Should I Cut Or Bulk?

np89

I have done two cycles of HST so far, gained probably 5 lbs and gotten a lot stronger. I am 6'3 182lbs. I did a fairly dirty bulk from 165 to 175 or so. Every lb of weight I gain seems to go straight to my stomach or ass, literally none seems to go anywhere else.

Because of this, even though I have fairly skinny arms and legs, my gut almost looks like I'm a 40 year old man with a massive gut. I actually think my physique looked better before I ever started working out.

At this point, do you guys think I should cut, and start from a lean base, or just keep going and worry about it later? Pics are below...

CRYOkX.png

OLi9GI.png

Personally I would say bulk based on your stats, but I have a couple of questions

1 - What is your current workout routine and how long have you been lifting
2 - What is your calorie intake and do you know your macros

Last edited:
Having all your weight gains go directly to your stomach may indicate low testosterone/high cortisol levels. You should get them checked or else anything else you do change-wise is just guess work.

Personally I would say bulk based on your stats, but I have a couple of questions

1 - What is your current workout routine and how long have you been lifting
2 - What is your calorie intake and do you know your macros

I have done two cycles of HST, my typical workout is:
1 x 15, 2 x 10, 3x5
Squat
Front squat
Dumbell bench
Dumbell decline
wide grip pull ups 15 total reps
skull crushers
bicep curls

I am thinking of switching to a 3 day split for a few weeks

As far as daily intake, according to myfitnesspal:

Calories: 2148
Carbs: 226g
fat 81g
protein 130g
sodium 1,040mg
sugar 44g
1.5l of water

Having all your weight gains go directly to your stomach may indicate low testosterone/high cortisol levels. You should get them checked or else anything else you do change-wise is just guess work.

Is this something I can just ask my doctor to do?

Yes. There are also some mail-in sites on the internet but I do not know how good they are. Through your doctor, your health coverage, if you have any, kicks in unless you have not met your deductible for the year.

Personally I would replace one of the squat exercises with deadlift, drop one of the dumbbell presses and replace with overhead press, drop skull crushers and bicep curls and add in Pendlay rows (or cable rows)

In respect of calories you are eating nowhere near enough, get protein up to 180 or higher and calories should be at least body weight in lbs x 15 possibly more for bulking - I eat in excess of 2200 (at 170lbs) when cutting and lose between 1 and 1.5lbs per week

In my understanding; having too much belly fat will impact your leptin, which can make it harder to gain muscle. Based on that I would cut.
For me, I also tend to freak out during a cut if I am too fat. I can't help but crash diet, and then I lose too much muscle. I hate cutting for a long time and find it more satisfying to cut more often instead.

During my current bulk, I'm up 20lbs. At +10lbs, I hardly looked different from when I was at my lowest, cut weight. Now, however, I do have noticeable belly fat. I'm not concerned... Worrying how I look at this stage is just sabotaging my hard work.
Currently at 176lbs, consuming 3100 to 3400kcal daily.... 190+g of protein and aim for 350g carbs.
Maybe a little high... But I put on 4 or 5lbs over Xmas while I SD'd (which I really didn't want to do) but I'm sticking to my plan of 1+lbs a week gain, even though I've already hit the target I wanted to hit by Feb 28th.
As for lifting, my dumbells have been collecting dust the whole time! Hard and heavy compounds only... Just the basics.

Back