Diet

Depends on a lot of different factors... but if you are bulking, I would shoot for 18x bodyweight(in lbs) for total calories, with at least 1 gram per pound of bodyweight in protein. Get around 20-30% of your calories from fat and get the rest of your diet from carbs.

Thanks,

Should I take 100% whey protein each day? Also, when im bulking, do I do any cardio to keep fat % low?

Doesn't matter what kind of protein you take. I advise taking a protein shake following after your WO. As for cardio and bulking, it depends on how many calories you are eating above maintenance. When bulking, you should shoot for 500 to 800 calories above maintenance.

I do not advocate doing cardio while bulking. It just wastes calories that could be better used building mass. That's only my opinion though, it's up to you.

Phoenix,
Regarding your protein question. Don't try to get your protein from just shakes. Stive to get it from meat, fish, eggs, & nuts. I believe you will get much better resluts. Your body requires other nutrients that are provided in solid foods that shakes do not provide. My knowledge is a little shaky on this, but there is also a endocrine hormone response that you get from eating solid food that you don't get from liquids. Also if you are going to use a protein shake as a meal replacement use a milk protein blend. It's better as it contains casien which is slower in digestion. Whey is faster and is best taken before or after your workout as it is absorbed more quickly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ Jan. 05 2006,5:34)]I do not advocate doing cardio while bulking.  It just wastes calories that could be better used building mass.  That's only my opinion though, it's up to you.
But don't you think cardio helps keep some of the extra fat down while bulking? or is this just a myth as well. I hope that's true because to be honest I freaking hate cardio, but love lifting.
happy.gif

I think cardio is a waste of time and precious calories during bulking. I would just take advantage of that time and weight train frequently instead of cardio.

pzhang

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sun-Tzu @ Jan. 07 2006,1:19)]But don't you think cardio helps keep some of the extra fat down while bulking? or is this just a myth as well. I hope that's true because to be honest I freaking hate cardio, but love lifting.
happy.gif
No. If you want to keep the fat off while bulking, then don't eat as much over maintenance. You are getting plenty enough metabolic boost from lifting weights while bulking, all cardio does in that case is burn calories... which means you'll have to eat more to gain mass.

Cardio is important and it has it's place, but I save cardio for when I'm cutting or maintaining mass, any time except when bulking.

Like noobie said, if anything I would just lift weights more frequently while bulking if the fat gain was getting to be too much.

I personally would include cardio even when bulking simply from a health point of view.

To prevent this harming your objective of bulking then you need to consume enough calories to replace those burnt during cardio.

I personally believe that if the calories are replaced including cardio is more anabolic than not although i appreciate if you're trying to eat as much as possible to bulk then it may be very difficult or near impossible to eat more to replace the calories burnt whilst doing cardio.

If you're interested in reducing fat gain whilst bulking then I would advocate HIIT and treating it in the same way as a workout (i.e pre and post workout shake).

Cheers

Rob

I've also been reading a lot of posts on here about eating 0.8-1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight, which is far less than the usually advocated 1g of protein per lb of bodymass. Further to that the optimal ratio of carbs to protein for growth is apparently 85:15 or thereabouts...althought that doesn't allown for fats.

In a pm Dan (dkm1987) advocated a basic diet of 15%/60%/25% of calories (protein/carbs/fat).

Cheers

Rob

Back