Best "real" foods

Falco

Suppose someone wanted to use only real food pre & post workout (no supplements), what would be the best foods to choose?

Pre: Eggs (egg whites) & fruit juice?
(Quickly digested protein & carbs)

(Complex carbs & slow digesting protein)

post workout i'd say fruits, or milk...but i think at least post workout shakes are the better option because usually you should eat 1-2 hours later the same amount of food again anyway - this for carbs

pre workout i'd also prefer simple carbs but oatmeal should be fine if you consume it some time before workout

as far as protein goes egg whites are probably a good option...i cant think right now of any real food that contains a lot of whey..maybe cheese? milk has a nice amino profile as well...

a problem you should think about is that if you eat real food, especially if it contains also fat, digesting time goes up also for the other macros - this is what you not really want pre/post workout

your on the right track but youvr got it arse ways around :D

pre 90 mins prior
cheese/milk or low fat meat for medium digestion protein
apple juice for your carbs medium GI carb
post the second you leave the gym
eggs about 5 of em fast pro
50 - 60g sugar to spike insulin
ppwo 1 hour after pwo
a whole meal. pro carbs fat / vegetables

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dont_quit @ May 13 2005,12:31)]cheese has no whey i think; whey is a byproduct of cheese production from milk
Depends on the type of cheese. Most hard cheese does not, as the cheese is made from a seperation of curd (water insoluable milk constituents) and whey (water soluble constitiuents) but cottage cheese does. Cottage Cheese also has the highest value in Amino Acid content than any other common cheese.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (doitright orgohome @ May 13 2005,2:55)]your on the right track but youvr got it arse ways around :D
Amino Acid uptake can be twice as high during the blood flow increases associated with the workout, therfore it is a good strategy to use a fast acting protein immediately before the workout. To increase the effect of glycogen turnover and create an anabolic insulin spike it is also a good strategy to take a higer GI carb pre workout.

Post workout nutrition is important also, since the net protein balance is affected by breakdown and intake occurring after the workout it would be a good idea to take some protein after the workout also, a slower acting protein would be advantageous but another fast acting protein can be taken especially if you plan on eating a mixed meal shortly after your workout. A higher GI carb after your workout isn't as important but replacing the carbs over the next 24 hours is, so some good lower GI carbs throughout the remainder of the day would be advisable.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ May 13 2005,5:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (doitright orgohome @ May 13 2005,2:55)]your on the right track but youvr got it arse ways around :D
Amino Acid uptake can be twice as high during the blood flow increases associated with the workout, therfore it is a good strategy to use a fast acting protein immediately before the workout. To increase the effect of glycogen turnover and create an anabolic insulin spike it is also a good strategy to take a higer GI carb pre workout.
Post workout nutrition is important also, since the net protein balance is affected by breakdown and intake occurring after the workout it would be a good idea to take some protein after the workout also, a slower acting protein would be advantageous but another fast acting protein can be taken especially if you plan on eating a mixed meal shortly after your workout. A higher GI carb after your workout isn't as important but replacing the carbs over the next 24 hours is, so some good lower GI carbs throughout the remainder of the day would be advisable.
So to truely get the fast protein before a workout, you really need the whey supplement . . .

So maybe a plan would be:

PRE:
Whey protein mixed w/ water (fast acting protein)
Glass of Orange Juice (High GI carb)

Glass of Milk (fast & slow acting protein? + some low GI carbs)

30 Minutes later:
Bowl of Oatmeal (Low GI carb)

Sound about right?

About
thumbs-up.gif

It also stands to reason that your other daily caloric intake be nutritous and balanced. Eat a rainbow, no I'm not talking Lucky Charms, plenty of different colored veggies and fruits. Plus good clean protein sources and some healthy fats.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ May 13 2005,2:24)]Amino Acid uptake can be twice as high during the blood flow increases associated with the workout, therfore it is a good strategy to use a fast acting protein immediately before the workout. To increase the effect of glycogen turnover and create an anabolic insulin spike it is also a good strategy to take a higer GI carb pre workout.

This makes perfect sense to me.

But a lot of people/sites/supplement companies recommend whey to be used POST-workout because it will get to the muscles faster, allowing them to repair quicker. I know, I know, don't trust everything you read/hear. But why are we right and they are wrong?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (savagebeast @ May 14 2005,6:38)]But why are we right and they are wrong?
Well no one is saying they are wrong, post wo whey supplementation is a good thing, definately better than none. But it just happens that other studies, by the same people who they are basing their recommendation for post wo, have shown that pre WO supplementaion is preferable along with post WO.
Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters
anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise

Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab
281: E197–E206, 2001.
Now what this study tells us, just the highlights
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In our previous study, (J Appl Physiol 88: 386–392, 2000.) increased muscle protein synthesis was responsible for the change from a catabolic to an anabolic state after ingestion of EAC at both 1 and 3 h postexercise.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]During PRE, ;21% of ingested phenylalanine
was taken up by the leg, thus ;42% by both legs. The
proportion was much lower during POST, ;8% across
one leg or 16% for both legs. When EAC was consumed
1 h after exercise, ;125 mg of phenylalanine were
taken up across the leg, or about one-half of the
value found when EAC was consumed before exercise
This represented ;11% of the ingested phenylalanine
for one leg, or 22% for both legs. When amino acids
were infused over a 3-h period after exercise, ;34% of
the infused amino acids were taken up across both legs.
Clearly, EAC consumption before exercise is more
effective than after exercise.

Now this is just one study, but the results have been duplicated in other studies, so the post workout shake is good, but a quick acting pre work out shake is better. What's the optimum, a pre/post then a mixed meal.

Plus there is another aspect to this that has been indentified. Which I elluded to earlier. The blood serum (extracellular) not the intracellular level dictates the amount of PS (protein synthesis) therefore having higher concentrations of blood amino acids during the workout is more beneficial over merely having stored amino acids in the muscle cells themselves.

Back