Newbie who's confused

Mike_P

Hey all,
First off, I am brand new to HST. I actually haven't even started it yet because I am a bit confused and want to make sure I have a good understanding of what to there is to do before I begin. I haven't trained in about 4 months and lost some muscle, but I'm ready to get back in the game. I stumbled onto this method and it seems very interesting, and judging by these posts, very effective. I'm a bit confused however:
When looking at the examples written by Bryan (at least I think he's doing it), his first HST example shows multiple exercises being done over a three day split. So on Monday he has squats and SLD for legs, incline bench and dips for chest, etc. This is copied on Wed. and Fri.
His second example on the following page shows something a bit different. It's more alternating, where on Mon and Fri of week 1 and Wed of week 2 he'll do Incline bench only. On Wed of week 1 and Mon and Fri of week 2 he'll do dips.
My question... which is the more effective method. Doing both exercises for the three day split as in his first example, or splitting the exercises to spread it over a 2 week period?
Thanks for any and all help guys!
Mike

Hi Mike,

First off, welcome to HST!!!!

One thing to keep in mind is that HST is not a rigid system that proposes only one way to train.  I think what Bryan is trying to convey is that you can put together different training routines based on the HST principles.

Both of the routines Bryan posted will hit the same muscle groups frequently ... they both are effective.  Which one is more effective?  I don't know--I've always put together my own routines.

My advice is:  either pick the one you like the best or assemble your own routine and give HST a shot, and try to not worry about the small stuff.  Once you've gone through a cycle, you'll know better what works for you.

Hope this helps.

Back