Best Cutting Strategy?

Mojo77

Title basically says it all, what is the best cutting strategy?

Is it better to go low carb/high fat or high carb/low fat? Or should you confuse your body and mix it up from one week to another or is that all plain BS?

Further I think cutting at about a pound a week is good and that is what I do now.

Any advices are very welcome!

UD2.0 works. Lyle M has some other fairly extreme ways to get shredded that also work but are none too pleasant.

You can't really "confuse" your body by switching up the diet... but, you can optimize your diet by timing nutrient intake and doing refeeds or taking breaks when necessary to keep your metabolism from slowing down too much. So since switching from one diet to another isn't going to help you lose fat, your best bet is to just find a diet scheme that allows you to lose weight and is easy enough for you to stick with.

Lyle's RFL diet and UD2.0 are both great plans that work wonders, I would recommend either one depending on your current bodyfat level. But if you can't stick with the diet (they both require a lot of willpower) then they won't work for you. It's easy to say that you should do RFL if you are above 15% bodyfat or so, and cut down until you are closer to 10% bodyfat, then switch to UD2.0 to get down into the single digits without sacrificing too much lean mass. That would work great if you could stick to the plan without having any episodes of binging or going insane.

TLDR: The best cutting strategy is whatever you can stick to long enough to lose the fat. Sounds like a crap answer, but it's the truth. Just counting calories and making sure you don't go over your daily limit can be enough.

I have been looking into UD2.0 but for me it's way to complicated and unpractical. For starters I don't count or weigh food, carbs etc and don't want to do this either. Second I have my warm lunch at works which makes it impossible for me to know what the macro breakdown is. I go by feel. Now you can tell me to throw that out and prepare all my meals myself but that would be way too unpractical. And things that I dislike and/or are unpractical are things that I will not stick to for a very long time.

Why can't I have a simple refeed (read semi-binge) day every 7 to 10 days?

I will tell you about this. Last week I was at around 73.3 kg with around and 84 cm waist. More accidentally then purposely I had a big carb refeed day last thursday. It was an off day, no training with a big pizza at lunch and an even bigger pitta/kebab in the evening. So plenty of fats, carbs and proteins. I gained about a full kg or 2.2lbs back in just one day. Right after, I went back to going lo-lo which means moderately low carbs and fats with highisch proteins. 1 full week later, I am back to 73.3kg BUT my waist is now 82 cm instead of 84. So I lost around 2 cm in waist size at the same weight. So I lost fat but stayed the same weight, so somehow i gained muscle?

So can't I just do that? Pig out once every 7 to 10 days as a means to lose fat and maintain muscle mass during a cut?

So can't I just do that? Pig out once every 7 to 10 days as a means to lose fat and maintain muscle mass during a cut?
No. If it was that easy, Lyle wouldn't have bothered writing out UD2.0 for your enjoyment.
Of course, you can try any method you like, but after you've lost a few kgs things will get tougher and if you don't have a plan or you aren't disciplined, your cut will end in frustration.

Last edited:
And I did it again!

I had a full week of diet hard and lo-lo and felt tired and drained since two days already. I even skipped my workout last night because of this. After another full day of low cals high protein I said fuck it last night and pigged out on coke and big sack of paprika flavored chips!

This morning I gained about 0,9 lbs in weight BUT my waist was down 0,5cm! And that is what counts, the waist shrinking.

So to me, lyle is overcomplicating things and a simple refeed every week is working wonders. Mind you, since I have a full day of diet hard, you can have in my experience one pig out meal, preferably in the evening on non training days and you'll do great. Still, with this pig out meal, given the rest of the day was diet hard, I probably barely reached maintenance calories.

You say low calorie but how low are your calories per day?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no idea because I don't count it. I estimate it around 1500cals a day. Some days even a bit lower .It's low enough for me to loose between 1 and 2 lbs a week these days. My scale has my bmr around 1750 cals daily

I have no idea because I don't count it. I estimate it around 1500cals a day. Some days even a bit lower .It's low enough for me to loose between 1 and 2 lbs a week these days. My scale has my bmr around 1750 cals daily
That for me is where your energy issue is, lack of calories (unless you are massively under estimating caloric intake) - that's equal to your body weight in pounds multiplied by 9.375 or less, that is in my opinion is extremely low particularly for someone who lifts regularly, I cut on BW x 13.5 which would be ~2150' at our body weight (~72.5 kegs) and that will give me weight loss of on average 1lb per week.

You really need to track your calories to determine how much you are actually eating.

I don't have a problem with hunger, as I am a natural under eater. I want to shed the fat fast, and these refeeds seem to be working just nicely, so I'll just keep this up.

I'm think inversely, during a bulk, having a cut day once a week dropping back to maintenance, would be beneficial as well to lower fat gains.

I didn't refer to hunger I was referring to your energy levels!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back