Hst Noob Setup

fabber

Hey Guys,

thx for the great Forum and the free Ebook!

Ive been training for 10 month now. The last 5-6 month Ive been following Lyles Bulking Routine. Now Id like to try HST.
Ive read the ebook and will follow the basic routine. Right now Im in deload and will go for a mini cut since Ive hit 15% BF. So in about 3 weeks im ready to start HST.

Problem is Ill only have 6 weeks and then Ill be on a 10 day holiday trip. How should I incorporate this into my first cycle? Afaik Ill need 1 week to determine the maxes and atleast another for SD which will put me right at the end of my 10s phase before Ill leave for holidays?

Thx for any advice!

@fabber, welcome on board, do you know your current rep maxes for either 5 or 10 reps? Bear in mind you generally skip the 15s during a cut.

Hi,

thx for the fast reply. As I mainly work in the 8 or 12 rep zone for my old routine, so I could only calculate the 5/10 maxes. Furthermore Id like to stick to my old routine for my 1-2 week long cut, since Ill be able to see, if Im loosing muscle (Ill do a RFL variation that worked for me before).

There is no reason why you cannot do a 12 and 8 rep block for your first cycle (rather than 10 and 5 reps) so you can start your 9 day SD sooner rather than later and then you would have time to test your 5, 10 and 15 rep maxes just before your holiday ready for your second cycle on your return

I think I dont quiet understand.
I train my mainlifts, which are Bench, Cablerow, RDL and Legpress in the 8 rep range. And my Assis. work , which are OHP, Pulldowns, Legcurl and light Legpress in the 12 rep range (I also do some light arm and core work with 12-15 reps).
So if Id do the basic routine layed out in the ebook I dont know my rep maxes.

But how about I do the following for the 6 weeks Ive before the holiday:

Take 1 day in the gym and test ~5 rep maxes and then CALCULATE my 10/15 rep maxes (I know its not optimal, but better then nothing).

Week 1: SD

Week 2: 15s

Week 3+4: 10s

Week 5: 5s

Week 6: 5s and test new maxes.

Week 7+8: SD/Holidays.

That would mean I shorten the 15s and 5s by one week.

Ok, as stated before I would not do the 15 rep block whilst cutting as you are trying to preserve muscle while cutting and this rep range will not do that for you, so you can either test your 5 rep max or your 10 rep max or both or you can calculate your 5 and 10 rep maxes via an online rep max calculator (http://www.allthingsgym.com/rep-max-calculator/ will give your rep maxes for 7 different methods and also the average of all 7), if you test your maxes then take 9 days for SD, so it would look like this

Week 1 - SD (9 days minimum required)

Weeks 2 & 3 - 10s

Weeks 4 & 5 - 5s

Week 6 - you can either extend the 5s or test your new rep maxes

Weeks 7+ - enjoy your holiday!!

Hope this makes sense

Ok sorry if I was unclear about it. The 6 weeks before my holiday will be the start of another BULK, since Ill finish my cut (only 1-2 weeks of rapid fat loss) before that. So Im going to bulk on HST not cut.
Ill try to present a better timeline starting now ending on the 31.3. (holiday). So 9 weeks total :)

This week : Deload on my old routine

Week 2+3: Cut on my OLD routine, since I dont wanna start a new rountine on a cut. I want to keep my strength during the cut and Ill have a better comparism, if I use my old, known, routine for that.

Weeks 4-9: stated as above.

That makes sense?

Last edited:
Just as much me as I missed the mention of 'Rapid Fat Loss', your plan is ok but I personally would prefer to see the following

Week 1 - SD

Week 2 - 15s (80 / 90 /100%)

Weeks 3 & 4 - 10s (standard 75 - 100%)

Weeks 5 & 6 - 5s (standard 75 - 100%)

Weeks 7+ - enjoy your holiday!!

Instead of re testing your maxes at the end you could always add 2.5 kgs for the smaller muscle groups and 5kgs for legs etc to your tested / projected rep maxes on the last day of each rep block.

Hi Guys,

so I came back from holiday (13 days SD). Beforehand I tested my 15 and 5 rm maxes and calculated my 10s, because I was short on time.

Yesterday I had my first 15s training and I must say it felt pretty hard. Today Im rly sour in chest and hamstrings. Is it supposed to be like this? Im using the first sample routine from the ebook.
Should Ive gone for the alternating or split routine, as Ive already 1 year of lifting experience (6 month Starting S., 6 month Lyles Bulking routine). I feel like I cant regenerate from 3 whole body sessions per week :S. Diet is 300-500 kcal+ as described in the book.

Thx!

Ah another one: in the book it says i should go for a weight gain of 0,5-1kg per WEEK. Isnt that a little too much? Even if I only lifted for a year now.
The numbers I know are around 2 kg per month as a beginner and half of that as intermediate.

I take it even slower than that currently aim for about 0.5 kgs per month as this allows for majority of the year in a caloric surplus as I spent most of last year In a caloric deficit which was very detrimental to retaining muscle so bulks are a lot slower to ensure minimum of fat gain

ye i aim for 1-1,5 kg pder month as im pretty light with 80kg at 1,92m @ around 13% BF. Going to bulk up to 90 kg now.

Sorry, its me again :)

So my hamstrings are still too sour to train from monday. Should I just skip them during todays training, or should I switch the routine, as I dont seem to get enough recovery?

If hamstrings are too sore to train then maybe skip doing hamstrings today but I would train them if it's just DOMS and see how I felt while training, maybe just drop the volume a bit to allow recovery

The volume is already at 2 sets for legpress and only 1 for rdl. Ill just skip RDL and maybe Legpress today and see, if it gets better.

Back