Heroes & role models

Rain

Although this post may not be strictly related to HST, I'm very interested in hearing what motivates and inspires people. There may be several reasons why we start lifting weights -- we might have been small or weak and wanting to become bigger and stronger.

I also believe that most of us have had some kind of "good example" around, that inspired us to start and lift weights in the first place. It might have been your brother, your neighbour, Steve Reeves, Arnold or anyone else that had an appearance that inspired you or got you started in some other way.

So - who was your inspiration, hero or role model? OK, I'll start.

I guess my first role model when it comes to training was my father. When he was younger, he was a gymnast, and was always doing things like walking around on his hands on our lawn. He was in great shape, even after he stopped doing gymnastics actively, and much more muscular than my friends fathers, which was quite unusual in the mid-seventies. He is still in good shape now, in his early seventies.

I guess I wanted to look like him, so in the late seventies I started working out at the (only) local gym, after having done what I could with the dumbbells we had at home for a couple of years. I was about 12 years old.

On Sunday afternoons, there was always these old movies from the 40's and 50's on TV. One that I particularly liked was the classical "Singin' in the rain", starring Gene Kelly. Gene Kelly isn't really known primarily for his physique (like for example Steve Reeves), but he was actually quite muscular - especially for a dancer - and became another source of inspiration. I don't think I was aware of this at the time, though.

Once in the gym the walls were full of posters of the bodybuilders of the 60's & 70's - Arnold, Lou Ferrigno, Dave Draper, Sergio Oliva etc. The ones that stuck in my mind was Draper and Arnold, in that order. They were of course amazing, but if it comes down to it I'd say that my primary role models, and the ones that got me lifting in the first place, was my father and to some extent Gene Kelly. My father never pushed me in any way, but was always very supporting when it came to my lifting, even though I was the only 12-year old in the gym at that time...

Regards,
/ R

My primary reason for working out is psychological. I feel better, plain and simple. No real role models as it were with me. Definitely people I admire in bodybuilding. Schwartzanegger obviously. Great physique, forceful personality. Serge Nubret is my favorite all around physique. Don't know much about him personally, but the guy was built to perfection in his prime.

Of the newer guys I'm really starting to like Cutler. His showing at Olympia this year was great. He finally came reasonably dry and dialed in, and personally I would have put him over Coleman. Much better shoulders and triceps than Coleman. People said Cutler's back was weaker, but I honestly didn't see it. Maybe a slight sheen of wetness to him, but he was easily in competition with Coleman, and in my opinion better in stronger areas, with his weaknesses being more minor.

But, overall I'm a fan of the golden age physiques than the newer, GH gut ridden guys.

As for my motivations, phycology is a the biggest part like I said. Working out makes me feel good. Being stronger than most people makes me feel good. As for looks I honestly don't care as much to have a body builder physique. I'd much rather be stronger right now. But, my priorities are always subject to change of course.

This is a cool thread!
thumbs-up.gif

When I was 14 - 15 I used to do athletics never got very far except for beating the national champion at discus, funny he taught me how to throw
laugh.gif

Anyway there was this guy, in Portuguese we called him Costinha, for small Costa (his surname) he had huge shouders and upper body and we were good friends, he was my first inspiration.

Then I saw Zane, Schwarzenneger, Ferrigno, Nubret, Makawi, the great Dr. Columbu, Drapper and they all looked amazing, but judging from look alikes I could only aspire to look like Zane as he was not that tall, me neither, ha...ha...ha!
laugh.gif

So yep, you've guessed it Zane is was and will be my inspiration, he really had a nice physique and was a supper poser!
tounge.gif

The one thing I real;ly dislike about BB nowadays is the common use of anabolic steroids, it is disgusting (to me), I supppose I must not voice my opinion too strongly lest I hurt someones feelings
blush.gif

But naturals like Tom Venuto are my type of guy, by the way he is constantly on my desktop e-mail logon page, what abs!
happy.gif

A real 8-pack, yah he seems to have the xtra two right down towards you know what
laugh.gif

I originally got into weight training to become a more effective fighter and then that took over my main interest. I don't have any specific role models that got me into it, I guess the closes would be Bruce Lee though. Nice physique. My favorite bodybuilders who's physiques are closest to what I would like to achieve include Bill Pearl and Steve Reeves. I respect all those guys though, this thing takes a lot of time and dedication.

My inspiration was psychological...at age 15 and nearly 16 I was 6'1, just under 120kgs, and none of that was muscle...so I decided I was sick of this and had to get fit, lose weight before I had a cardiac failure at 23...

Weight training caught on because I've always wanted to be big, strong and powerful...pretty simple
tounge.gif

My early inspiration was Bill Pearl, and I think the best physique on stage ever is Mr. Olivia (btw, it's not really a cosmic coincidence that Mr. Olivia and Mr. Olympia are so similar
tounge.gif
) in 1972.

Man ---interesting question, and not an easy one to answer. Reading the other thoughtful posts has helped me do some introspection. Sure my Dad influenced me.. he had been a High School and College jock, and stayed with the weight lifting (we always had weights in the basment). But I think the people who influenced me the most -- were older kids/ guys whos names I no longer remember. When I would "look up the ladder" I would notice the more built older guys and wanted to be like them. So in grade school it was the 8th graders, or in HS it was the Varsity Football players. They were the "local heros" the guy down the streets older brother who is on the football team and lifts.

What I always found cool is that I had a CHOICE. I did not have to wish for it -- I just had to go out and do it. Sure the BodyBuilders from the golded era influenced me, Draper, Coe, Zane.. before I was old enough to buy a mag I would see them in those little charles atlas type "muscle building ads" in the back of Popular Mechanics Magazine. They struck me with awe. But if that is the reason I started it, the reason I sayed with it is the way it makes me feel. Working out clears my head, relives stress and just makes me feel better. It is almost like a drug. No complaints on how it makes me look. But I love the way it makes me feel.

Bob

an old bbr called basil grant(came 2nd to bill pearl in the universe) i was looking in the gym window in my local sports centre.i saw this guy he was massive ..next thing i know he came over brought me in and started showing me how to lift weights...he kept saying thats good really encouraging me after that i went back every night...i thought it was good that he took the time to help out a 15 year old kid...so i always take the time to help people out if i can...i have gotten a few people into training and they are still doing it :D

I really dont even now why i started doing sports. My basics were all wrong. In my family sports were never appreciated and i had a terrible asthma when I was a kid. Maybe the biggest impact in my "sports career" came when I was on 7th grade. My math teacher coached also our school volleyball team and he had a scheme that everybody who wants to can try it. Well to my suprise I, a little chubby kid, had real talent in that sport. Three years later i was the captain of our home town team. Unfortenately my height got in the way and started losing playing time. Somepoint i decided that I`ve got to let go. Then i started doing karate and aikido for 3-4 years but it never felt good enough. Then came floorball and still play it regularly 2 times a week. All this time I´ve always had done some pushups, pullups etc. because wanting more muscular body. However the real passion and knowlage for lifting weights came about four years ago and still on that road. Nowdays the biggest impact or role model to me has to be my coach who has been competing in heavy weight BB for 20 years. He`s never been the best but he knows how to have good time. He really enjoys the showbusiness aspect of BB. BB competition for me is more a show that grave serious competition to show mucles.

Maybe WAY off-topic but still. This is my story in short;)

Errr... Batman, I guess :D

Seriously, my motivation?  :D Honestly, I just wanted to impress a girl.

There was this girl, Hazel (or Shobe , her chinese nickname, it means 'younger sister' ). She was so beautiful and I just adored her and would have actually gladly kissed the ground she walked on.

But whatever. No matter what I did, she just hated me. I really felt I'd never be complete without her, so I tried everything, and one summer I decided to really get buff (I was really thin), and so commenced my bodybuilding journey, and HST journey as well. But even after getting buff (and everyone noticed, even Shobe), Shobe still hated me. I was like "Hu-what?!! What the hell do I have  to do?"

Now, I have a girlfriend, but not her. And in all honesty, I still dream of Shobe (often, and my girlfriend gets pissed off about it sometimes). I have almost everything I wanted before - I'm still young (22), physically fit and enjoying good health, I love my work, and I'll be rich in a year and richer than God in a few years (for religous folks out there, that's just figurative language). But still, I can't help but feel sad sometimes because Shobe just hates me.

But like xahrx, lifting weights makes me feel good. And it's making me physically fit, so what the heck, why stop it.

Oh, and yeah, I want to be Batman.  
laugh.gif

JV,

I kept waiting for you to say JUST KIDDING the whole time i read that
tounge.gif
. Thats a great story....

And out of curiosity what are you doing where you will be richer than god in a few years?

Joe G

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jvroig @ Oct. 20 2005,5:53)]Seriously, my motivation?  :D Honestly, I just wanted to impress a girl.
That's not a "just", JV. I'd say the desire to make impressions on women is one of the strongest motivation factors there is, at least for us heterosexual men  :) .

I guess one of the things that makes me carry my humungus gym bag to work and drag my @$$ to the gym almost every day is the fact that I wanna look good (or keep looking good, I mean ;) ) in the eyes of my wife.

Good luck with the money thing. But - just out of curiosity - are you sure that Shobe still hates you?

BTW, who doesn't wanna be Batman? Robin, anyone? The Penguin? :)

Regards,
/ R

My uncle and my dad.

My uncle played football and baseball for Yale in the late '70's. When I was really young I remember everyone talking how he could bench press over 400lbs, that was a really big deal back then.

Here he is:
http://yalebulldogs.collegesports.com/sports....?pic=22

My dad was an ironworker (high steel contruction, now retired) and had tremendous natural strength (which I didn't inherit). He never touched a weight for exercise and I watched him press 325lbs on bench when he was about 42-43 years old for the hell of it.

Both of them are like supermen to me and I think about their examples of toughness when I lift, or do anything really.

My uncle and my dad.

My uncle played football and baseball for Yale in the late '70's. When I was really young I remember everyone talking how he could bench press over 400lbs, that was a really big deal back then.

Here he is:
http://yalebulldogs.collegesports.com/sports....?pic=22

My dad was an ironworker (high steel contruction, now retired) and had tremendous natural strength (which I didn't inherit). He never touched a weight for exercise and I watched him press 325lbs on bench when he was about 42-43 years old for the hell of it.

Both of them are like supermen to me and I think about their examples of toughness when I lift, or do anything really.

Back