Higher volume training results

HST_Rihad

This guy has been doing a big volume of work for his lats, about 3-6 exercises of 5 sets of 8-10 reps 2-3 times per week, which could easily surpass a total of 150 reps per bout. His results speak of themselves. Natural.

e7eb96cd86c4accc384a05bd43767de7.jpg

Around 13-15 months between each picture.

Any thoughts? Can the same level of development be gradually achieved doing much lower volume with using 4-6RM loads, totaling about 15-20 reps per workout, or is high volume training the only way to get there?

Last edited:
I thought that was you you at first and I was going to say 'wow you are finally getting results!' lol

Works for him....you won't know if it works for you unless you try it.
Nothing wrong with reaching the end of whatever cycle you are doing now, then smashing out a load of volume for a few
weeks/months to see what happens.

Few thoughts;

-"Natural"; maybe.

-For five years worth of work, I would hope there'd be something in the realm of picture 4.

-That waist and lower back looks remarkably void of deadlifting and squatting.

-Waist and obliques don't seem to have increased at all, which makes me wonder about the illusory effects at play (degree of).

-Every powerlifter ever who has achieved successful hypertrophy in their back did it using low reps, high load, moderate to high frequency. High volume is absolutely not required.

Not bad but his physique isn't that well balanced i.e. traps, delts, arms. I guess if he was specializing in only lats, that's to be expected. I'm surprised his arms don't look bigger in the last three pictures considering he's doing a lat specialization. Maybe if he did a double bicep pose then it would be more noticeable. To be honest, the last two pictures don't look a whole lot different, looks like more optimized lighting, so this definitely worked for building lats... for a while, but looks like not a lot has changed in the last year or so.

There is no question that the more advanced you get, the more volume you will need to see continued results. However, unless you want to spend hours and hours in the gym, you learn how to achieve this more effectively by using myo reps, partial reps, rest/pause, managing fatigue, effective vs ineffective reps, etc. It sounds like this fellow just slugged it out the hard way and achieved good results but probably spent a lot more time training than he needed to, especially in the beginning.

Last edited:
What do you mean? That he was on juice in the past (before reaching his current physique), or that he isn't sincere about not taking it currently?

Either/or. The 4th pic raises a few questions, though his lack or development in traps and lower back would seem to indicate he hasn't been on steroids at least.

Either/or. The 4th pic raises a few questions, though his lack or development in traps and lower back would seem to indicate he hasn't been on steroids at least.
Why does the 4th picture raise a few questions? I don't see anything that couldn't be accomplished naturally in any of those pictures. If you do, please elaborate.

Back