Slow and Fast Protein

TightHandlez6

Could anybody help me by eating effective pre- and post- workout meals by saying which foods are rich in the slow and fast proteins. I would really appreciate any help.

The only "fast" proteins are whey, soy, and perhaps other isolated vegetable proteins.

Everything else is slow. All whole protein "foods" like meat or fish are slow.

Regular milk is about 70% slow and 20% fast.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Mindwraith, Posted on May 22 2003,7:58
I heard honey will speed it up. Good stuff before bed.

Ok, I can think of a few reasons to use honey pre or post workout but why would you want
to have some before bedtime ?? Wouldn't it raise your insulin level ??
Please explain.

Thanx
Mikeh

Also I've never understood what kind of sugar honey is composed of.I remember someone saying that it contains fructose or smth similar..
What I woud like to know is if honey could substitute simple sugars in my diet.

Bryan, are you sure soy is a fast digesting protein?

My understanding is that soy "gels" in the gut much like casein.

depends on the type of protein anoop...considering that most companies like the 'whey' stamp, they would be considered fast.

Can we make whey protein slow by mixing it with other foods like milk?I am assuming slow protein nad fast protein is similar to the low GI and High GI carbs.

:) Anoop

I can't think of any reason honey would speed up the adsorption, but it would increase the insulin response since you're increasing carbs.

Also, in 100 grams of honey there is:
17 water
81.9 total sugars

0 galactose
33.8 glucose
42.4 fructose
0 lactose
1.5 sucrose
4.2 maltose

Source:
Matthews RH, Pehrsson PR, Farhat-Sabet M
Sugar Content of Selected Foods: Individual and Total Sugars. USDA. Home Economics Research Report No 48, 1987
Download the PDF from
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/etext/000020.html

Brian

Does slow protein and fast protein makes any difference in the amount of protein absorbed in the body?, and if it does, is it possible to make fast protein slow by combining food, like whey powder and milk.

:) Anoop

[b said:
Quote[/b] (anoopbal @ Feb. 25 2004,12:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Does slow protein and fast protein makes any difference in the amount of protein absorbed in the body?
It shouldn't, no. The body should be able to absorb all of it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
, and if it does, is it possible to make fast protein slow by combining food, like whey powder and milk.

Yes, combining fast proteins with slow proteins and/or fats and/or things like fiber should slow down their absorption. At least, that's my understanding.

Brian

Back