Training For Police Academy

TylerDurden

I want to get started on my training for the state trooper academy. Its no walk in the park either, my friends that are there now say you run 5 miles a day, with all different kinds of training from boxing to PT and swimming. I need to gain alot of muscular endurance but i still want to build alot more muscle. Would the best program be a 3xweek2xday program, and on my off days i would train the state trooper way? any help is seriously needed!

Trying to gain mass/strength while also trying to increase endurance at the same time is a bad idea. If you try to do both at the same time, you will get poor results compared to taking it one thing at a time. You should focus on just the endurance aspect right now, in my opinion. I'm not much of a runner anymore, and never was a distance runner, just a sprinter, so I don't think I can help too much with running... but that's what my main focus would be right now, if I were you.

I agree with Totentanz. You should be running and lifting for strength, not mass. I don't know what your circumstances are right now, but if you haven't worked out for a while, you'll probably gain some mass along the way, but mass ain't gonna get you through the academy! If there ever was a situation where you want to get your priorities set, this is it. Actually, I'd look into the Marine Corps Fitness Program- most SP academies do something like it. BTW, what state?
Good luck!!!

TylerDurden

Having been an athlete before I can say, weight training can only help you for strength so it is usually done on the off season time :)

Squats, leg extensions, leg curls, bench presses and whole trunk exercises will help you for strength building, so say do these for 1 month, and start alternating fairly long distances on days off.

Your carb intake should be fairly high to take all of this non-sense and stil come up trumps.

The month after that, start running middle distance, swiming and other endurance kind of exercise, rowing and biking too are excellent, this should get you in shape, I remember having to run 20 minutes around a park and having to climb each tree there was in my path (any possible way), I was pooped in no time
laugh.gif
, this was the teaching of a cuban coach we had.
tounge.gif

Some of the weight training can be used for enduro training but it is not HST
happy.gif
, then once you are done with the state trooper thing, then take a looooong SD (like three weeks or so) and tackle HST afresh!

Beware I am not a coach just giving som eintake dude, you should rather get yourself a book on endurance training.
butbut.gif

I used to be a distance runner and i know how to train for it, but i want to still try and make some gains, and i think ive found a way to do it. MWF 2xday weight training NO cardio on those days. Then on my off days im going to do some cardio with my heart rate monitor, keeping my heart rate at 60% max as to not use any carbs, then do pushups and situps all the time. Then when my cardio is really conditioned ill add speed work as my heart rate wont shoot up all the time. i have quite a bit of time for the academy 1 1/2 years, but i need to be at the top of my game ive ever been. any thoughts on the program? and im gonna eat 4000 cals a day, for a 160lb man!

Do some training that reflects what's required of you...swimming, boxing, obstacle work, beach runnining (this will build calves, and cardiovascular endurance like no other :p)...

If used to be a distance runner i dont think that you have any problems with endurance training. You should be fine with couple endurance training excercises per week and then add three times a week some weight training. Just use lower reps and use mass movement like bench press etc.

Back