide. Your body uses more energy to process them then they actually contain! Plus vegetables taste horrible.
1) no
2) not the point
3) no
4) subjective

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Focus on fruits.
no
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] They taste great
Subjective
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]they have all the vitamins/minerals/fiber you want,
no
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] and they alot of fructose that you can use for energy. Plus fructose triggers insulin in a better way then most other carbohydrates.
no
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Fructose is very anabolic stuff.
no
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So focus on fruits. Forget the vegetables
No

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Mar. 31 2005,3:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (kyleman1 @ Mar. 31 2005,6:52)]Don't waste your time with vegetables. They have literally no energy to provide. Your body uses more energy to process them then they actually contain! Plus vegetables taste horrible.
1) no
2) not the point
3) no
4) subjective
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Focus on fruits.
no
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] They taste great
Subjective
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]they have all the vitamins/minerals/fiber you want,
no
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] and they alot of fructose that you can use for energy. Plus fructose triggers insulin in a better way then most other carbohydrates.
no
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Fructose is very anabolic stuff.
no
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So focus on fruits. Forget the vegetables
No
:)  :D  
happy.gif

laugh.gif

That's funny, nice reply Aaron, gotta love it.
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (goal220 @ Mar. 24 2005,7:56)]What is the most nutritious vegetable?   
Make a rainbow with your fruit/berry/veggie choices, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.

Mix it up and use Aaron's advice, a variety is best.

Fruits/Veggies/Berries, does a body good.

spinach, why do you think popeye ate it all the time?

thanks for the bandwidth,
ephman

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kyleman1 @ Mar. 31 2005,12:52)]Don't waste your time with vegetables. They have literally no energy to provide. Your body uses more energy to process them then they actually contain! Plus vegetables taste horrible.
Focus on fruits. They taste great, they have all the vitamins/minerals/fiber you want, and they alot of fructose that you can use for energy. Plus fructose triggers insulin in a better way then most other carbohydrates. Fructose is very anabolic stuff.
So focus on fruits. Forget the vegetables
worst post ever?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Mar. 31 2005,9:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What is the most nutritious vegetable?   Make a rainbow with your fruit/berry/veggie choices, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.
Mix it up and use Aaron's advice, a variety is best.
Fruits/Veggies/Berries, does a body good.
DKM, you`re correct and I really do make a serious effort to eat a rainbow but it`s tough to do everyday.  I should have clarified in my post that I already to get a decent balance of vegetables(most), berries(some), fruits(sparingly).  I was more curious in terms of value to the body`s overal function which veggie provides the greatest depth of nutrients.  
Not a very good post on my part.  I never though I`d hear the day that someone would actually say vegetables are a waste!  Very embarrasing that I have illicited potentially the worst post ever.  The saddest part is that BoSox is probably right.  I`m sure this will rank fairly well if there is ever a hall of shame here.  I`ll go crawl back under my rock now.  Maybe I should change my moniker to Hindenburg or Charlie Brown.

Goal, don't sweat it. He was referring to kylemans reply to your post. I'll second his recomendation too
sneaky2.gif

Dood's right, goal- don't sweat kyleman's post- it's just plain wrong. Aaron and Dan are quite right- variety is the key, and the rainbow concept is a great way to remember how to balance your intake. Goal, if you're having difficulty adhering to this principle on a daily basis, might I suggest that you consider making a hearty salad (that is, one that won't wilt over time in the fridge)? I am often pressed for time, and have found recipes like the following to be a real blessing to pack in a lunch on the way out the door (having made it over the weekend). You can vary this a zillion ways, maybe add a whole grain (like wheat berries or hulled barley) as well.

Red cabbage, shredded
Broccoli florets
Red apple chunks
Raisins
Orange sections
Dried pears, chopped
Dried apricots, chopped
Walnut pieces

Mix well with vinegar (I prefer seasoned rice vinegar) and olive oil. Store covered tightly in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. If you're counting cals, you can do the math to figure out how much fruit and oil you need or want.

Jake gave a lot of good choices.

I personally love a cucumber and tomatoe salad (doesn't include salad leaves, but can be included) which has vinegar (if you want it), olive oil, a little bit of granulated garlic powder, and a bit of chopped green onion, italian parsley and basil.

Very good stuff.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake @ April 03 2005,2:20)]I prefer seasoned rice vinegar
HMM, what's that taste like and where do you get it?

It's mild, yet tangy- you can actually sip it from a spoon without puckering up (although it's not as sweet as a good balsamic). There are a number of versions- the plain is, well- plain, but there is a "regular" seasoned, with salt and a little sugar, and there are versions with herbs, roasted garlic (another fave), and even orange and lemon. I get it at my local Whole Foods or Chinatown (I live in Philly). I prefer Marukan (probably the most readily available): http://www.marukan-usa.com/FAQ_List.asp

Back