_tim's Log

Lunchtime...

Standing Preacher Curls: 4 x 6 @ 95

My triceps are DOMing like mad, and the pressure on the pad was nuts. Worth the isolation for my biceps though. The 3rd set was RP'd 5-1 as grip was shifted out wide for that set.

Bench: 4 x 6 @ 225
So very happy - especially given my tri's being angry. Sets 3 and 4 were both RP'd 5-1 with a 3-breath RP. No spotter, wrist straps.

Incline Bench: 155 x 12, 7
Sets were RP'd 11-1 and 6-1 respectively. Tri's and delts were torched like mad, so I was fine with the reduction in volume here.

So happy with my progress with this re-do of the pattern. Everything is balanced for the most part, with more mid-intensity focus on biceps working out perfectly for back work. I still have a few workouts in this cycle, which should end next week and allow for my vacation the following week to be a nice break.

The curse of the Mondays persists.

Deads: 2 x 5 @ 275

Squats: 2 x 12 @ 225

The second set was RP'd 9-3 simply due to conditioning.

This was supposed to be a leg C workout, but the equipment necessary wasn't available at the same time. So - I decided to increase the loads and push the two primary posterior chain lifts in their respective rep ranges. I was insanely careful with the deadlift sets. Everything I did today was raw - not even chalk was used. I used OH grip for both dead sets.

Rope Tricep Extensions: 4 x 6 @ 125

BB Curl: 105 x 6; 2 x 6 @ 95; 85 x 6

I reached here intentionally; this is the last bicep work before my break.

Seated DB Curl: 3 x 12 @ 35

Front Raise: 2 x 5 @ 75
|
DB Lateral Fly: 30 x 12; 20 x 12
|
Seated DB Bent Fly: 2 x 40 @ 10

My form on the Bent Fly reps was real questionable as the sets passed the midpoint. I never dropped the baby weights, but I definitely was pausing.

All in all, a good one today.

Hello again. all.

7/2/2015
Bench: 3 x 6, 4 @ 205

The last set was RP'd 3-1, and the 1 in that equation was enough for me to call it. My tricep fatigue was noticeable.

BB Curl: 4 x 6 @ 75

Incline Bench: 2 x 12, 4 @ 135

Same theme as the flat variety - my muscular endurance took a hit.

SA Cable Curl: 3 x 12 @ 30

Ok. I was in another serious car accident while on vacation. My car was totaled, meaning that I just bought my 2nd car in about 6 months. Dude hit us going 45 miles an hour to my 10. This accident was in many ways worse than the one in January; my girlfriend and all of our kids were in the car this time. The kids are ok now, but Cal is still dealing with abdominal trauma. I am much, much better now, but in the first two weeks after the accident, I had a very difficult time walking - my right side was forced into the center console and my hip took a direct hit. So - workouts are going to be slowly increasing over the next couple weeks in both frequency and content. I'm going to be very reactive for the next month, and will pick up my cadence again in August.

Good grief, Tim! Very sorry to hear about this but very glad you are all alive. It could have been so much worse. All the very best to you and your family as you travel along the healing road together. Speedy recovery!

Thanks Lol! I truly appreciate that.

NG Chin: BW x 6, 6, 3, 3

SA DB Row: 4 x 6 @ 70

Left side is noticeably weaker than the right side.

Rope Tricep Extension: 4 x 6 @ 130
|
Cable Row: 3 x 12 @ 130

For the rows - RP's on sets 2 & 3 of 9-3 and 6-5-1 respectively.

Cable Pulldown: 2 x 12 @ 110
Stopped after two sets due to form breakdown toward the end of set 2.

Overall, this was an intentionally decent amount of back work that bled to my biceps and deltoids. Steps forward, people. Humble steps forward.

Squats: 4 x 6 @ 225
Raw; close to ATG for work reps. Right side fared well through these, but I was winded.

Hyper Back Extension: 3 x 12 @ BW
|
Bulgarian Split Squat: 2 x 12 @ BW

The second set on my right side was RP'd 6-6. I think there is lingering damage there that I just have to work through. This is a good lift to do just that.

That was all she wrote today. I stretched and went about the day.

Hoping for a good week..

Squats: 4 x 6 @ 225

Core needs some help, so it's getting injected into the week. Conditioning is rough, too, but that will get hit no matter what as things progress.

Skullz: 3 x 6 @ 85
|
DB Row: 3 x 6 @ 85

Time was an issue today, so I got in as much as I could while adding a bit of a challenge as she went.

Pulldown: 120, 130 x 12
|
Rope Tricep Extension: 90, 110 x 12

Time was the predominant reason here for the -1 set.

All in all, hoping to get things realigned this week. Fingers crossed.

Two in a row!!!

Bench: 3 x 6 @ 205

This was programmed for 4 sets, but the 3rd set was RP'd 4-2 and the RPE on the double was pretty high. Seeing as I had no spotter, I cut the 4th set and moved on.

BB Curl: 4 x 6 @ 75

Front Raise: 4 x 6 @ 65

My deltoids lose strength quicker than any other part of my body. The last two sets were challenging here.

BB Curl: 30 x 12; 2 x 12 @ 35
|
SA Cable Bent Lateral Raise: 3 x 12 @ 30

Conditioning was the sole item in question here. I was huffing and puffing a bit too much for the work being done.

Bit by little bit, I'm feeling more like me. I'll admit that having blood in my biceps is addicting - as I type this, my upper arms feel damn good. Besides the work that they need to keep pace with back lifts, this has been a nice resultant of the work itself over the past couple months.

Conditioning Day

HIIT Elliptical: 15:00

The split was :30 high intensity/:30 low intensity. The machines at our gym shut off if you completely stop. I'd put most of the high intensity work at near-sprint paces.

Burpee: 3 x 5
|
Battle Rope Short Waves: 3 x :10
|
Tire Flip: 2 x 2

By round 3, I had no energy left. I limped through both the Burpees and the rope work. The tire flip was not attempted.

No fun, and at that very humbling. For this to have kicked my ass as it did is pretty eye opening.

Seemed like a very light number to me, Jester. Most of the research that I read calls for at least 25:00 for optimal results. Dunno - extremely hard no matter what.

Squats: 4 x 6 @ 245
Beltless. I can now confirm after watching a host of vids on YouTube that I do low bar squats, and have for many years of my lifting career. Fits my frame, I guess. Regardless, these sets were tough for me. I didn't have any RP's or even inter-set pauses (standing with the bar on my traps) but still, this was a challenge.

Hang K2C: 10, 10
Done SS'd with squat sets 1 and 3.

Front Squats: 135 x 5, 4
The first set, believe it or not, was a failure set. I went into the hole and didn't come out. I had to dump the bar. This was very telling to me in terms of the ground lost over the last several weeks. Muscular endurance training will be a for-sure after this microcycle. I think I need it as a prereq to move forward.

Rollout: 8, 3
|
Russian Twist: 6 x 20, 10

Yeah - I think I need to do a dedicated core day.

Bench: 4 x 6 @ 205
No RP's; wrist straps used. On that score, anyone have a set of wrist straps that they like? I need to upgrade to something with a thumb loop, I believe.

Incline Bench: 3 x 12 @ 135
Last set was RP'd 8-3-1, 5 breaths between 8 and 3 and 10 breaths between 3 and 1. Incredibly happy with the chest work today.

WG Pulldown: 2 x 5 @ 150
|
SG Pulldown: 2 x 12 @ 110
|
Cable Row: 65, 50 x 40

First C ever that came close to the intention of the "giant set". To clarify the above - the first grip was wide and pronated, the second was shoulder-width and supinated, and the rows were narrow, neutral grip (palms facing). The first row set was heavily RP'd after rep 18. The second row set was not RP'd at all, which both surprised and a bit disappointed.

BB Curl - 4 x 6 @ 85
|
Front Raise: 4 x 6 @ 75

I did these as close to a superset as possible.

DB Curl: 3 x 12 @ 40
|
SA Cable Rear Delt Fly: 3 x 12 @ 35

Last set of curls was RP'd 9-3; RP was 5 breaths.

K2c/Pike: 5/5/5/5; 5/5/5/5
These were done in sequence, without a break.

Last one for the week given schedule fun. Hope y'all have a wonderful weekend; looking forward to next week.

8/4/2015
Skullz: 4 x 6 @ 95

Squats: 135 x 10; 185 x 8; 225 x 6
|
Bulgarian Split Squat: BW x 7, 8, 10

Very quick workout; I ran out of time for my leg work, so I made the most of it with this superset.

8/5/2015 late
Barbell Curl: 4 x 6 @ 95

Intentionally reached across the board last night. The 5th and 6th reps of the 3rd and 4th sets were rough.

SA DB Curl: 2 x 12 @ 45
Second set was RP'd 8-2-2. 4 breaths used for pauses.

Bench: 215 x 5, 4
|
Incline Bench: 155 x 12, 3

The second Bench set was RP'd 3-1, and the first Incline set was RP'd 8-2-2. 4 breaths used for pauses.

Cable Cross: 2 x 40 @ 37.5
|
Cable Curl: 2 x 15 @ 85

Conditioning; Short One

5:00 HIIT Elliptical

This was 2:00 WU, 5:00 work, 2:00 CD. The cadence was 0:30 all out, 0:30 intermediate movement. I think that the resistance on the machine was set higher than before. My quads were on fire by the third sprint, and I was completely and totally out of breath for the duration of my time at the gym.

Bench Abs (triple reps): 2 x 10 @ 135

K2c/Pike: 5/5, 5/5

That was all the time I had, and literally, all the energy I had. I was fed, so there's no plausible reason for my destruction after 5:00 of 30/30 HIIT unless the resistance was up. Stupid me - I didn't look before I left the gym. As I type this, I'm still mildly out of breath.

8/12/2015

WG Pulldown: 130 x 6
SG Pulldown: 145 x 6
Cable Rows: 2 x 6 @ 165

Skullz: 4 x 6 @ 95?

No idea how much the bar I was using weighed. 15? 20? Definitely wasn't a quarter.

Rope Tricep Extension: 3 x 12 @ 125
Last set was RP'd 7-5. 3 breaths.

The back work was an A routine, and I figured I'd try to hit as many parts of that structure with the limited amount of work I did. Hopefully that explains the volumes.

BB Curl: 2 x 5 @ 95
|
SA DB Curl: 2 x 12 @ 45
|
Cable Curl: 2 x 40 @ 50

Sadly, though this was insanely fun, the only RP's happened on the second round of DB curls. That set was RP'd 6-3-3, with 3 breaths between. The second set of 40 was a bit disconnected as I had to wait for a person to finish their set before doing mine. I'm guessing that to be the reason for the lack of RPs in the second high rep set.

K2C/Pike: 10/10, 10/10

Rollout: 6, xx

The second set featured two roll out reps, but no roll in....

Russian Twist: 2 x 25 @ 10

Been a while, but...

Deads: 4 x 6 @ 225

Raw, conventional. I had a gym cronie audit my form and he saw no rounding of my back or shoulders and uniform alignment throughout. That was my sole goal - perfect form. Nice to pull again, despite the baby weights, respectively.

OHP: 4 x 6 @ 95
|
WG Pullups: 2 x 6, 1 x 4 @ BW/Shoulder-Width PU: BW x 5.5

The OHP work was insanely easy. Been months since I did 'em, and damned if this was simple. The pullups happened simply due to time. RPs: 4-1-1, 4-2, 3-1, 4-1.5. Grip was a big factor; I added chalk for PU set 2, and it helped, but the fatigue was bad.

OH Cable Rows: 145 x 12; SG Cable Rows: 145 x 11.75
Switchup; grip was awful.

Bench: 4 x 6 @ 205

Hang Bicycle x 1
Hang K2C x 10

The bicycle thing was something I think I saw on YouTube once. Literally hang, pike, and pretend that you're cycling in a recumbent bike. I went until form breakdown but did not count reps. The K2C set was done after a very short break.

Medicine Ball Exchangers: 20 x 5, 2

Simple one today.

Back