Mattonaise's Training Log

Friday (4/3/2015)

Weight: 148.5 (A new high)

Bench: 4x8x120
Incline DB Bench: 1x8x35, 1x5x35 (Stopped cause my shoulder was irritating me)
DB Row: 4x8x45
Lat Pulldown: 4x8x110

I cut it short cause my shoulder is hurting and was affecting my lifting. There's a pain that feels like its located in the ball of my humerus or just behind it. Affects the stability of my shoulder when pressing. Pretty damn annoying that it had to happen as soon as I started making real progress. Any suggestions for what to do if it's an issue on tuesday?

Looking back through your log I would question why you are doing flat bench, incline dumbells and an overhead press movement for 3 or 4 sets of each in one session, seems to me too much for the shoulder to cope with

Just following Candito's program. Maybe my shoulder isn't strong enough to cope with the volume, if that's the case I can go to Candito's control variation for that day.

Just following Candito's program. Maybe my shoulder isn't strong enough to cope with the volume, if that's the case I can go to Candito's control variation for that day.

Is the incline bench mandatory? I know that on Candito's 6 week program (which I'm thinking of doing), he specifically states that for an accessory movement on upper day, one should go for something like a chest fly rather than another chest press movement because you're already doing bench and OHP on the same day.

Monday (4/6/2015)

Weight: 145.0
Squat: 3x6x175 (last rep was very tough)
Deadlift: 2x6x230 (Still tough especially after squats, but not as bad)

Jesus Christ they were heavy, as long as I can keep depth though and complete the sets I'll keep pushing.

Is the incline bench mandatory? I know that on Candito's 6 week program (which I'm thinking of doing), he specifically states that for an accessory movement on upper day, one should go for something like a chest fly rather than another chest press movement because you're already doing bench and OHP on the same day.

In his hypertrophy upper day they are a core exercise, the linear program is available for download on his website if you're interested.

So I have the feeling that the shoulder thing may be a bit chronic, so I'm sparing my shoulders from heavy work this week. Instead I've just done some body weight exercises at home to failure. Mostly just so I don't feel as if I'll come back weaker/feel lazy for not going heavy on upper body, but still letting it rest from heavy pressing.

Such as today I did:
Pushups w/ feet elevated (about 2.5 feet): 15 reps
Pullups: 10 reps (Adjusting my pullup form a bit, I used to grab the bar at shoulder width and pulling to my chin like a chinup but now I'm going wider and pulling up to my eye-line. Scooby's advice so I'll try it, I like how it feels so far)
Diamond Pushups: 12 reps
Neutral Grip Pullups: 10 reps (neutral grips are more shoulder width so pulling to chin line on these ones)
Makeshift Bench dips: 15 reps
Chin-ups: 10 reps

All to failure, so still a decent workout but my shoulder wasn't irritated which is good.

I don't think you should be going to failure with shoulder issues even if it's BW stuff. You should be letting the joint rest a week if it's really bothering you.

I also think you should reexamine your bench form because you've complained about shoulder issues in the past after benching. Maybe post a video here like you did with your deadlift.

Pullups: 10 reps (Adjusting my pullup form a bit, I used to grab the bar at shoulder width and pulling to my chin like a chinup but now I'm going wider and pulling up to my eye-line. Scooby's advice so I'll try it, I like how it feels so far)

Scooby also recommends squatting on a skateboard as opposed to under a barbell. Take that how you will. ;)

IMO it's not any sort of pullup unless your chin clears the bar. You can do it by raising your head up at the end which is how I was taught and what the Marine Corps allows (decreasing ROM), but I would try to have at least the tip of your chin clear the bar, head up or head neutral (preferably, though I do it head up when I'm doing them heavy weighted pullups) so you know you're where you need to be each time you go up.

Last edited:
Monday (4/13/2015)

Couldn't measure my weight today, the scale needed some oiling.

Squat: 3x5x175
Deadlift: 2x6x235

Had a weak day this day, guessing it was that I wasn't eating as much over the break as I had, hurt my strength. Squat took a hit, but I was still able to progress on the deadlift. Will attempt 3x6x175 again next Monday.

Tuesday (4/14/2015)

Weight: 147.0

Bench: 3x6x125 (Felt decent, no issues with shoulder. I forgot to take a video of my bench which I really should do unfortunately)
DB Row: 3x6x45
OHP: 1x6x85
Pullup: 1x6xBW
Rear Delt Row: 3x12x10 each side
Cable Curl: 3x12x60

I may change friday's upper workout to Candito's control variant. Still higher volume that day than the tuesday workout, but not as much as the hypertrophy variant. Main difference is that there's no incline pressing, and the bench and rows are done with a pause/contraction.

Scooby also recommends squatting on a skateboard as opposed to under a barbell. Take that how you will. ;)

IMO it's not any sort of pullup unless your chin clears the bar. You can do it by raising your head up at the end which is how I was taught and what the Marine Corps allows (decreasing ROM), but I would try to have at least the tip of your chin clear the bar, head up or head neutral (preferably, though I do it head up when I'm doing them heavy weighted pullups) so you know you're where you need to be each time you go up.

Haha while he may recommend them I don't think he says you should replace barbell squats with skateboard squats. ;)

Whenever I move my arms out to get a wider grip than shoulder width on pullups, the very last part of the ROM feels extremely awkward and I have absolutely no leverage. Maybe my form is off.

Haha while he may recommend them I don't think he says you should replace barbell squats with skateboard squats. ;)

Whenever I move my arms out to get a wider grip than shoulder width on pullups, the very last part of the ROM feels extremely awkward and I have absolutely no leverage. Maybe my form is off.

Then do what's comfortable, as long as you're committing to the necessary ROM each rep.

I generally do my pullups @ about shoulder width nowadays.

Thursday (4/16/2015)

Weight: 146.0

Paused Squat: 6x4x160 (Still felt heavy, but I feel as if I tolerated the volume better than on Friday)
Paused Deadlift: 3x4x205

Back