Lol's New HST Log

Additional Note
I'm no longer going to log warmups, cardio or mobility work but I will always be doing something along those lines at the start of each session. It should reduce the time it takes me to log here, so I'll be more inclined to bother.

Hello fellow HST'ers,

Did the site go offline for a while? I haven't been able to log in for a couple of weeks. I'm very pleased to find it's back again.

I'm toying with doing a powerlifting meet in October as it's being held locally. My numbers are currently way down so I have much work to do.

I currently weigh ~88kg and can pull 180kg, squat 150 and bench 105 on a good day.

I'm hoping I can get my DL up to 200, squat up to 170, and bench up to 115 by the meet. These numbers may be optimistic in view of the time available but I'm counting on regaining strength being quicker than gaining it in the first place. Of course, I'm older now so that may not be the case. Still, I may as well try. I don't want to get injured so I'm not going to push myself too hard too soon.

I was wondering about lifting Sumo style for deads instead of conventional but it feels unnatural. Perhaps if I had more time...

Anyway, I haven't settled on a program as yet. I'm thinking of doing more volume this month and then focussing more on heavy singles, doubles and triples during September and to try to get my form as solid as possible by October.

I'm going to be high bar and front squatting this month but will switch to low bar the month before the meet.

Any thoughts always welcomed.

Cheers.

Hello fellow HST'ers,

Did the site go offline for a while? I haven't been able to log in for a couple of weeks. I'm very pleased to find it's back again.

I'm toying with doing a powerlifting meet in October as it's being held locally. My numbers are currently way down so I have much work to do.

I currently weigh ~88kg and can pull 180kg, squat 150 and bench 105 on a good day.

I'm hoping I can get my DL up to 200, squat up to 170, and bench up to 115 by the meet. These numbers may be optimistic in view of the time available but I'm counting on regaining strength being quicker than gaining it in the first place. Of course, I'm older now so that may not be the case. Still, I may as well try. I don't want to get injured so I'm not going to push myself too hard too soon.

I was wondering about lifting Sumo style for deads instead of conventional but it feels unnatural. Perhaps if I had more time...

Anyway, I haven't settled on a program as yet. I'm thinking of doing more volume this month and then focussing more on heavy singles, doubles and triples during September and to try to get my form as solid as possible by October.

I'm going to be high bar and front squatting this month but will switch to low bar the month before the meet.

Any thoughts always welcomed.

Cheers.

You could do a lot worse than this;

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10gSl7pGOS2sQ8hUW7660Pdk6rAKrpHuBy2SRHRzT2lE/pub

Also, do high bar at the meet. Strength is a skill, and that's your preferred skill - not low bar.

Sounds like a good plan. I like single training for singles, I feel I get more out of getting my body ready for the heavy weights than I do from a little extra hypertrophy work. Also yeah the site was down for a while for me too.

Sounds like a good plan. I like single training for singles, I feel I get more out of getting my body ready for the heavy weights than I do from a little extra hypertrophy work. Also yeah the site was down for a while for me too.

It's the latest from Mike Tuscherer.

Thanks guys.

@Jester: re HBBS: Yes, I am much more familiar with HBBS now, but I find I can usually get an extra 5kg if I switch to LBBS.
Eg. Tonight I got a 157.5kg LBBS and may have made a 160. I will try again in a week's time.

Thanks very much for the Mike T program. I will spend a bit of time looking through it.

Have you checked out Chad Smith's advice over on the Juggernaut Training site?

25-27/07/16

Mon: Max Effort Bench
Warmups then singles up to 110kg

Tues: Volume Bench
Warmups then
92.5/5 X 5
100/3
Not paused

Wed: Max Effort LBBS
Warmups then singles up to 157.5kg

Notes:
Pretty pleased I made a 110 bench. I'm more hopeful for ~120 by October now.

I'm doing some accessory work as well as the main lifts but I'm not going to log it.

Thanks guys.

@Jester: re HBBS: Yes, I am much more familiar with HBBS now, but I find I can usually get an extra 5kg if I switch to LBBS.
Eg. Tonight I got a 157.5kg LBBS and may have made a 160. I will try again in a week's time.

Thanks very much for the Mike T program. I will spend a bit of time looking through it.

Have you checked out Chad Smith's advice over on the Juggernaut Training site?

Yes, CWS's advice outrates his programs IMO.

But he comes from a sport performance athlete angle, not pure powerlifting.

Competing sounds like a lot of fun. Are you aiming for a particular weight class?
Its an IPF meet so I'm planning on entering in the 93kg weight class. That will allow me to add a bit of mass between now and October.

If you can get your total back to even just 1000, that would be a solid total in that weight class. Are you setting up your program so that you'll be peaking around the same week as the comp?

I'm curious to see how it works out for you, as I'd very much like to do the same sometime soon.

@Totentanz: I think 1000 should be very doable, assuming I don't get red lighted for silly things. Eg. The IPF rules require that soles of shoes remain flat on the floor while benching. It's quite easy to lift the edge of a shoe or to lift a heel a bit when concentrating on pressing. This is why it's important that I train this way consistently. I don't want to be thinking about it at the meet. It's also important to wait for any judging cues prior to and following a lift, or it's three red lights, even if the lift was otherwise perfect.

As far as training goes: yes, I shall aim to peak on the day of the meet. If I'm realistic, what that really means is that I will skew things towards hypertrophy from now until some time in September, and then I'll give myself a few weeks before the meet to focus more on strength building and improving my form.

What got me thinking about entering a meet myself was because I've been helping my friend's 19-year-old lad with his training. He entered the East Midlands IPF meet back in June and went 9 for 9 and managed two PRs. He's in the under 83 juniors and managed 155 squat, 87.5 bench and 190 deadlift for a 432.5 (952lb) total. It was a great result for him because he hadn't been training for long and it was his first meet.

He decided he wanted to do the IPF South West Championships in October as they are allowing guests and, as it's being held about 2 miles from where I'm currently staying, he can stay with me. Joining the IPF isn't expensive and neither is the entry fee, so I decided I may as well join in the fun.

I currently have to spend time in two places each week. I only have the use of my bench and rack in one place and so I'm doing two bench sessions each week, back-to-back, plus a floor-press session or two at the other place. It's working out ok so far.

Fri 29/07, evening session

LBBS after warmups:
125/5,5,5,5
130/8,5

8 X 130 points to ~160.
I think I had at least one rep in the tank too.

Paid my GBPF membership today and visited the local gym where the meet is being held. It's right opposite my old primary school. Last time I was there I was 11 years old, 40 years ago.

Use your oly shoes when benching btw
Yup, that's what I'm doing. They effectively allow me to lift my heels about an inch. Helps with my arch which is fairly rubbish and unlikely to improve much.

Yup, that's what I'm doing. They effectively allow me to lift my heels about an inch. Helps with my arch which is fairly rubbish and unlikely to improve much.

I would suggest that rather than try to create an arch, your cue should be to focus on making a platform/shelf with scapula and surrounds, and try to push that into the bench. You legs will follow and arch will form.

Then when actually bench, instead of into the bench, try to push through the bench with upper back.

Reactions: Lol
Cheers, Jester. Something else I always try to do when benching is to consciously tighten everything (legs, abs, entire back, grip, and adding torque to arms through shoulders) before I lift the bar off. The weight feels much lighter when I do this than when I forget. Much better stability.

Q: do you think I should do my own lift-off in the comp or use spotters? I think there's a choice. I'm so used to lifting off myself now but is there an advantage in having spotters help with the lift-off if they do it correctly? I could get some practice in before if it's worth it. My loads are relatively light so it's not the same for me as for the strong guys.

Sunday 31/07/16, evening session

LBBS - max effort (kg)
60/10, 80/3, 100/1, 120/1
140/1
150/1
160/1 - current PR
165/1 - current PR

Deadlift - max effort (kg)
140/5 - O-shoes; hook grip
160/1 - O-shoes; rev grip
185/1 - socks; rev grip - current PR

Accessory work
SLDL (kg)
110/10
130/10

Face pulls - 20 reps
(Bar on low rack; me lying underneath and pulling myself up to it so forehead touches bar; rigid body)

Notes
160 squat was hard but went up smoothly, so I figured I'd try 165. Not my best form but ok for a current max. Good sign that I'm doing something right. Only 10kg off my target now.

185 dead wasn't so great but it was soon after squats. Will hope to get 190 next week.

For openers, I'm thinking...
Squat: 155
Bench: 105
Deadlift: 180

I haven't taken creatine for several years. I'm thinking I probably should get some and start taking it now. I recall responding quite well in the past. Any thoughts?

Back