Deadlift / Squat frequency

Leather99

Hi all,

Just about to start my first HST routine and I am a bit confused over the deadlift/squat frequency I should be using. I understand that HST is based upon frequent training of each body part but some people seem to be saying that you should not squat and dead in the same workout or even in the same week.

Any comments?

I dead 3 times a week. Have done so 4 times.

People recommend not deading and squatting together because it will kill you when you're at your heavier weights...OR the first exercise will diminsh your ability to complete the 2nd at full capacity.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leather99 @ Nov. 18 2005,9:17)]some people seem to be saying that you should not squat and dead in the same workout or even in the same week.
Any comments?
this depends alot on your recovery ability between workouts. Part of this has to do with the fact that lower body generally takes longer to recover than upper body. I, for instance, have found that I can't squat 3 workouts in a row so I only squat every other workout. If I were you, on the 1st cycle I would rotate squats and deadlifts each workout to build a base in both and to see how it affects you leg and lower back-wise. Then you'll have a better idea on whether you can handle squats and deads in the same workout and apply it to your next cycle.

If I wanted squats then I'd alternate.

The sum total of my squats and deads each week would be 3.

So M-W-F goes D-S-D then inverse for week 2, back to that for week 3 and so on.

I don't quite agree with Hardrock about lower vs upper recovery. Pretty much the same for me.

The sticking point for 95% of people is the lower back. Some people can handle a frequently heavy load (I certainly can) and some don't tolerate it as well and get results from less frequent squatting/deads.

i can tolerate maybe 2 squat workouts in a row, 4x squats a week but thats the maximum with a low volume... be carefull with squats, the high weights in combination with high frequency can easily led to overtraining... so just find out how much you can do...start with 3x per week...maybe you need to slow down on volume and frequency when you hit your rm's

I do Squats and Deadlift on every workout. I can't say I noticed any problems so far (several cycles). I will admit it gets incredibly difficult to finish the 15's when doing both but other than that it hasn't been a big deal. My Squat is weeker so I do that first in the lineup.

I am doing leg press and sldl's this cycle, but I make sure I do the deads before the presses so I'll have balance and strength in my legs. I don't think squats will be too different. Next cycle, I may alternate deads/leg press with squats/hypers.

-Colby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (leanlifter @ Nov. 18 2005,2:50)]I do Squats and Deadlift on every workout. I can't say I noticed any problems so far (several cycles). I will admit it gets incredibly difficult to finish the 15's when doing both but other than that it hasn't been a big deal. My Squat is weeker so I do that first in the lineup.
I feel you on this. It's like I am a fish out of water after finishing those two with only 30 second rests in between sets.

I'm not a fan of deads in the 15s...deads for me are the biggest, baddest heaviest thing there is...15 rep deads are just annoying
tounge.gif

Back