First Week Of Hst

Drew Whitt

I will openly admit I am a complete newbie to this program and weight lifting in general. I'm in my first week, 15x1, and am having a few second thoughts about all this. This week just feels so easy i'm sorta questioning if its worth my time or if I should go back to the splits workouts I was doing previously. attached is a screen shot of my schedule and what exercises i'm doing.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice or wisdom from some of you more experienced guys.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen shot 1.png
    Screen shot 1.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen shot 2.png
    Screen shot 2.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 11
1. How easy or hard a workout feels is irrelevant with regards to muscle growth.

2. 15s are some light weights, especially in the first week. So yeah, it's not going to be that hard. Up the sets and it will be more challenging.

3. Don't ever quit a routine after only a week or two or you will stay small and weak the rest of your life. Pick a routine and STICK WITH IT for at least a few months, ideally more like six months to a year. You can't judge progress after just a week or even just a month.

I will openly admit I am a complete newbie to this program and weight lifting in general. I'm in my first week, 15x1, and am having a few second thoughts about all this. This week just feels so easy i'm sorta questioning if its worth my time or if I should go back to the splits workouts I was doing previously. attached is a screen shot of my schedule and what exercises i'm doing.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice or wisdom from some of you more experienced guys.

Thanks!
Drew,

First things first based on another thread (shown below) last week you were testing your 1rm for all exercises (assumed) and this week you have already started your first cycle of HST so it would appear that you have not taken a 9 day SD, is that correct?

The screen shots I added were just for this sort of pre-training week to assess what weights I should be using at each increment. After this week I be doing vanilla.

As @Totentanz said the weights in the first week of 15s are light and if your set up is 75 / 80 / 85 / 90 / 95 /100% of your 15rm then it is probable that the loads in the first week start at around 48/49% of your 1rm and end with around 55% of your 1rm. So only doing 1 set of 15 on day 1 will seem very light when the loads being lifted you would expect to get 30 or more reps before failure (day 2 would be around 27 and day 3 would be 24 reps).

To make the workout harder then either do as Totentanz stated and add another set (this would be the best option as you are relatively new to BB) or if you want to do just one set then you could just rep out until the bar speed slows down at somewhere around 27/28 reps on day 1 etc

It gets much harder trust me, don't worry too much if it feels easy in the beginning, it will catch up to you soon enough.

Back