Been On Long Miserable Cut. Back To Hst?

robthebeast

Hey guys. Havent posted in a while. I decided early this year i needed to lose some fat and went on a ridiculously long slow cut. Not sure what i did wrong as i tracked macros and was averaging around .6 lbs per week weight loss. Went from 195 to 169. Lost a LOT of size/muscle. Its gotten difficult to look in the mirror actually. Decided to start lean bulking after a week or two of eating at maintenance. Debating on jumping back on HST or trying something like Texas Method to realy get my core lifts up as theyve dipped back down to intermediate numbers. Anyone else feel miserable/depressed with how they look after a long cut?

G'day Rob! Yeah I went on an unintentional cut the last 5 months or so (I've never actually been on a proper cut haha), been unwell so not able to train properly at all and ended up losing roughly 7kg. Fair bit of size was lost but have gained a fair bit of it back these past 5 or 6 weeks. Tends to come back quickly. It honestly gave me a good chance to let go of being so attached to the body and how it looks, I only want to train because I enjoy it and I feel like there was a lot of insecurity around the body which motivated training (which can't actually be resolved through training and bulking), so it was great in that respect haha, although maybe not helpful to your post. But yeah I'd definitely jump back on HST and get a proper consistent cycle going mate :). Strength will come back too, mine plummeted dramatically, but it seems like something is inbuilt and remembers what it used to be able to lift haha, so that'll climb up quicker too.

You probably didn't actually lose muscle as much as you think you did. People always think they are losing everything when they go on a cut. There is a long stretch that is usually anywhere between 10-20% bodyfat where people look like junk when they are on a cut - varies a bit depending on how you store fat, of course. And the temporary strength loss is normal too. Proper lifting on a maintenance diet will likely fill your muscles back out quickly. Biggest reason why you really shouldn't look in the mirror too much when on a diet and just focus on the end goal. If you were lifting heavy enough during the diet and losing as slowly as you say, then the odds of you actually losing mostly muscle, or even significant amounts of muscle, is extremely low. Obviously some lean tissue loss from the fat loss is inevitable.

You probably didn't actually lose muscle as much as you think you did. People always think they are losing everything when they go on a cut. There is a long stretch that is usually anywhere between 10-20% bodyfat where people look like junk when they are on a cut - varies a bit depending on how you store fat, of course. And the temporary strength loss is normal too. Proper lifting on a maintenance diet will likely fill your muscles back out quickly. Biggest reason why you really shouldn't look in the mirror too much when on a diet and just focus on the end goal. If you were lifting heavy enough during the diet and losing as slowly as you say, then the odds of you actually losing mostly muscle, or even significant amounts of muscle, is extremely low. Obviously some lean tissue loss from the fat loss is inevitable.

Thats what ive read but man. Ive lost some serious size. My ribs stick out and my hip bones stick out. Can feel my ass bones when i sit. Think my neck is two inches smaller too. Went from looking like a beast in Large and XL shirts to barely filling out a Medium. It screws with your mind bad lol

I would say no need to do anything drastic. Just change back the environment to be anabolic (food + training + rest) and your body will shift back to where it was. Plus, if you are careful with your diet, you may end up being leaner than before at a given weight.

Back