Starting Over From Scratch.

I'm still sore from Monday, and increasing the weights. This is going to be brutal.
Thank god for aggressive music.

HST
Moving on to 5s phase. No zig-zag, it seems illogical to regress loading and I have yet to see compelling evidence for zig-zag, maybe I overlooked it.
Even without any zig-zag, starting with the loads I left off in the 10s phase, still barely needed any rest between the first 2 sets.

Yeah I'm not 100% sure about the zigzags, but I do quite like them as it's a nice recuperation from the RM workout or two. I think they're important as it allows a little semi-deload for the system, but if you feel you don't need it it'd be fine I'm sure. I think the idea in the HST FAQ was that you'll still be eliciting growth as the RBE is still catching up, and as long as the trend of the cycle is progressing it doesn't matter, and one doesn't have to progress in weights every single workout (Borge wrote an article on this I believe).

I'm still sore from Monday, and increasing the weights. This is going to be brutal.
Thank god for aggressive music.

Haha ah cool music. Never got into the d'n'b scene, but got into trance stuff many years ago.

Reactions: Sci
HST log
4 sets of 5 reps
•split squat: 100
•Romanian deadlift: 255
•s/l standing calf raise: 95
•iso-lateral Pulldown: 185
•Iso-lateral decline Bench: 185
•Standing DB row: 45
•1-arm DB press: 40

Fluff
Facepulls:
tried them Simons way, definitely had to use lighter weight, as I suspected it isolated the infraspinitus (primary external rotator) really well.
It felt unnatural as I suspected also.
I returned to a pronated grip and got a good pump across the upper back/rear shoulders.

Barbell Curls: 60 2x10
Weigh in @199 pounds (drank a lot of water)

Yeah I'm not 100% sure about the zigzags, but I do quite like them as it's a nice recuperation from the RM workout or two. I think they're important as it allows a little semi-deload for the system, but if you feel you don't need it it'd be fine I'm sure. I think the idea in the HST FAQ was that you'll still be eliciting growth as the RBE is still catching up, and as long as the trend of the cycle is progressing it doesn't matter, and one doesn't have to progress in weights every single workout (Borge wrote an article on this I believe).

Haha ah cool music. Never got into the d'n'b scene, but got into trance stuff many years ago.

Yeah, that makes sense for trained subjects, however, being I am untrained, and regaining lost muscle (memory), I can absolutely progress loads much faster than a trained subject.

I will probably adhere to the zigzag once I get hyooge

It’s irrelevant if you trust DUP studies and RPEs collated usage.
Yeah I've never properly looked into DUP studies and it's effect on hypertrophy, I know it's been well documented for strength and performance, training up for comps and developing benefits of all rep-ranges and volumes all at once.

I know some guys here have done DUP style, am keen to look more into that and it's effect on hypertrophy (and whether it's more effective than standard linear progression etc). I have done similar things in the past, training 3x week, each day had a different focus (heavy mechanical tension, midweights muscle damage/stretch focused, lighter metabolic stress), and I found it quite fun anyways. Probably didn't eat properly though.

Yeah I've never properly looked into DUP studies and it's effect on hypertrophy, I know it's been well documented for strength and performance, training up for comps and developing benefits of all rep-ranges and volumes all at once.

I know some guys here have done DUP style, am keen to look more into that and it's effect on hypertrophy (and whether it's more effective than standard linear progression etc). I have done similar things in the past, training 3x week, each day had a different focus (heavy mechanical tension, midweights muscle damage/stretch focused, lighter metabolic stress), and I found it quite fun anyways. Probably didn't eat properly though.

Well DUP has is really nothing more than describing heavy-light-medium protocols anyway.

Back to current context - I wouldn’t ever worry about zigzagging.

Sci, how have you found muscle growth? Has muscle memory worked well for you? I've just got the start of my journal up there. Will be starting next Monday! The early sessions of the 15's always seem so boring

Sci, how have you found muscle growth? Has muscle memory worked well for you? I've just got the start of my journal up there. Will be starting next Monday! The early sessions of the 15's always seem so boring

Regaining muscle is just easier and more rapid than growing into new mass levels.
In a few months I should be back to my previous muscle mass,

HST log

4 sets of 5 reps
On all exercises.

•split squat: 105

•Romanian deadlift: 265
120kg, felt really heavy, you guys doing 200kg+ regularly are back beasts.

•iso-lateral Pulldown: 190
Last rep of last set was near failure.

•Iso-lateral decline Bench: 190

•Standing DB row: 45
Metabolic set 30x10

•1-arm DB press: 45
Metabolic set 30x10

Fluff
Facepulls: 30 2x10
Barbell Curls: 60 2x10
Weigh in @197 pounds

Have a lot of stress and anger in my life lately specially today, it’s exciting that I’ll get to take it out attacking heavy weights tonight

You’ll get there with deads, just takes time and getting the reps in.

Metabolic sets on one arm DB press looking good, building those cannonballs.

You’ll get there with deads, just takes time and getting the reps in.

Metabolic sets on one arm DB press looking good, building those cannonballs.

Considering I did 4 sets of 5 reps with very little rest between sets, 120kg is not bad. I will work my way up soon enough.

HST log
Decided to try some traditional deads, now that I’ve got some conditioning under my belt from a few weeks of RDLs.
Deadlift: 235x1, 285xfail, 255x1, legs could easily handle it, lower back sucks... as usual with my chronic hip issues, (hip tightness and lumbar misalignment from childhood broken legs.)
I just can’t pull from the floor with my hips. Rack pulls were always the best for my back.
•Rack Pulls: 255x5, 295x5, 315x5, 325x5, 345x5!!!*
*Notice the dramatic difference in strength when I don’t have to flex my hips deep and hyperextend the lumbar like floor deads. Sucks to have one leg longer than the other and extreme hip tightness over a lifetime.

•split squat: 105xSKIP! -fuck that, my lower body is fried from 45 minutes of straight pulling!

Back to regular HST programming.
All exercises: 4 sets of 5 reps
•1-arm DB press: 50
•Standing DB row: 55
Deltoids progressing mucho rapido!
•iso-lateral Pulldown: 190 *pretty much 5 rep max
•Iso-lateral decline Bench: 195

Weigh in @197 pounds

I wonder if BB hypers wouldn’t be good for you, as they would take varied limb lengths out of the equation.

I wonder if BB hypers wouldn’t be good for you, as they would take varied limb lengths out of the equation.

I think that is a Great idea. A foot lift in my shoe works for me, the rack pulls are not a problem at all. It is only when I go deep to the floor that my hips just sort of fail. The foot lift works great, but my hips are pretty much ruined for deep pulling and squatting after 30 years of the issues.

(Hence the split squats instead of standard squats)

Those rack pulls were awesome, everything is a bit sore from my traps down to my knees! Even my abs are a little sore after those!

Those rack pulls really hard to recover from, nervous system, muscles and everything. I think I’m going to take jesters advice and work on some more glute ham raises and Barbell hyper extensions, sit-ups, work on the core as an isolation more

HST log
Stronger across the board. [emoji2]

•Rack Pulls: 365x20 reps Max-stimulation style. (1 rep, pause, 1 rep, pause, repeat until 20 reps)
•s/l standing calf raise: 75x20 reps max-stim
All other exercises: 4 sets of 5 reps
•iso-lateral Pulldown: 195 (8-9)
•Iso-lateral decline Bench: 200 (9)
•split squat: 125
•1-arm DB press: 50
•Standing DB row: 55

Weigh in @196 pounds

Back