Where are you from?

Spencer

Hi guys,

I am a 19 year old Chinese male from Singapore. Really curious to know people from other parts of the world. didnt know what to expect from you guys when i started posting here. I havent been to Europe till now and only visited China, Beijing and Australia, Perth. Looks like the majority of people here are from Europe. Please satisfy my curiousity! Tell me more about yourself, country and what you know about Singapore.
laugh.gif

Though this isnt related to any of the topics here, i figured we might need a break and get to know the fellow "worshippers" of HST.

Regards
Spencer

St. Louis, Missouri USA

I've met a few people from Singapore and I'm impressed at the level of education and culture. Not that they shouldn't be, I'm just saying the people I met were impressive. So I'd say I have a positive image of Singapore without having ever been there.

I'm Portuguese (i wonder if any of you has a clue about where that is!!)). Don't know much about Singapore, isn't it a country with very strict laws, where you can get in trouble from throwing garbage on the floor?

HI Spencer

Another porra, or Portuguese, this time from Mozambique, does anybody know where that is? But currently living and working in South Africa.

I have met a few Singaporan's in my time and a lot of other nationalities.

Great to hear from you.

Fausto

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Good old US -- sorry, no place interesting.

Time for a &quot;general chat&quot; forum I think!

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Hi Abe! good to see you around! What do you mean by &quot;no place interesting?&quot; Yeah, i agree, there should be a general chat forum where we can chat directly with the people here and not just post our questions and wait for replies. Its faster and we can get to know each other better.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">St. Louis, Missouri USA

I've met a few people from Singapore and I'm impressed at the level of education and culture. Not that they shouldn't be, I'm just saying the people I met were impressive. So I'd say I have a positive image of Singapore without having ever been there.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Pardon me deadlifter, but i dont know the various states in the US. Singapore doesnt have any states because we are just a small island and if you check on the world map, we are a small dot on it! We have got alot of firsts in many areas, like our airport, shipping port etc. Its tough living here. Life is very competitive and paper qualifications are all the rage. As, they say, without a degree or higher, you cant have a good living in Singapore. The government has also been emphasizing on foreign talent and if you guys needed work, come over here. you will be served like a king..haha. Theres always the perception that the West is better and i think its true in many aspects, like technology and science. Girls over here will flock to you! They think Cacuasian men are more romantic and better lovers than Asian men....hahaha.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm Portuguese (i wonder if any of you has a clue about where that is!&#33;). Don't know much about Singapore, isn't it a country with very strict laws, where you can get in trouble from throwing garbage on the floor?

i do not know where Portugal is but i have heard about it. First thing to come to my mind, Luis Figo
laugh.gif
. Soccer is big over here in Singapore and the World Cup is coming! Yeah, Singapore has strict laws as compared to other countries. but i think thats what keep our country safe and successful. I would think its very safe over here compared to the US, where i read in the papers, gun shooting in schools, murders etc. Kidnapping, murders and drug trafficking carry the death penalty in Singapore. People in Europe are also deem more liberal than Asians who are more conservative. For example, i heard that when u reached 18, u are expected to move on and live on your own? Here, we live with our parents till we are married before we move out. and it is not uncommon for married couples to continue living with parents. Our country is clean(hence the nickname, Garden City) and you do get fined if you are caught littering.

Thats about what i can think of for the moment.
laugh.gif
But do continue telling me about yourself, your country and what you know about Singapore.

Regards
Spencer

Wow, looks like we really have people from all around the world. Sharivan, Switzerland's a pretty highly developed country? Hows life over there? The things that come to my mind are Geneva, where Rolex watches are made (correct?) and the Swiss Miss, Martina Hingis.
laugh.gif

Enrico, tell us more about Italy! and dont speak in Italian, I dont understand. :D

Steve, i have read all most of your posts and u seem like a very serious, &quot;dont mess around with me&quot; type of guy.

Dave, is your full name, David Beckham?....hahha. First thing that came to my mind, the sterling pound is a very strong currency!

Keebler, you are just Down Under! I might further my studies over at Australia a few years later! hope to see u there...
laugh.gif

Guys, tell us about yourself, your age, details about your country, unrehearsal comments about others' countries!

Regards
Spencer

Hi Spencer,
               I was born and brought up in India and am here in the USA (columbus,ohio) for my graduate studies. Been to singapore a couple of times as I have a lot of relatives settled there and a few friends that went to NTU,NUS.
Hey any of you aussies/brits watch cricket..because if you do, come ashes series we may have some interesting threads.

Spencer- I have one of my aunts living in Angmokyo and when I was there in singapore i was staying with some friends in pine valley / pine hill..I liked orchard road, serangoon road..and sentosa, jurong bird park. I was surprised when i first heard the announcements on the metro made in tamil as i am a tamilian.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Adelaide, Australia.

It's a pretty small city. If I sneeze too hard somebody in the next city will be wiping their face! [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Some people say that if you live in Adelaide, you should never go to the toilet in the morning because it leaves you nothing to do in the afternoon.

Seriously though, Adelaide's a nice town and the local wine regions aren't bad either.

I live in Sunny Brisbane Australia.

Rainier.

Hi thalapathi3!

Good to see someone here who has been here, Singapore. How old are you? What are u studying in the US now? Yes, orchard road! haha...our shopping paradise. You have relatives here in Singapore? Maybe, when you come visiting again, we can meet up.
laugh.gif

In Singapore, we dont call it the metro but the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit). Dont be surprised to hear things explained in four different languages. We are a multi racial country where all races are treated equal. I have tamil friends as well!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Manhattan, New York City, New York,
United States of America [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Hi Lester! good to see u around. Have heard about the Sept 11 tragedy, were you in any way affected? tell us more about yourself and do take care! God Bless America!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Some people say that if you live in Adelaide, you should never go to the toilet in the morning because it leaves you nothing to do in the afternoon.

Rainer, why is that so? You live in Brisbane? maybe u can meet up with Keebler 1 day to discuss about HST.
tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Stockholm, sweden[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Newlifter, i have always mixed up Sweden and Switzerland..
laugh.gif
. tell us more about yourself and your country?

Regards
Spencer

I'm from California, USA - San Jose/Silicon Valley specifically. (IMHO the capital of the world right now).

I love hearing where everyone is from.  It's often easy to forget when you're online that you're speaking with someone living halfway around the world.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm from California, USA - San Jose/Silicon Valley specifically. (IMHO the capital of the world right now).

KingProtein, why is this so? Apart from the fact that Silicon Valley is the world famous centre for high tech IT startups.
hows life over at California? My impression of it: sunny, beautiful beaches, beautiful and health conscious people and the various Gold's Gyms. Does that cut it?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I love hearing where everyone is from. It's often easy to forget when you're online that you're speaking with someone living halfway around the world.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Hit it right on the nail! Its fascinating talking to people from all over the world who have different cultures, personalities and you can also learn certain things about the countries.

Motto for this thread: Share more about yourself and your country!

Regards
Spencer

Back