2016 Log

Block pulls; 3-200kg, 1-220kg, 3x3-230kg@8. Bar was laterally shifted on one of the reps, figured I’d just middle-it after the break but my left erector wasn’t the most thrilled. Seems fine now thankfully.

LBBS; 1-140kg, 1-150kg, 3x2-160kg@8. Bit of back and forth movement around thehole, but the lifts were easy once positioning was established.

Good benching, Need to work on those dips broham.

It’s a far cry from time at 150kg+ for reps. Ah well.

Re: dips - my triceps died. Probably need to shed some fat too. But they’ll help bring up the bench for now if nothing else.

It’s a far cry from time at 150kg+ for reps. Ah well.

Re: dips - my triceps died. Probably need to shed some fat too. But they’ll help bring up the bench for now if nothing else.

I've never had any carry over from dips to my bench. Whether it be dips with chains, weights or body weight. I've found variations of the bench press, and frequent benching or bench movement has the best carry over.

One accessory that does have good carry over especially for my lockout strength are french presses.

I've never had any carry over from dips to my bench. Whether it be dips with chains, weights or body weight. I've found variations of the bench press, and frequent benching or bench movement has the best carry over.

One accessory that does have good carry over especially for my lockout strength are french presses.

Weird. I have longer arms, which I can cancel out somewhat by a barrel chest, but triceps have always been the weak link for me in the movement, from a muscle group point of view.

I could rephrase to; dips give me the tricep work to provide a bigger muscle for their role in the bench press.

If you really wanna focus on triceps strength for transfers over to benching I would seriously recommend board presses and lockouts using a close grip. I know a lot of powerlifters do that to get their lockout strength up and beef up the triceps and it’s definitely going to focus on those more than your Delts and chest when you’re doing the board presses and lockouts at the end of the motion

If you really wanna focus on triceps strength for transfers over to benching I would seriously recommend board presses and lockouts using a close grip. I know a lot of powerlifters do that to get their lockout strength up and beef up the triceps and it’s definitely going to focus on those more than your Delts and chest when you’re doing the board presses and lockouts at the end of the motion

Probably fair, but harder to implement at a home gym at 5am ;).

It’s funny how all of us have different anatomy and genetics. I have the exact opposite problem: very weak, small pectoral muscles but large strong triceps. go figure

It’s funny how all of us have different anatomy and genetics. I have the exact opposite problem: very weak, small pectoral muscles but large strong triceps. go figure

I’d say that’s probably a function of rib cage size - those with bigger skeletons in one area will have correspondingly stronger muscles; i.e. the strongest ‘strongman’ is 6’8, not 5’8.

If the pecs aren’t getting it done, delts and triceps will compensate for ‘push’ functions.

$0.02

Reactions: Sci

Also, smaller pecs give the aesthetic of choice for 2018...not my ideal personally, but works for some.

DL; 3-200kg, 1-220kg, 1-230kg, [email protected], 6x1-250kg@9.

Strict rows; 3x5-150kg.

Stuff felt great today, technique on point, all glutes and pulling out the slack.

For anyone who is interested, the cues that I use for deadlifting that are most effective for me;

-Heavy hands; i.e. pull with your upper back until the bar feels heavy in your hands (fingers, actually).

-Push the floor away.

And then the last thing which isn’t a cue per se is that if I don’t feel my glutes stretching around my hips when I’m setting up, I’m in the wrong position/I facilitate that stretch when I set up. If I don’t, then it will be either hips too low and lift will fail, or it will be hamstrings doing the work (which isn’t what they’re there for).

I’d say that’s probably a function of rib cage size - those with bigger skeletons in one area will have correspondingly stronger muscles; i.e. the strongest ‘strongman’ is 6’8, not 5’8.

If the pecs aren’t getting it done, delts and triceps will compensate for ‘push’ functions.

$0.02

Absolutely. My rib cage is tiny, as well as the associated muscles..pectorals and lats, my arm bones are large, as well as my arm muscles.

Bench; 1-100kg, 2x3-110kg@9, 2x3-100kg@7-8.

Did these feet up with closer grip.

I’m going to go back to my heavy singles work for bench. It got me there once, it’ll get me there again. Rep work never really did it for me, and it feels as heavy as it did a week ago.

Have you tried floor presses for the triceps? They aren't convenient to do in my gym so I haven't been doing them, but in the past they seemed to help.

I'm in the same boat. Long arms, fairly wide rib cage, shitty bench numbers compared to others with similar mass. Drop sets on triceps, and recently myo-reps, have made a difference in tricep size but the carry over to bench still isn't really as much as I'd like. So not sure if that sort of thing would help in your situation either.

Have you tried floor presses for the triceps? They aren't convenient to do in my gym so I haven't been doing them, but in the past they seemed to help.

I'm in the same boat. Long arms, fairly wide rib cage, shitty bench numbers compared to others with similar mass. Drop sets on triceps, and recently myo-reps, have made a difference in tricep size but the carry over to bench still isn't really as much as I'd like. So not sure if that sort of thing would help in your situation either.

Haven’t yet. I’m fine with dips for now. I mean, there HAS to be a weak link somewhere after all. Either that or you’re Dennis Cornelius.

Myo-reps is that proverbial thing I’ve been meaning to try for a while but never seem to fit in. Do you think it would suit OHP or push-ups well?

Pushups yes, overhead pressing not so much. For shoulders it seems best to use machines with myo-reps. Pushups are great with myoreps though.

Back