It's like meat...sort of.

Bryan Haycock

Administrator
Staff member
CSPI Sues Quorn, Whole Foods

May 10, 2005

The U.S. Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) is suing Quorn Foods and Whole Foods Market over what it calls a dangerous food additive.

The center, which wants a Texas court to require warning labels on Quorn packages and on Whole Foods' freezer cases, has been urging the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to more closely regulate Quorn and its retailers.

The center also wants its suit to be certified as a class-action case.

Quorn, sold in Britain since 1995, was introduced in the U.S. in 2002 as a healthy alternative to meat. Its packaging calls the main ingredient "mycoprotein," which the label describes as being related to mushrooms, morels and truffles.

However, the center says mycoprotein is made from a fungus and is more akin to mildew than mushrooms. It says companies grow this fungus in giant vats, harvest it and process it to resemble chicken or ground beef.

Food company based in the UK = Immediately suspect in my book

Yet another exciting menu item from the country that brought you kidney pie, marmite and blood pudding. Wait till they send over Frey Bentos pies, the only known grocery item that can survive a direct hit from a Minuteman IIIg ICBM.
wow.gif

RB

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dood @ May 11 2005,9:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (xahrx @ May 10 2005,10:12)]Has the FDA nothing better to do?
Um, I'd rather they kept me from eating mold without my knowledge, so...
They were letting customers know it was made from fungus. As long as it's safe and not killing people, does it really matter what type?

"However, the center says mycoprotein is made from a fungus and is more akin to mildew than mushrooms. "

Since some people have severe allergies to mold/mildew, it could make people sick. I think they have the right to know. I like to know what I'm putting in my mouth, but that's just me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dood @ May 12 2005,9:08)]"However, the center says mycoprotein is made from a fungus and is more akin to mildew than mushrooms. "
Since some people have severe allergies to mold/mildew, it could make people sick.  I think they have the right to know.  I like to know what I'm putting in my mouth, but that's just me.
A reasonable point, but it's easily solved: eat real meat.

I'm more concerned about the lack of regulation of real meat? What about the crazy hormones, antibiotics, and steroids they feed the cows.. I have no clue what quorn is putting in their food product..but if we seriously care, I'm pretty sure mad cow, or the system that produces our milk and meat is slightly more dangerous to us all than any of these mold related illnesses..not that they should be overlooked. Either way.. it's a weird story.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rangerbob @ May 11 2005,2:55)]Food company based in the UK = Immediately suspect in my book
Yet another exciting menu item from the country that brought you kidney pie, marmite and blood pudding.  Wait till they send over Frey Bentos pies, the only known grocery item that can survive a direct hit from a Minuteman IIIg ICBM.
wow.gif

RB
Ahhh yes, they also pioneered the method of feeding sheep to cows.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (goal220 @ May 12 2005,6:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rangerbob @ May 11 2005,2:55)]Food company based in the UK = Immediately suspect in my book
Yet another exciting menu item from the country that brought you kidney pie, marmite and blood pudding.  Wait till they send over Frey Bentos pies, the only known grocery item that can survive a direct hit from a Minuteman IIIg ICBM.
wow.gif

RB
Ahhh yes, they also pioneered the method of feeding sheep to cows.
Ah, so that's where mutton flavored milk comes from.

Back