Injury Advice

Drew Whitt

I tweaked my shoulder a few weeks back and at the time it really felt like nothing, but more recently its really started to bother me a little more doing lifts. I'm very new to hst and today was my first day doing my 5s of my first macrocycle. I was just wondering what you guys would suggest for me to do? should I tough it out till the end of this two week cycle and then use the strategic reconditioning period to rest it? or should I stop now and let it rest? If I do take a week off should I pick back up at my 5s again or should I restart completely back to my 15s?

Thanks guys, i'm really not sure what to do here.

Stop whichever exercises are causing pain/trouble/soreness/discomfort/limited movement. There's no benefit to continuing to frustrate it.

If all exercises are doing it (both push and pull) then it's definitely worth getting it checked out by a physiotherapist - probably worth it regardless, to be honest.

Continue with exercises you can do; lower body, any upper body.

SD and fixing the problem is absolutely the right play in the short, medium and long term analysis.

Agreeing with Jester, staying healthy is far more important than a handful of workouts. If you don't want to go to a doc there are a lot of youtube videos that might be helpful. I'd recommend starting with Kelly Starrett.

Totally agree with Jester and Adpowah.

Find out what you've done to your shoulder and then work on strengthening it once it's had time off to heal. Do tons of light band dislocates to get blood to the area and to improve mobility and healing.
Make it a plan to strengthen your rotator cuff muscles as well as the more showy delts.

If you can finish the 5's for exercises that don't cause shoulder pain then do so. Then you can take a break and actively rehab your shoulder with band work and various rotations and stretches. Don't start exercising your shoulder with load again until it feels good to go or you will just wind up back at square one.

Ditto very strongly with the above. More injury now means less gains in the future and can even lead to surgery.

Back