sexual abstinence and performance

[xeno]Julios

wow. after about 10 days of absolutley no sexual activity, i went to the gym for the second time during that period, and i couldn't believe my strength. For the first time ever I was able to lift almost as much on the second sets as i was on the first (and this is during 5 rep max phase). This is also with only 2 min rest between sets!

Also, my girlfriend keeps mentioning how my body felt hot (temperature wise) and how she could sense my vitality throuhg my veins. And mental focus is incredible!

I've also noticed body odour changes - but can't be sure - maybe it's the heat, but my armpits have intensified in odour - to me it smells like urine, but according to her, my body smells nice.

I spoke to a friend who's a martial artist and he told me this is normal and that ur testosterone rises when u abstain, but u shouldn't abstain for too long coz ur libido will dull.

well i did some googling and came up with this on pubmed:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A research on the relationship between ejaculation and serum testosterone level in men.

Jiang M, Xin J, Zou Q, Shen JW.

Department of Life Science, Hangzhou Normal College, Hangzhou 310020, China. [email protected]

The purpose of this study is to gain understanding of the relationship between ejaculation and serum testosterone level in men. The serum testosterone concentrations of 28 volunteers were investigated daily during abstinence periods after ejaculation for two phases. The authors found that the fluctuations of testosterone levels from the 2nd to 5th day of abstinence were minimal. On the 7th day of abstinence, however, a clear peak of serum testosterone appeared, reaching 145.7% of the baseline ( P < 0.01). No regular fluctuation was observed following continuous abstinence after the peak. Ejaculation is the precondition and beginning of the special periodic serum testosterone level variations, which would not occur without ejaculation. The results showed that ejaculation-caused variations were characterized by a peak on the 7th day of abstinence; and that the effective time of an ejaculation is 7 days minimum. These data are the first to document the phenomenon of the periodic change in serum testosterone level; the correlation between ejaculation and periodic change in the serum testosterone level, and the pattern and characteristics of the periodic change.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez....bstract

makes complete sense - coz it was only the second time i went to the gym (which was after 7 days) during which i noticed this.

anyone else have experience or knowledge in this department?

btw i've abstained a couple times before for fun - once for 1.5 months, but this was before i was into doing the gym thing - but i did notice vastly improved mental focus and power.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([xeno]Julios @ Aug. 27 2003,4:42)]wow. after about 10 days of absolutley no sexual activity, i went to the gym for the second time during that period, and i couldn't believe my strength. For the first time ever I was able to lift almost as much on the second sets as i was on the first (and this is during 5 rep max phase). This is also with only 2 min rest between sets!
Also, my girlfriend keeps mentioning how my body felt hot (temperature wise) and how she could sense my vitality throuhg my veins. And mental focus is incredible!
I've also noticed body odour changes - but can't be sure - maybe it's the heat, but my armpits have intensified in odour - to me it smells like urine, but according to her, my body smells nice.
I spoke to a friend who's a martial artist and he told me this is normal and that ur testosterone rises when u abstain, but u shouldn't abstain for too long coz ur libido will dull.
well i did some googling and came up with this on pubmed:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A research on the relationship between ejaculation and serum testosterone level in men.
Jiang M, Xin J, Zou Q, Shen JW.
Department of Life Science, Hangzhou Normal College, Hangzhou 310020, China. [email protected]
The purpose of this study is to gain understanding of the relationship between ejaculation and serum testosterone level in men. The serum testosterone concentrations of 28 volunteers were investigated daily during abstinence periods after ejaculation for two phases. The authors found that the fluctuations of testosterone levels from the 2nd to 5th day of abstinence were minimal. On the 7th day of abstinence, however, a clear peak of serum testosterone appeared, reaching 145.7% of the baseline ( P < 0.01). No regular fluctuation was observed following continuous abstinence after the peak. Ejaculation is the precondition and beginning of the special periodic serum testosterone level variations, which would not occur without ejaculation. The results showed that ejaculation-caused variations were characterized by a peak on the 7th day of abstinence; and that the effective time of an ejaculation is 7 days minimum. These data are the first to document the phenomenon of the periodic change in serum testosterone level; the correlation between ejaculation and periodic change in the serum testosterone level, and the pattern and characteristics of the periodic change.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez....bstract
makes complete sense - coz it was only the second time i went to the gym (which was after 7 days) during which i noticed this.
anyone else have experience or knowledge in this department?
btw i've abstained a couple times before for fun - once for 1.5 months, but this was before i was into doing the gym thing - but i did notice vastly improved mental focus and power.
you might regret this line of thought when you beat up a few gym rats and impregnate the maid. twice.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([xeno]Julios @ Aug. 27 2003,9:42)]btw i've abstained a couple times before for fun - once for 1.5 months
sorry, still trying to understand this concept
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HrshyKissd @ Aug. 28 2003,2:26)]I don't know but I wouldn't willingly abstain from sex no matter how much strength it gave me in return. :D
once u close the floodgates for a few days, the dam builds up a lot of strength and it takes less and less willpower to abstain.

At least this is my experience.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but my armpits have intensified in odour - to me it smells like urine, but according to her, my body smells nice.

She's a keeper :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]once u close the floodgates for a few days, the dam builds up a lot of strength and it takes less and less willpower to abstain.

You're going to make some woman a GREAT husband
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

All I know is after a night of sex and a good night sleep,
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif

I feel pretty good the next morning !! After all this is ONE of the reason we lift, right ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikeh @ Aug. 28 2003,1:21)]I know is after a night of sex and a good night sleep,
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif

I feel pretty good the next morning !! After all this is ONE of the reason we lift, right ?
LOL..hale yes
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]once u close the floodgates for a few days, the dam builds up a lot of strength and it takes less and less willpower to abstain.
I know personally I get EXTREMELY irritable though!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]All I know is after a night of sex and a good night sleep,
Amen to that Mikeh! :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I know personally I get EXTREMELY irritable though!

How long have you gone dry for?

After the first 3-5 days it's pretty much smooth sailing. The first 48 hours or so can be gruelling to say the least, but hell it probably builds character or somethin.

I have often used a Chinese technique where one holds back ejaculation during sex. It rocks. I have gone weeks without letting go but you reach a point where you become very violent and aggressive. So once a week is about right.

It is not as bad as you think. You still have sex, you get a great increase in performance (both inside and outside the bedroom) your sex drive goes thru the roof and your really enegised. Yes, you can get mini dry orgasms too. It was very popular for Chinese Emporers who had many Concubines to please!

Basically, you learn deep breathing and strengthen the pc muscle so that you can build up and then hold back. You get the pleasure without the rude ending
laugh.gif

bah i never understood the pc muscle - the descriptions of how to locate it are too ambiguous for me - there are two sets of muscles i can feel - one set is farther back from the other, (let's call the closer one A and farther one B)

Now all the advice says it's the muscle that stops the flow of urine - but I can do this using both muscles. The difference is, if i do A, then both A and B contract, whereas if i do B only, (same one used to hold in a fart hehe) then it contracts independently. It's impossible to flex A independently of B, and when A flexes, it's the same muscle u use to actually move little johnny up :p

Also, when I squeeze A, I find it's bad for sex coz it accelerates me towards climax waay to fast - so i try to go throughout the whole thing without flexing A at all (until very end where it's involuntary)

Sorry for being so explicit, but damnit this has been buggin me for a while.

After 7 days without sex, do you have to have sex again, every 7 days, to get another test fluctuation, or does the test stay elevated as long as you don't have sex?

judging from the abstract, it seems that the rise in testosterone may be sustained until further ejaculation, but it's hard to decipher the wording - it's not very clearly written, or maybe it's just my inexperience at decoding scientific data.

Either way, I didn't wait long enough to find out :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([xeno]Julios @ Aug. 29 2003,1:22)]How long have you gone dry for?
After the first 3-5 days it's pretty much smooth sailing. The first 48 hours or so can be gruelling to say the least, but hell it probably builds character or somethin.
Days... and days... and days....

I need more opinions on this: after 7 days without sex, do you have to have sex again, every 7 days, to get another test fluctuation, or does the test stay elevated as long as you don't have sex?

If abstaining makes me bigger and smarter, I'll do it.

If you read the study, (at least what i get out of it is)
-Have sex/ejaculate on day 1.. your test levels are at or around baseline levels for days 3-6, then on day 8 there is a peak, with "no regular fluctuation was observed following continuous abstinence after the peak" What it doesnt say is how long this "peak" is abtained for? 1 day? 1 hour? 1 week?
Another angle i didnt see before: when is says no regular fluctuation, does that mean no fluctuation from the peak? (145.7% in this particular study) because if they are saying after a week with no sex your t-levels are elevated, and will stay elevated for as long as you dont have sex, then we may have something here.... Anybody have a different study with a better time line after the 7 days of abstinence? Man that was a lot of thinking my head hurts
laugh.gif

Back