cardio on an empty stomach

ahmed_uk

I can't remember where, but I once read that cardio should be done on an empty stomach to make the body use fat reserves for fuel during the exercise.

on my 'rest' days, I intend to do 12 minutes of interval training followed by 10-15 minutes incline walking on the treadmill. From what I've read, the fat loss benifit from HIIT is due to the fact that it raises metabolism for several hours after the exercise, not because of fat burning during the exercise.

what are people's recommendations for pre-cardio workout nutrition. what about after the workout? what should I be eating/drinking and how much?

thanks for any input

ahmed_uk,

In the end, it's all calories in minus calories out. As long as you eat less calories than you burn, over say a one week period, you will lose fat.

The trick of course is not to lose muscle also; with weight training (HST) during cutting you will minimise muscle loss while losing fat, in fact you might even gain a little muscle.

And doing cardio burns extra calories, whether on an empty stomach or after a full English breakfast.

But personally, I won't go anywhere without having breakfast first.

Rommeke_

Back