Clean Pull (kg)
115/5,5
Straps.

Pendlay Row (kg)
115/5,5,5 PR (and for sets across)
115/10 strong-range partials
Straps.

Notes
PR's across the board this eve: 77.5kg mid-hang snatch triple; 110kg C&J and 5 x 115kg Pendlay rows. Particularly gratifying as I was feeling wiped out before I started.
Left thumb joint still fairly stiff and sore, although it has improved a little. Not getting enough sleep.

Last edited:
Mon 7/07/14

Late Eve Session

Heck! I'm so sore... particularly, arms and upper-back/traps. Of course, legs are nearly always sore and fatigued to some degree.

Warmup
500m C2 Row: 1:46.4; 29 SPM.
Shoulder complex with 5kg plates.
Dislocates with rod.

Press (kg)
20/10, 40/5, 50/5

Push-Press (kg)
W-U: 60/5, 70/2, 75/2
80/2,2,2,2 - belted

Front Squat (kg)
W-U: 60/10, 80/2, 100/2
120/3,3,3,5 - Belted and sleeved

Notes
That was much tougher than I would have liked. Fatigue and muscle soreness was very evident. Right patellar tendon insertion is sore now.
Think I need some decent sleep. May take a day off tmrw.

Tue 8/07/14

Evening Mini-Cardio Session

1k C2 Row: 3:46 @ 26 SPM
1k C2 Row: 3:33 @ Av. 26 SPM, 287.5W

Short ~200m blat @ ~550W; peaked over 600W.

Notes
No weights tonight. Shoulders need a night off.
Thought I might be good for a reasonable 2k tonight, but legs felt heavy and the effects of fatigue kicked in quickly. Decided on 2 x 1k. Good to get some blood pumping round.

One of the guys I train with is always poking fun at my skinny legs. Here's a pic I took the other day:

Lol_quads_07-14.jpg

I think it's because he is shorter than me, so his legs are stockier, even though I lift more than he does. Still, I do agree that I have some way to go before I have the legs of a weightlifter. My calves are genetically crap which doesn't help.

Thurs 10/07/14

Late Eve Session

Did a very short snatch session last night. After a row and shoulder warmup, worked up to 65kg doubles.
Shoulders have been sore for a while but not in a good way, right one especially. Top of right patella still sore where rectus femoris attaches. Thumbs are gradually improving so I can grip things a bit better again now. No straps for tonight's workout.

Warmup
500m C2 Row: 1:54; 26 SPM.
Shoulder complex with 5kg plates.
Dislocates with rubber band and rod.
Nekkid bar work.

Paused Snatch + OHS (kg)
40/3
50/3
55/3
57.5/3
60/3
62.5/3
65/3
67.5/3
70/3
No straps. OHS on final reps only. Pause at just above knee before firing hips.

Push-Press (kg)
60/5,5
65/5
70/5
75/5,5,5
No belt. Focussed on staying tight and driving up through heels. Made the most of the negatives too.

Front Squat (kg)
60/5
65/5
70/10
80/10
90/10 - last rep paused
No belt or sleeves. Speed reps and below parallel throughout.

Notes
Watched a Klokov vid on snatch technique. He recommended the paused snatch variation that I tried tonight. Definitely an effective way to drill positions and powerful hip extension. I'll be doing these again and will push the load up once my shoulders have improved a bit.
Front squats were mainly to get some blood flowing around to encourage a bit of healing.

Fri 11/07/14

Warmup
500m C2 Row
Shoulder complex with 5kg plates

Pendlay Row (kg)
W-U: 40/10, 60/10, 80/10
100/5
120/3,2,2,2

Snatch Pull with Pause
120/3,3
Straps. Pause just above knee on way up and down. Triple extension at top.

Notes
Workout got interrupted so I had to cut things short.
Did some light snatches but decided not to go heavier and to give them a bit of a break until Sunday as shoulders and wrists were still uncomfortable.

Sat 12/07/14

Late Session

Warmup
Shoulder complex with 5kg plates
Nekkid bar muscle snatches

Front Squat (kg)
W-U: 40/10, 60/10, 80/5, 90/5
100/5 - last rep paused
110/5,5,5 - last reps paused
Belt & sleeves for work sets.

Ring Dips

Stretching session for hams and adductors.

Notes
Right knee still a little sore to begin with but felt pretty good afterwards. Sleeves helped.
Trying to push my knees out a bit further to throw a bit more load onto my adductors when in the hole. This also enables me to bring my hips forward a little more and for my torso to stay more upright. Flexibility is still a work in progress.

Mon 14/07/14

Evening Session

Took a complete day off yesterday. I really needed it, although the temptation to do something was strong. Shoulders and wrists felt a little improved tonight, as did right knee.

Warmup
500m C2 Row: 1:54.1; 26 SPM.
Shoulder warmup with rubber band.
Dislocates with rod.
Nekkid bar work.

Snatch (kg)
40/3
50/3
55/3
60/3 + OHS

P-Sn (kg)
60/5
65/3
70/3
75/1X,2,2 + OHS
Straps.

HBBS (kg)
60/10, 80/5, 100/5, 110/5, 120/5
140/5 - uh-oh!
90/10
Knee sleeves and belted for 140kg set.

Stretching session.

Notes
Took delivery of some compression bandages today. Wore them tonight to see if they would work a bit better than the last lot of non-compression bandages. Initial impression is good, although after unwrapping them at the end of the session, they look a bit worse for wear already. They may not last long.
Worse than that was the squishy feeling I experienced in the region near the inside of my left hip when in the hole for rep 5 with 140kg. Never felt anything like it before. Not a good feeling at all. It felt immediately sore but didn't swell up. Weird. I did a few air squats rather gingerly. Seemed ok. Dropped the load to 90kg and did a set of 10. It was a little sore but nothing bad happened. Decided to stop there to be on the safe side. Next squat session will be telling. Hope it was a one-off.

Wed 16/07/14

I've spent a couple of days trying to figure out what happened when I was squatting on Monday. There's definite soreness on the outside and inside of my hip. Palpating all around the area hasn't helped me decide what actually happened. My best guess is that I relaxed a little bit in the hole and my hip capsule shifted a bit; it was such a strange feeling at the time. The only thing is, I wasn't really aware that I let that happen. It's odd that it's never happened before.
Thought I would try some light front squats this evening to see how they felt.

Warmup
500m C2 Row: 1:58.5 @ 26 SPM.

Front Squat (kg)
40/10
72/15,15,15
No belt or sleeves

Notes
Each set of 15 was performed quickly but still under control and to full depth.
Hip was a little sore during first set with 40kg but it was ok for all three sets with 72kg.
Why 72kg? Because my mate happened to be using it for his front squats and it was a good test load for me.
Soreness is still there a few hours after training but it hasn't got any worse. I'll just have to build the loads up slowly and hope it doesn't happen again.

Last edited:
17-18/07/14

In view of my left-hip soreness and the general discomfort in my shoulders (mainly the right), I've had a few days of rowing and higher rep work (15+) to flush a bit of blood and lactate around, along with a good amount of shoulder/hip/ham/ankle mobility work and stretching.
I tried a squat walk-about too which caused some pain and discomfort in my left hip. Something ain't right.
I may try a C&J session tomorrow and see how it goes; and if I squat, I'll be sticking with higher reps until the hip soreness has gone away.

Sat 19/07/14

I decided against a C&J session today. Instead, I thought I'd try some deadlifting as there's reduced hip ROM. If my left hip complained, I'd stop.

Warmup
Shoulder rotations and dislocates with rubber band.
Hip rotations.

Deadlift (kg)
W-U: 40/10; 60/5,5; 90/5; 110/5; 130/5 - speed reps
150/5
160/5,5,5
180/1
190/1
Hook-grip throughout.

Power Snatch (kg)
20/5
30/5
40/3
50/3 + OHS
55/3 + OHS
60/3
65/2,3
67.5/3
70/3 + OHS
Compression bandages on knees throughout. Straps from 55kg

Warm Down
500m C2 row: 1:42.2; 28 SPM; 40 cals

Notes
Got a bit lightheaded after the 190 single but hip was fine. Don't think I could have made 200 today. Too many reps beforehand.
As hip was ok for deads, decided to do a power-snatch session and it went ok. I tried a few overhead squats but the hip soreness was definitely still there. No squats yet.
On the plus side, shoulders and wrists felt much better after a bit of a break and a good warmup. Thumb joints are still bruised up but are slowly recovering.

I've been busy on other things this past week so I've taken an SD of sorts (not that I'm HST'ing these days but the time off has been good for healing lots of aches and pains).
I've been doing mobility work and trying to keep my cals up as I don't want to shrink too much.
The left-hip issue is starting to feel a little better. I think I pulled some ligaments around the joint capsule. My mobility work has been focussing on my hips as they have always been tight. It's quite possible that my hip stretching efforts, combined with heavy fives, allowed me to be pushed further in the hole than I used to be able to go. I think I must have created a bit of instability. I don't think this would have happened had I been in my 20's, but I'm closing in on 50 now so I have to be more careful.
My plan is to start off light and work the loads back up gradually over the course of about 8 weeks and see if I can rebuild hip joint stability while maintaining improved mobility.

I'm away from base at present and not doing any kind of lifting. Walking, C2 rowing and table tennis is about it. My left hip has stiffened up which I'm hoping is all part of the healing process. I'm continuing to stretch it out for a session each day.
I'll probably begin squatting again next week.
Shoulders are feeling generally stiff and sore without some sort of daily abuse. I'm doing rubber band rotations to loosen them up. Daily maintenance is evidently more important for me now than it was even a few years ago.

Fri 1/08/14

Had to do something. Hip has improved enough. Right knee, right achilles and both shoulders are feeling horribly stiff and uncomfortable.

I commandeered an empty stable for a short session. Very gentle start.

Power Snatch + 4 x Hang Snatch + 5 x OHS Combo
20/1
30/1
40/1,1
50/1

Clean + 5 x Jerk
60/1,1

Front Squat
60/5

OHP
50/10

Notes
Stiff and sore. Rather frustrating. I feel like a different person to how I felt only a couple of weeks ago. I hope that getting back into some regular training will loosen me up again. This is the first time I've ever felt like I'm actually getting old. Maybe ibuprofen/NSAIDS will play a prominent part in my training from now on.

Sat 2/08/14

Very brief "Stable Session"

Warmup
Air squats
Pull-ups
Rubber band dislocates
Nekkid bar work

P-Sn + 4 x Hang P-Sn + 5 x OHS Combo
40/1
50/1
60/1
Performed in flat-soled Vans, so positions a little different for OHS's.

Notes
Shoulders feeling improved over yesterday. Right knee a little less sore too. Load not heavy enough to test my hip yet; it certainly wasn't bothered by 60kg OHS's.

Sun 3/08/14

Stable Session 3

Warmup
Band and PVC bar dislocates
Air squats

BTN Press (kg)
40/20

HBBS (kg)
40/10
50/10
60/10
70/10

Alternated with...

Front Squat (kg)
40/10
50/10
60/10
70/10

SLDL
80/21

Warm down
500m C2 Row: 1:49 @ 27 SPM

Notes
Back squats felt more uncomfortable than front squats. Took about a minute to catch my breath between each round of back squats and front squats and a couple of minutes between rounds. Stopped at 70kg as left hip was a little uncomfortable. No point in risking any damage. I'm just going to build up slowly.
I was glad I wasn't training in a commercial gym using these tiny weights. Thankfully, I only had a few chickens looking on.

Mon 4/08/14

Stable Session 4

Warmup
Rubber band dislocates
Nekkid bar work

Power Snatch (kg)
30/5
40/5
50/5
60/5
65/5
67.5/1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1 (10)
Used straps for the sets of 5 then discarded them for the ten singles at 67.5kg.

Pendlay Row (kg)
60/21
70/15
80/11

Notes
When p-snatching, aim was to catch the bar as high as possible to give my DOMS-ridden legs a break.
Couldn't find anywhere to do dips and the stable floor wasn't inviting enough to do any floor pressing.

Back