Starting Hst Next Week, Insight Appreciated

Kakelad

Good evening everyone!
I've ran Canditos program and a modified version of the Texas Method in the past.
I've always done basic strength training but am now interested to try some more hypertrophy oriented training, just out of curiosity. I've read the E-book and the "Pimp" e-book aswell.

I'm thinking of doing this program in 8 week blocks with the rep ranges 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 5, 5, SD.
My sample workout would possibly look like this:

Monday/wednesday/friday:

Squat 2x15
Deadlift 2x15
Bench 2x15
Overhead Press 2x15
Chin Up 2x15
Dip 2x15
Close Grip Bench 2x15
Cable Row 2x15
DB lat raise 2x15
Curl 2x15
Hanging leg raises and planks for them abs
Also Cardio on offdays

What do you guys reckon? Any tips? I'm so damn used to tough ass anal strength programs, that I'm a bit afraid HST will feel too easy especially in the first weeks.

Thank you for any insight o/

Since you trained for strength before, your abs are probably pretty strong. The just need a proper diet to show. I would not waste energy on them. Also, the exercises you picked are tried and true but I would consider lowering the curls and CGBP to one set each as you have good arm exercises already.

Doing such close ranges is usually not as effective as the standard 15, 10 and 5 as the change in weight is minimal and you are working at your RM once per week instead of once every two weeks. Much harder on your CNS. And remember, for hypertrophy, working at 70% and greater has been shown to be just about as effective as being near your RM and much less taxing on your system.

You could also consider turning the cable rows into seated face pulls and dropping the lat raises.

All that being said, I think your program is certainly doable and well thought out so you must have actually paid attention to what you read in the e book.

Good luck.

Doing 6 rep range and then 5 rep range is completely pointless. Either do 15, 10 and 5 as Old and Grey suggested, or if you must, then do 12,8,5. You don't need more than three rep ranges. Reread the parts of the ebook that discuss rep ranges and zig zag. Make sure it is this ebook: http://thinkmuscle.com/community/threads/the-hst-ebook.41974/

If you've done strength training primarily in the past, then 15s are going to beat your ass. Especially with squats and deads back to back.

Are you bulking or cutting? If bulking, why cardio on off days? Doing cardio does not improve p-ratio.

Thank you for the replies! I figured altering the rep ranges more would make progressing in weight easier, but I will consider what you both said.
I've always done squats and deads back to back, so I doubt that will be a problem.
I am currently slowly bulking up and trying to pack on some muscle.
I do cardio for a couple of reasons. For cardiovascular conditioning and lung health, as I have a history of a chronic lung disease. I also like to eat more food :p

I've been into weight training only for a couple of years now. I did Jujitsu for several years but had an severe accident and ended up breaking my lower back. I rehabbed my back and lower body through weight training and it kinda stuck :p

An additional question could be made about the Chin Ups. If someone could not do say, 15 chin ups in a row. Could he do less and then progress in reps? Just curious!

Anyway, thank you again for the info! Nothing beats experience in this "sport".
Excited to start HST!

Drop the Lat raises and instead do bent over rows...
All those small increment Rep progressions would likely cause too much overlap to be effective.

If you can't do 15 chins, you can use bands or assistance machines, if available. If not, you can do front lat pull downs until you can get to 15 chins. If you can get to 12 chins, that is close enough. Use added weight, as Leonardo suggested, when you get to the lower reps.

Also, I find that I can do about 15% more chins using a neutral grip, i.e., palms facing in. It takes the strain off of your wrist but keeps it on your lats.

Agree, 15s are brutal. I find bent over rows too hard on my low back after squat and deads, maybe it will not be the same for you.

I have done weighted chins and dips in the past with a belt :)
I can do 12-15 chins just fine without added weight, but not with additional plates hanging.
Would it be dumb to progress in reps for the first 2 weeks, and then as the rep ranges get lower, progress with added weight?

Thanks!

I currently can only do 15 reps at body weight plus 5kgs, all I did in the last cycle when I did chins for the first few workouts of the 15 block is body weight for 15 reps then add 2.5kgs to the penultimate workout and 5kgs to the last workout.

I can do 12-15 chins just fine without added weight, but not with additional plates hanging.
Would it be dumb to progress in reps for the first 2 weeks, and then as the rep ranges get lower, progress with added weight?

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Back