Hst And Sport Balance?

I don't believe there is an article that specifically compares strength + cardio on the same day vs alternating.

My determination is based on the studies showing relevance of recovery. I'd like to find some re: active recovery, but I guess there don't seem to be any given how hard it is quantify recovery.

@Old and Grey ,

Very impressive stats there! As I am blessed with tiny 6 inch wrists, I believe such results would only be possible with Some drug assistance for me. I once calculated my natural max to be 16 inch arms tops.

Regarding cardio. It is also true that weight training only improves VO2max, endurance and many other things that are good for your heart Health! For example Mehdi from stronglifts 5x5 dismisses cardio.
I can personally say that weightlifting only has greatly improved my endurance. I walk 25 minutes a day split into 4 groups from and to work with a train in between. So Bouts of around 7 minutes of seriously brisk walking. Since lifting, I can do this effortlessly keeping up maximum pace at an almost normal, resting, breathing tempo.

Mehdi from Stronglifts is highly unqualified. He's a marketer, not a personal trainer or researcher. Just bear that in mind.

I don't believe there is an article that specifically compares strength + cardio on the same day vs alternating.

My determination is based on the studies showing relevance of recovery. I'd like to find some re: active recovery, but I guess there don't seem to be any given how hard it is quantify recovery.

Yup, there is a whole lot that needs to be studied here but the funding is not made available. Our government, among other wealthy nations, believes it is more important to spend billions on projects like photographing Pluto than curing cancer or on how best to live a long and productive life.

Yup, there is a whole lot that needs to be studied here but the funding is not made available. Our government, among other wealthy nations, believes it is more important to spend billions on projects like photographing Pluto than curing cancer or on how best to live a long and productive life.

Your government outspends the nexxt 25 countries combined in defense and military expenditure. I'd make a start there if it were up to me.

I would also, absolutely stop pretending a free market is ever capable of functioning in an integrated society.

But we could be here a while if we start on politics, philosophy and economics )

Pluto's photography and similar/like-minded space endeavours I can live with - humanity has always had wonderous dreams whenever we've looked to the sky.

I originally typed a long response but then realized that we have allowed ourselves to get way off base here. Suffice it to say that cardio can be performed anytime you feel like it. Yes, it may slow down strength gains a little if you do not compensate for the calories expended but you may just live longer.
There are other more appropriate forums that will discuss any political, social or economic theory one supports.

O&G,
You mentioned this earlier, maybe in another thread. Do you feel HIIT or LSD goes better with HST, especially from a stand point of not hurting one's hypertrophy?

Personally I choose low intensity (low impact) steady state cardio (LISS), 3 times per week in 20 minute sessions. I do it for heart health, not weight loss. In the 1960's, LSD went better with sugar cubes.

Perhaps I should clarify even further. I prefer LISS although any type of cardio is better than none. Also, I prefer to do it on off days as it makes it easier for me to recover from on days rather than combining them into one day all the time. Life sometimes alters that. Programs should be tailored to what works best for you, not someone else.

Last edited:
@Jester

I dont know the qualifications of Mehdi. Several studies however prove the benefits of lifting on cardiac Health and endurance .
Personally, I can testify that lifting improved my endurance greatly.

@Old and Grey

Very true! You must see what works for you! Hence the importance of doing your OWN program design and ditch the cookie cutter programs from the beginning

@Jester

I dont know the qualifications of Mehdi. Several studies however prove the benefits of lifting on cardiac Health and endurance .
Personally, I can testify that lifting improved my endurance greatly.

@Old and Grey

Very true! You must see what works for you! Hence the importance of doing your OWN program design and ditch the cookie cutter programs from the beginning

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't take strength advice from a marketer.

Obviously cardio will improve performance and health when applied in moderation etc.

Back