Getting Involved..

shields88

Hi everyone,

I've been a member for a while but I'm using this as a log to keep myself motivated and to ask any questions should I come stuck.
I got married in the middle of the year and was in alright shape - 175lbs @ roughly 12-15% body fat. Since then I've let myself go - a mixture of injuries and laziness - and I'm now sitting at 190lbs. I couldn't tell you my body fat percentage, although my electronic scales say 16% I'd be more inclined to say its over 20%.

I'm starting HST with a cut. I'll do this for 6-8 weeks depending on how happy I am with my progress and I'll change to a bulking cycle when I see fit.

I'm off to the gym now so I'll update with my lifts the next time I visit.

Oh, and I'm using the standard cutting cycle in the HST e-book.

Got myself into the gym today and to be honest I over estimated myself. I managed:

2x10's -
Squat: 85kg
Rom dead: 80kg
Calf raises: 70kg
Bench: 60kg
Rows: 47.5kg
Military Press: 37.5kg

I struggled in there today. Well I didn't struggle, I just couldn't see how I would be able to manage the numbers I had planned towards the end of the 10's.
Given the old numbers I was doing before the wedding this should have been easy. Don't know if its the time out, really poor nutrition over the last 2 months or a combination of them both.
Anyways, I have decided to push a couple of lifts 5kg or so back and progress from there.

And no, I didn't work out my maxes - honestly thought I would be able to guesstimate from the last time I regularly went to the gym.

I didn't have time to update the thread throughout the week so ill do it now.

Wednesday
Squat: 80kg
Rom dead: 85kg
Calf raises: 70kg
Bench: 60kg
Rows: 50kg
Military Press: 35kg

Friday
Squat: 85kg
Rom dead: 90kg
Calf raises: 75kg
Bench: 65kg
Rows: 52.5kg
Military Press: 37.5kg

As discussed in the last post a pushed a few lifts 5kg or so back and felt much better for it. Lets see how I feel though after the second week of 10's.
I'm looking forward to getting into the 5's - it's my favourite number of reps.

I jumped on the scales this morning and so far this week I've lost 3lbs. Happy with this so far and feeling good.
I did want to stick to my full diet plan for the full 6-8 weeks but we had reason to celebrate so went for a mini-cheat at Wagamama's.

Glad to hear your getting back into things mate.

Muscle memory is a fantastic thing and I'm sure you'll get back to where you were in no time ...

Just curious but why skip the 15s ? I personally love them and find they make the 10s and 5s seem much easier in contrast.

I believe he has skipped the 15s because he is currently cutting

Cheers @mickc1965 I forgot the cutting variation doesn't include 15s lol

I still find them very beneficial and would hate to skip them ... But I suppose for cutting its definitely best to keep loads fairly high to minimise muscle loss

Squat: 90kg
Rom dead: 95kg
Calf raises: 80kg
Bench: 70kg
Rows: 55kg
Military Press: 40kg

Ben, Mick is right I'm currently cutting. Another 7-8 weeks should do the trick and then I'll put myself in a nice surplus for the best part of a year.

Quick question. With the right program and nutrition, average genetics, and for someone who has lifted intermittently (admittedly with long periods out) for about 4-5 years, how much lean tissue could I expect to gain in 6 months?

I understand every person is different. I'm only asking as I'd like to set realistic expectations for myself.

Workout 5 of the 10's:

Squat: 95kg
Rom dead: 100kg
Calf raises: 85kg
Bench: 75kg
Rows: 57.5kg
Military Press: 42.5kg

Man I feel so weak compared to where I was last year. The workout was fine, just when I look at what I was lifting back then compared to now its depressing.

Wish I'd never stopped training this way.
Onwards and upwards anyways.

Edit: Weighed myself this morning out of curiosity and I'm at 185lbs - happy with that

Done my first workout on 5's today. Was pretty easy to be honest. On my phone ATM so will update lifts when on the computer.

I've not eaten at all lately as I've had an operation and had no appetite. Got on the scales this morning and was 181.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I'm getting bored of this diet already. Just wanna get in a surplus and get some proper weight on the bar

So I'm half way through the 5's now.

Squat: 105kg
Rom dead: 105kg
Calf raises: - didn't do as worked out from home
Bench: 75kg
Rows: 62.5kg
Military Press: 47.5kg

Not sure if I should be lifting heavier - at what point during the 5's should you be lifting heavier than the 10's?

Anyways, I'm cutting and staying in the cut until I get to where I need to be. So can keep on increasing the weight on the 5's until I can't increase anymore.

Bit of a bad weekend for me if I'm honest. Was out twice for a family members birthday so need to get back on track next week.

Feeling good in the gym though!

As a side note, has anyone moved over to bodyweight exercises? Really want to incorporate them along side my HST cycles - not for any other reason than I think its pretty cool.

Would this hinder my progress on HST?

Squat 115
Deads 115
Bench 85
Rows 67.5
Military Press 52.5

I've been doing mobility work and stretches the last couple weeks too, gonna start with some basic Bodyweight exercises over the next couple weeks

So, I'm at the end of the 5's now so I'm just going to continue with the same weights as my last session until I'm finished cutting

Squat 115
Deads 120
Bench 90
Rows 70
Military Press 52.5

Really wish I was finished with this cut as I want to add some muscle but I'm carrying too much body fat as it is, especially after the weekend - I went out for a friends birthday and fell off the wagon all weekend.

Was roughly 181 this morning though so a steady 4 lbs in the last 2 weeks or so.

Sad thing is I don't know how much more fat I need to lose. My scales now say 14.4% which would mean another 8lbs until I reach 10%. I'd be more inclined to say another 14-15 lbs as a minimum .

Back