Myoreps?

Or he’s actually Deadpool.
So I have read and which is the reason why I asked. If I recall correctly GVT is done with compound exercises and there it’s no problem?

I myself have started doing 6 sets of 5 with a weight I can do 10 reps with with 15 sec rest to be in an optimal strength and size range while using as little time as possible. Got the inspiration from Christian Thibaudeau’s know your percentages where he calls this training style density work.

So I have read and which is the reason why I asked. If I recall correctly GVT is done with compound exercises and there it’s no problem?

I myself have started doing 6 sets of 5 with a weight I can do 10 reps with with 15 sec rest to be in an optimal strength and size range while using as little time as possible. Got the inspiration from Christian Thibaudeau’s know your percentages where he calls this training style density work.

We have research showing that 5 sets is actually superior to 10 sets of 10, i.e. the volume is simply too far off to the right of the dose-response curve (I have good reason to believe it flattens out right around the 3-5 set per workout range) that it ended up being less effective than doing half the volume:
https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/..._of_a_Modified_German_Volume_Training.21.aspx

We have research showing that 5 sets is actually superior to 10 sets of 10, i.e. the volume is simply too far off to the right of the dose-response curve (I have good reason to believe it flattens out right around the 3-5 set per workout range) that it ended up being less effective than doing half the volume:
https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/..._of_a_Modified_German_Volume_Training.21.aspx
So when taking out the ineffective reps you can do it myostyle and do something like
10 - 3 3 2 2

Also gets you to a 5 x 10

So when taking out the ineffective reps you can do it myostyle and do something like
10 - 3 3 2 2

Also gets you to a 5 x 10

You could, but like I have said earlier and explain further in the e-book, Myo-reps really shine at higher rep ranges and lighter loads where the metabolic stimulus enhances motor unit recruitment and the mechanical signaling (mechanotransduction).

In the context of HST, I think 3 sets of 10 reps is a good training dose and I wouldn’t go to 5 sets - and I also consider Myo-reps to be too exhaustive for a 3x/week full-body workout unless it’s the very last 1-2 workouts of the 10s phase.

Very cool study! Found the full text PDF, that was really interesting. For once, the 5 sets weren't 'all maximum/to failure', they were CFT sets where only the last set was a max effort, and still the 5 sets matched the 10 sets for growth. Nice find!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...63/6/1/7/pdf&usg=AOvVaw1TN5alyTTQf5Yc2Wvi8CcD

You could, but like I have said earlier and explain further in the e-book, Myo-reps really shine at higher rep ranges and lighter loads where the metabolic stimulus enhances motor unit recruitment and the mechanical signaling (mechanotransduction).

In the context of HST, I think 3 sets of 10 reps is a good training dose and I wouldn’t go to 5 sets - and I also consider Myo-reps to be too exhaustive for a 3x/week full-body workout unless it’s the very last 1-2 workouts of the 10s phase.

From what your podcast said, once the reps drop on myo, that ends it right?
so like
15+4,4,3 stop
15+4,4,4,3 stop
15+4,3 stop
Right?

If that format is too much for 3x per week, what about just
15+4 stop and do no more, 3x of 15+4 'might be better than' 2x of 15+4,4,3?

From what your podcast said, once the reps drop on myo, that ends it right?
so like
15+4,4,3 stop
15+4,4,4,3 stop
15+4,3 stop
Right?

If that format is too much for 3x per week, what about just
15+4 stop and do no more, 3x of 15+4 'might be better than' 2x of 15+4,4,3?

Yes, that’s how it is auto-regulated.

I personally think that 1 Myo-rep set as prescribed is better than 3 traditional sets, while tagging on a rest-pause set on the end of a traditional set (which 15+4 essentially is) will be somewhere in between.

Any big changes that should be made when following the intermediate template for myo-reps for a lifter who is dieting? Or should auto-regulation mostly take care of it? Or is one better off using a typical lower volume routine and just adding in a myo-reps day like in the flexible template?

The main issue I've seen so far (only ~2 weeks in though) is that my hunger is out of control on myo-reps days and the day after. Yeah, yeah, I know it's a diet and to suck it up, deal with the hunger, etc, but it's definitely a cut above the hunger I normally feel when doing lower volume HST 5s/10s during a cut. I've just been adding in calories on those days and accepting that my cut may go a bit slower.

Any big changes that should be made when following the intermediate template for myo-reps for a lifter who is dieting? Or should auto-regulation mostly take care of it? Or is one better off using a typical lower volume routine and just adding in a myo-reps day like in the flexible template?

The main issue I've seen so far (only ~2 weeks in though) is that my hunger is out of control on myo-reps days and the day after. Yeah, yeah, I know it's a diet and to suck it up, deal with the hunger, etc, but it's definitely a cut above the hunger I normally feel when doing lower volume HST 5s/10s during a cut. I've just been adding in calories on those days and accepting that my cut may go a bit slower.

For dieting, I tend to let auto-regulation take care of it - yes - but I can also make a point that as you get more advanced a calorie deficit will impact recovery more...and since growth will be harder to come by at this point anyway, one could just aim at maintenance (which requires both less volume and frequency) during a cutting phase. I actually use hunger cues that you have initiated a powerful growth response, so if someone isn’t very hungry - regardless of bulk or cut - something might be wrong with their workout volume, intensity or frequency. I say "might", because there are many mechanisms involved here, and some actually experience loss of hunger from a particularly brutal workout due to the stress response (although you could then also argue that growth would be better from a workout producing less cortisol).

Reactions: Sci
Finally got my copy of the Myoreps ebook (part of my birthday pressie), it looks just awesome. Can't wait to get stuck into it, it's so comprehensive. And I have a feeling myoreps is going to be a method that will be much appreciated in my older years too.

Finally got my copy of the Myoreps ebook (part of my birthday pressie), it looks just awesome. Can't wait to get stuck into it, it's so comprehensive. And I have a feeling myoreps is going to be a method that will be much appreciated in my older years too.

Great, let me know how it goes :)

T-nation recently did an article on Myoreps:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-exact-reps-that-make-you-grow

Would you say they did a reasonable job of describing it @Blade?

Looks pretty good, although they only really mentioned you once (not that it's about that though) and didn't provide any links or references for more info on Myoreps nor your ebook.

They explained it mostly well and provided a nice weekly progression (although perhaps quite a slow progression).

A reasonable job, as could be expected from some PT who likes to read and wanted to share a cool method he came over in order get attention for it :D

Hmmm any suggestions for chest isolation exercise for the myoreps set? On the intermediate template is Pec Deck Flyes, and I do have a machine chest press/pec deck machine, but it's seen better days and not sure what happened but through the movement it absolutely loses tension at certain points (cable gets 'stuck' I think).

I could do DB flyes, although you do recommend an exercise that has the highest amount of tension when in the fully contracted position...

Was thinking of doing DB flyes with bands XD, tying the bands on each DB so that at the top of the movement the pecs have to contract hard to maintain that position, creative solution? XD

That or just BB Bench

I would stick to a machine for any chest overhead movement. Also, weighted push ups and dips are good.

I would stick to a machine for any chest overhead movement. Also, weighted push ups and dips are good.
Ah yeah I guess I meant more specifically for those constant tension myoreps sets. My machine constantly gets 'stuck' during the movement, and hence you lose tension in the working muscle, so I couldn't properly get an occlusion-like effects with it.

In the template it has pec deck flyes or cable flyes (compound exercises it saves for other days). Hmm unless I just strictly use bands? That would be interesting, and I have multiple resistance levels to work through...

That or doing DB flyes and to make sure not to lose tension (don't bring dbs all the way to the top)....

Back