Deadlift

robefc

Hi everyone

I've just started deadlifting for the first time but have no frame of reference in terms of the weight I'm using.

I know everyone has different strength levels and people are stronger in different body parts but just for fun I wonder if people could let me know what their 10rm and 5rm are for flat bench (or db chest press) and deadlift - then I might be able to see what I should be aiming towards in comparison to my bench.

My 10Rm for bench is about 80kg and 5rm is 95kg
for db press its 32.5kg and 40kg

Cheers

Rob

Hey Rob,

I'm lifting for about 18 Months, and deadlifting since last autumn, started with about 75kg, now I'm on 150kg for 1-2 Reps.
And I'm sorry, I don't bench .. just dipping with 25kg for reps.

Simon

Bench Press
10RM - 285 lbs.
5RM - 325 lbs.

Deads (partials)
10RM - 315 lbs.
5RM - 350 lbs.

A strong bugger that Biz guy is!
worship.gif

Cheers guys, making me feel very weak!!

So Biz's 10Rm bench is 130kg and partial deadlift is 143kg which means for my partial deadlift 10RM I 'should' be looking at about 95kg...although I think my deadlift will be substantially behind my bench for a while.

I take it by partials you mean you don't go down very far? or do you not bend your legs at all?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (robefc @ June 14 2005,11:53)]I take it by partials you mean you don't go down very far? or do you not bend your legs at all?
I use the power rack and set the pins about 3-4 inches below my knees and start the dead from there.

I am starting deadlifts for the first time since last summer. Biz, why do you do partials.. are better for the joints?

I am not deadlifting this cycle because I am squating heavy and the deads add a bit too much strain on my lower back when I go heavy with squats. With squats I use up to a bit more than 400 pounds. That has shrunk me from 6'11" to a mere 5'8".  
laugh.gif
  However, I do not go a$$ to grass as that is too strenuous on my old knees.  
sad.gif
  I go about 15 degrees below parallel and keep my toes in front of my knees. For deads I usually use about 100 pounds less weight. I had a disk removed 8 years ago and don't want to put too much of a strain on my back.   :confused:   And when I do deadlift, I use a trap bar so as to not scrape my shins up to much or lean too far forward.  
thumbs-up.gif

So quite a strong bugger yourself then O&G! :)

Do you guys lift these poundages while keeping a constant strain throughout the exercise or do you put the bar down on the ground/rack re-set and then lift again?

And if so why? I presume you can use more weight that way but then the same would apply to most exercises so what makes the deadlift different? Because of the importance of re-setting to protect the back? Or just because the amount of extra weight that can be used makes a much larger difference than in most exercises?

Deadlift: 420X5, 360x10,
Bench: 210x5, 195x10
Dip: 110x5, 90x10
Chin: 85x5, 45x10
Squats: 380x5, 340x10

Currently I have not been doing squats or deads since the summer began due to all the cycling that I am doing but those were my last numbers.

So what's wrong with my bench? I out deadlift Biz by a little and he is on another planet for bench press. What's your secret? WOW!

:D

I dream of breaking 300 lbs for a 1RM bench sometime and I will be one happy guy.

Oh yeah, I forgot, (still buzzed about Biz's bench) that when I do dead lifts I don't keep constant tension throughout. I don't usually stand up again but I certainly let the weight down on the floor completely and just regroup and make sure I am set before the next lift.

Mike

dirty secret here: I never got into deads over 3 years of HST :confused:

But I want to. Biz et al: What grip do you guys use? And do you use straps?

I had been doing them with my palms facing out to get the strech in the bis -- and I would use straps.

My bench just hit 290 - 300 for 3 rm so stuff is kicking in -- for an old guy

Bob

I use an alternating grip with my right hand palm back and left hand palm forward. I use straps when the weight gets heavy but not when I am doing lighter weights. I find that the straps just help me to be able to concentrate on my form rather than worry about whether or not I am going to have the bar slip out of my hand. You can also put all your energy into the lift without having to hang on so tight.

Mike

I'm not sure what exactly my RMs are. I train at home without a partner, so in some cases I can't test as accurately... I need to get more weights soon too.
Anyway, this what I'm using right now. For my 5 RM for deads, I'm using all my weights, which is 250 lbs. I'm pretty sure I can do more than that. I'm benching 200 for my 5 RM. I'm not sure what my 5 RM for chins is, as I just added them in this cycle and didn't have time to test for a RM, but I know it's at least 45 pounds plus my bodyweight...

Back