Few Questions About The Hst Routine

simon_g

Hi!
I'm in my early 30', my weight is 91 kg, I'm 181 cm tall, my body fat is about 25% (if the domestic scale can be trusted :)).
Here are my (rather shameful) measurements:

Right Arm/forearm: 36/29 cm
Left Arm/forearm: 33/28.5
chest 104
waist 104
hips 107
Right thigh/calf 64.5/40
Left thigh/calf 61/40.5
shoulders 114cm
I'm somehow new to the proper weightlifting, I do enjoy doing mostly deadlifts and squats (with relatively small weights, many repetitions), as well as doing cardio (running, rowing).
Anyway, recently (i.e. yesterday) I went to the gym to check out my one-repetition maximums, using Brzycki method ( 1RM = weight_in_kilos * 36/(37 - amount_of_repetitions)) where I've found that:

1 RM of squats (with barbell resting on my shoulders) is 120 kg ( 13 x 80 kg) - a bit pathetic, I'll have to check it once again on Sunday
1 RM of incline bench press is ~ 82 kg ( 15 x 50 kg)
1RM of lat pull down (on the cable machine, bar behind the head) = 117kg ( 16x 65kg)
1RM of a triceps extension (using 16kg KB) ~ 59 kg (23 reps) ~ 59 kg (clearly, I have to run this one again with heavier weight).

Here are my questions about my HST routine (please, be not shy if you have any comments about it):

1. First things first- How can I calculate my 15, 10, 5 RM? (according to ebook I've found 5RM equals, roughly, to ~85% of 1RM- but what's about 10RM and 15RM?)

2. Here is my draft of routine:

I'd be exercising 3 times per weak: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. I've got MMA/sambo classes on Saturdays (2 hours, basically just for fun). At this moment I'm slightly overweight, I'd like to improve strength/size of my legs, back (both lower and upper) and triceps. Getting couple (or more) inches in my chest wouldn't hurt me either.

Well, anyway:

Squats with the barbell x 2
ez bar triceps extension x2
Flat Bench press with the wide grip x1
Military press x1
Wide grip back lat pull down x2
seated cable row x2

That's for my first cycle, I may add more exercises later (i.e. for the next one) if it would be necessary.
So here is a question: for the 2 set exercises (like squats)- do I perform one after another, or should I go to the next exercise and comeback to it after doing 1 set of others (so- squat, ez, bench, mp, lat pull down, cable, than squat, ez, lat pull down, cable)?
Also- are there any benefits of doing cables vs bent over barbell row?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Simon

You can find your 10 and 15rms by formula or the good old fashion method. 10rm is between 70-75% of your 1rm, 15 is 60-65%.

For your workout routine I would suggest you do triceps last and your military press standing rather than sitting. I would also suggest you do 3 sets of squats every other workout and on the days you do 2 sets of squats you do 1 set of deadlifts. IMO 2 sets of one leg exercise is not enough volume.
So here is a question: for the 2 set exercises (like squats)- do I perform one after another, or should I go to the next exercise and comeback to it after doing 1 set of others (so- squat, ez, bench, mp, lat pull down, cable, than squat, ez, lat pull down, cable)?
I'd perform your sets one after another for efficiency.

As adpowah says but for me 10rm is between 75 - 77.5% and 15rm is 65 - 67.5%

Domestic scales not to be trusted.....

You mention you want to improve your triceps, do you have access to dipping bars as these will do more for your triceps than ez bar extensions and are generally kinder on the elbows!

Any compound exercise that requires a bar to move freely through the air is better IMO than a machine / cables so I would prefer to do bent over rows (Pendlay) rather than cable rows and pull ups / chin ups rather than lat pull down if a chinning bar is available.

Back