your results with HST...

Took these Fri. night while messing around posing with a few buddies.
DSC00857.jpg

DSC00854.jpg

lookin good lance, hard to follow up behind you
dozingoff.gif
. well. I've been on HST for about a year and a few months now. I've gained a total of 50 lbs, no idea how much lean vs fat, but very much so lean mass. from a tiny 165lbs at 6 9 to a decent 210-215ish lbs at 6 10 now. I'm biggger and fuller than ever, starting my first cut cycle which is pretty intense. It's been a while since I've needed to watch what I eat haha. I've gone from the basic setup to Jules pimped out version to something that just fits my needs now.

Incline bench.
leg press
lat pull
nelson curls
hammer curls
db tricep ext
arnold press

Results are going great. And if Bryan or any of the experts are around the area, I'm at James Madison University with my whole dorm of guys on HST and they've had amazing gains thanks to all that have contributed to this forum and of course the HST master Bryan Haycock
thumbs-up.gif

pzhang

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]colby,how did you gain so much weight and drop bodyfat?

Doing the same caloric intake as ChrisHouston did (good job by the way) however during the 15's and 10's I ate at maintenance and during 5's and negs, I ate around 800 over. I also grew in height over fall by a half an inch.

Lance - awesome lats
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (noobie @ Dec. 26 2005,12:29)]I've gone from the basic setup to Jules pimped out version to something that just fits my needs now.
Same here!

Started with a basic 3x week with alot of exercises, moved to a 5xweek with small amount of exercises ... now i'm using the same basic small amount of exercises back at 3x week.

With this lower frequency i can really concentrate on upping the weight, and so far i'm beating my previous rep maxes weekly. I only increase weights once a week and start a couple increments lower than my 5rm ... so basically i don't really like to mess around with any light stuff lol. It bores me.

Squat/Deadlift
Dips
Chins
Clean and Press
Incline Curls
OH DB Extensions
Calf Raises
Ab work

That's my routine, 2 sets per exercise, 3x week.

Nice results Lance! Great job.
Just finished my 3rd cycle and hit my target bodyweight for this cycle of 210lbs. Actually, I surpassed it a bit at 212lbs. This was a total gain of about 10lbs for this cycle. Since June I've added over 30 lbs, so I am pretty pleased with my results.

I dont think I can do another bulking cycle because my waist is getting a little too close to 36". I started at 32.5" in June.
On the positive side, my arms are at 16", which is HUGE for me!

I think I'll try Colby's suggestion and eat at maintenance during the beginning of cycle and above during 5's and negs.
I've taken in 4000-4200cals/day during my last cycle, what do you suggest for maintenance? I was thinking 3600 maybe.

I just had my bodyfat measured using Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis, and from the result there I crunched some figures. My last three bulking cycles resulted in me getting a ratio of 1:1.7, muscle to fat gain (1.7 pounds of fat every 1 pound of muscle gained).

I just completed my 3rd cycle of HST (a period of 6 months) and here is my results.

Jan-4th.jpg

Now:

5'11"
172lbs (175lbs was highest, lost weight over holidays)

upper arm: 13.25" (+2.25")
chest: 41" (+5")
forearm: 12" (+1")
calve: 14.75" (+1.75")
thigh: 23" (+2")
neck: 16"
waist: 35-36" (+4-5")

Started at:

5'11"
143lbs
18% bf

All measurments are unflexed muscles:

Upper Arm: 11" (shooting for 15")
Forearm: 11"
Wrist: 7"
Chest 36" (40")
Waist: 32"
Thigh: 21"
Calf: 13.5"
ankle: 9"

Original Goal: To fill out my arms, chest, legs, and be able to see some abs. 180lbs 8% bf. This is more than likely impossible, being that I have crap genes, but that is why I am doing it. To prove it is possible.

This was accomplished on Three 2 month cycles of HST with a Full Body 3 times a week workout involving : Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Lat Pulldown/Pull-ups, Bent Over Rows/Cable Row, DB Military Press, Shrugs with BB, Curls, Tricep Pushdown, Standing Calf Raise (w/Smith Machine), Flys, & Weighted Crunches. I worked out at home with a smitch machine, bench and free weights (Don't worry I only used the Smith Machine to hold the weight, everything was done free weight). The whole thing w/ 300lb weights and bar was $400. The routine was 2 weeks of 2 sets of 15 reps with a progressive increase in weight, then 2 weeks of 2 sets of 10 reps with a progressive increase in weight, then 2 weeks of 3 sets of 5 reps with a progressive increase in weight, then 2 weeks of 3 sets of 5 reps at 5rm, then 1 week off. I only missed one workout throughout the six months during Christmas. I had MAJOR increases in strength during this time. Starting with a 90lb bench and squat 5rm and ending at 150lb 5rm. I probably could have done more, but wanted to go by what Brian said, "add 10lbs to your next cycle RM, dont retest your 15rm, 10rm, & 5rm max for your next cycle"

My Diet was extremely strict and required me to eat 5-6 times a day every 3 hours. I held to this almost perfectly. Better than 90%. I cut back on calories in my 3rd cycle (less mix nuts) as I noticed my stomach was beginning to bulge too much and I was getting comments. I realize now I should have kept bulking. This was my diet:

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday (3900 calories)
7-7:30am - p+f
1 cup egg whites
2 omega eggs
1/4 cup beans (substitute)
1 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, sliced peppers, onions, squash, tomatoes)
1/8 cup (25 grams) nuts add additional 1/8 cup on week 3
2 fish oil capsules
Green tea with 5 grams of creatine

10-10:30am - p+f
1.5 cups Plain Yogurt (1 scoop protein powder mixed in) add 1 more scoop week 2
1/8 cup (25 grams) nuts add additional 1/8 cup on week 2

1-1:30pm-p+f
½ lb lean meat (hamburger,etc. ) 1 slice of cheese added to top
4oz Spinach Salad (1 teaspoon flax oil, 1 teaspoon of vinegar of choice)
2 fish oil capsules

4-4:30pm-p+f
½ lb lean meat (turkey sausage, etc.)

6:45- liquid p+C
Weight Gainer 900 w/glutamine 2 scoops for 50 grams of carbs and 25 grams of protein

7-8:30 liquid p+c
Weight Gainer 900 w/glutamine 2 scoops for 50 grams of carbs and 25 grams of protein

8:30 - liquid p+c

10:30-11pm- p+c
½ lb lean meat (chicken, etc.)
1/4 cup wild rice or Oats (raw)
4oz Spinach Salad (Add 1 apple or banana or orange, etc.)
2 fish oil capsules

additional meal of oats with fruit and eggs

Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday (3200 Calories)
7-7:30am - p+f
1 cup egg whites
2 omega eggs
1/4 cup beans (substitute)
1 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, sliced peppers, onions, squash, tomatoes)
2 fish oil capsule
Green tea with 5 grams of creatine

10-10:30am - p+f
1.5 cups Plain Yogurt 210 cal 25.5 g carbs 18g protein 4 grams fat (1 scoop protein powder mixed in 115 cal 24 g protein 2.5 g carbs) add 1 more scoop week 2
1/8 cup (25 grams) nuts add additional 1/8 cup on week 2 190 cal

1-1:30pm-p+f
½ lb lean meat (hamburger,etc. ) 1 slice of cheese added to top 120 cal 300 cal 50 g p
4oz Spinach Salad (1 teaspoon flax oil 45 cal, 1 teaspoon of vinegar of choice) 12 cal 1 g p10g c
2 fish oil capsules 10 cal

4-4:30pm-p+f
½ lb lean meat (turkey sausage, etc.)

7-7:30pm- p+c
½ lb lean meat (chicken, etc.)
4oz Spinach Salad (Add 1 apple or banana or orange, etc.)
1/8 cup (25 grams) nuts
2 fish oil capsules

9:30-10pm - p+c
1 cup egg whites
2 omega eggs (slice a cheese on top)
1 apple, orange, or banana

Keeping this diet was the hardest thing ever. I had so many people trying to throw me off. I completely dedicated my life to just eating on time, then working and then going home and working out. My social life stopped for this 6 month period. It's nearly impossible to go out when you know you need to stuff your face in an hour and no restaurant is going to serve you what you need. I packed 3 lunches for work everyday and brought a microwave which I used to warm up the meals. I work at a computer so it was easy to work and eat at the same time. I know most people can't do this at their jobs, but I was lucky. The total expense on food and supplements was around $550 dollars a month.

Overall I'm pleased with the results. I wish I could have done a little bit better, but there's always more time. I'm thinking of doing a cutting cycle to get some of this extra fat off my stomach to see a little more abs for spring break, but I'm not sure. All I know is I hope I'll never be that skinny ever again.

I also wanted to thank everyone for your advice and encouragement (jvroig in paticular). I couldn't have done it without you.
worship.gif
thumbs-up.gif

Great job man! Truly, congrats!

I allways saw my best improvements when i followed a really strict diet to the T, like only allowing a cheat day on the weekends or so, strictly counting calories and macro's.

But i fell from the bandwagon. Everyone says calories is all that matters so i find myself trying to do things in an easier way. Like just eating and watching what happens, which ends up in pigging out on carbs frequently late at night.
wow.gif

Gotta get this discipline under control like i used to!

Yeah, great results Sun-Tzu! But you didn't look like you were 18% bodyfat in either of the pictures. How did you get that measurement?

I guessed, well sort of. I had a online test done, then I got on one of those scales, and then I did one at the gym like a year ago and I couldnt remember if he said 13% or 18%, but the other two tests gave me 18% so I figured it was right. What do you think I am?

My height is around 170cm which is just below 5"6'. I have no idea about bf%, lean mass etc.

(1 week 15's, 2 weeks 10's, 4 weeks 5's)
Just finished my 1st cycle of HST (2 months) and here are my results:

Before: 21st Nov 05 After: 14th Jan 06
Weight: 156lbs................165lbs
Bicep: 13.5"....................14.5"
Forearm: 11"...................12"
Chest: 39.5"...................41"
Waist: 33.5"...................34.5"
Calf: 14"........................14"
Thigh: 21"......................22"

I want to add an unfortunately subjective post with regard to my experience with HST. I wish I had taken a more structured approach to my training. Without changing my diet and without measurements all I can say is that my strength DID increase after the first cycle.
Height 6' 3"
10/15/05 weight 209lbs. BF 18% - 1/14/06 weight 218lbs. BF 19%
My bench went from 5x220 to 8x220 to 10x220 by the second cycle just completed. My leg strength went up 30% but I had not been doing any leg workouts due to a knee injury so that should not count. Foolishly I am doing the legs anyway because I know how important leg workouts are to training. Staying away from squats even though I love doing them. Tried to do them and I was limping for a week because of my knee.
My previous workouts were often made up of splits such as chest/tri, back/bi, and legs or chest/back, bi/tri, and legs done once or twice a week time permitting. Gains were slow if at all. I have tried all the various routines such as 5 sets of 5 rep etc. etc.. I always assumed since I was in my late forties now fifties that my body could not handle three total body workouts per week and that I would overtrain. The last time I saw strength gains like this I was actually using a three day a week total body workout. It seems I disregarded it since I had not tried it again until now.
That three times a week workout was made up of one day of high rep, one day moderate rep and the last day low rep heavy weight. Sort of like HST compressed into a one week workout. Has anybody tried that workout? I read about it in a biological abstract of a study comparing it to three days a week of sets of 10 reps. The group doing the 10 reps had less strenth gains that the group doing high reps and then low rep heavy weights.
I know HST is about hypertrophy so I will add that besides the obvious strength gains I appear larger and my knit polo shirts that I wear to work every day are now tight on my arm so that is some indicator of size gains.
HST does work. I do seem to have hit a plateau but I have not taken a break nor have I done negatives. In the past negatives almost always pushed me through a plateau.

I thought I posted his, but apparently I only put it in my journal. Anyway, on the 1st of January, I weighed myself and checked bodyfat. Fortunately, I had done the same thing a year ago in January, just before I started HST.
I did several cycles of HST throughout the year, I did toy with 5x5 at one point as well, but I was eating at maintenance during that time and had no size gains, just strength gains... so all the mass gains I've had were during HST.

So here's the stats:

January 1st, 2005
Weight: 183.0 lbs
Bodyfat: 13.0%

January 1st, 2006
Weight: 216.0 lbs
Bodyfat: 13.5%

This is assuming that my calipers are accurate, of course.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any size measurements until after my first HST cycle, and I don't seem to have written those down. Regardless, I just thought it was interesting to see how one year could change things. I can't wait to see where I'm at in another year from now.

33 lbs in one year? Amazing, good job!
Totentanz:
How was yours cycles?The standart one(2 weeks 15',2 of 10's,2 of 5's and negatives?
How much strength have you gained in this year?
Thank you very much and congratulations!!
thumbs-up.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Giovanni @ Jan. 15 2006,1:10)]33 lbs in one year? Amazing, good job!
Yes, a very good job & inspiring to us beginners.
One question, prior to using HST, had you worked out for long & had you made much progress? Also, which cycle did you see the most results or was it equally progressive?
Thanks!!!!
thumbs-up.gif
thumbs-up.gif

Well, I only did the 15s for the first two cycles. I actually had pretty poor results the first two cycles because I wasn't even counting calories, just trying to eat as much as I could.
My best results were in the late spring/early summer, which would be my third and fourth cycles. I counted every calorie and ate between 4000-5000 calories daily. Those were also the first cycles that I used negatives. I also added in metabolic work during the 5s and negs during those cycles.

Before HST, I mainly did moronic random training, where I pretty much just did benching, some curls, some squats and maybe bentover rows about twice a week. I never bothered with my diet, other than drinking protein shakes pre and post workout... so really, anything I have now was built with HST. I had a flat chest before HST, and my back was rather weak looking too.

Oh, and strength gains in comparison to last year are quite good. I'm rowing almost twice the amount I was before...

Here's my results after my first HST cycle. I was keen to try whole body training after a long spell training as a powerlifter, so I picked HST. Initially I found the whole body approach very taxing, but towards the end I cut down the exercises and Kept at it.

Curiously I FELT that I gained the most during the 10s, but the results show otherwise. Seems like you can't trust how you feel eh?!

Results
All weights in Kg, measurements in Inches

Wk BW Wst Bi® Chst Th® Cf® Total Gain
==============================================
1(SD) 86.8 37 15.75 44 24.75 14.25
3(15s) 88.0 37.5 15.75 44.4 25 14.5 (1.65)
5(10s) 88.0 36.5 15.75 44.5 25 14.5 (0.6)
6( 5s) 88.4 36.5 16.0 45.5 25.5 14.5 (1.75)
8( 5*) 88.4 36.5 16.0 45 25 14.5 (-0.55)
==============================================
TOTAL +1.6 -0.5 +0.25 +1 +02.25 +0.25

As a guideline I finished with lifts (kg) like:

dips bw+35kg x 5 x 5
deadlifts 150x5
chins bw+15 x 5

One thing I found helpful as I hit the 5s was to use an alternating routine, ABA, BAB style. That stopped me from feeling so overtrained, and allowed for larger increments.

Although I did not gain that much weight I felt that I lost fat, and my measurements went up - so I was happy with the results. I was quite surprised by the strength gains. As the 5s got heavier I just felt better prepared to keep the load rising. In fact I could have kept that going I think, but Christmas came and it was a good time to SD for the next cycle.

I'm on my 2nd cycle now, and will let you know in 6 weeks.

Cheers

Cluelessgoon

Back