Newcomer, My Routine

cyclonus

I've been reading through this site, and it sounds like HST can do a lot of good for me.

I've been doing 1 set exercises for some time, based on reading exrx.net, when I delved into periodized training, someone pointed me here and it sounds like a good plan.

The one thing that concerns me is currently I do a two day split (ABX, A= upper body, B= lower body and X would be cardio)

HST AFAIK calls for fullbody workouts, which seems like it will take a lot more time than my current quick routine. So I wanted to know if what I came up with (based on reading the HST pages) is a good idea (despite it being twice as many sets/day):

Squat
Leg Curls
Seated Calf Raise
Inclined Bench
Dip
Chin ups
Bent Over Row
Bicep Curl
Shrugs
Close grip Press
Ab machine

I think this will cover the major areas for me. I also read on other posts that I should just do compounds exercises until I do my 10s

so that'd be:

Squat
Inclined Bench
Chin ups
Bent Over Row
Ab machine

I think... I'm not quite sure what's a compounds... but I was hoping someone could school me ;)

You initial program look like a winner although you may want to add in a shoulder exercise such as a military press.

FYI, dips and close grip bench presses are also compound movement, i.e, they you use more than one isolated muscle to complete the movement.

Tell me, what the heck is AFAIK?   :confused:    Sounds like a taliban word to me.    :mad:

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

By the way, HST routines can be split into A/B if you feel they are too long for your allotted time.
thumbs-up.gif

AFAIK, as far as I know http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFAIK has a list of that stuff ;)

Hmm.. A/B split, I've seen people do AM/PM split, but could I split it across days?

Like in a given week: ABABABX

I imagine this is less optimal, as you may run into not splitting the exercises propperly and might overtrain, but it's worth a shot if I need the flexibility.

I'll see if i can stick to it as close as possible, and adjust later as needed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cyclonus @ Mar. 17 2005,7:14)]Hmm.. A/B split, I've seen people do AM/PM split, but could I split it across days?
:D Hi, cyclonus and welcome!

Yes, you can split it into one workout for six days, if that works better for your schedule.

You have the right idea on the compounds. It refers to the number of joints in motion. Compound exercise for chest would be a press, isolation would be fly, for example.

Happy hypertrophy!
Kate

Back