Rom And Muscle Growth

Ah cool, quite a dramatic difference hey! It still puzzles me when I see guys throwing weights around with a partial ROM and 1 second reps (total rep time) and they're huge. Genetics perhaps...

Well in some situations it can be appropriate to not go full ROM. Mostly with certain lifts during myoreps, if you keep tension on the muscle by shortening the ROM a bit, it can enhance the occlusion effect. You won't get as many reps with the same load though as you would going full ROM.

Well in some situations it can be appropriate to not go full ROM. Mostly with certain lifts during myoreps, if you keep tension on the muscle by shortening the ROM a bit, it can enhance the occlusion effect. You won't get as many reps with the same load though as you would going full ROM.

Very true, myos you shorten ROM. I've always done full ROM for most of everything else as it made sense to me.

And I guess for other techniques like pulses at the semi-stretched position. Comes down to what the aim of the training/set is.

And yeah it's interesting huh.. alot of people shorten the ROM because it's harder doing full ROM and takes more effort. But in the case of occlusion-style training (shortened ROM) you don't get as many reps as there is no rest for the muscle group so more fatigue accumulates.

I guess it comes down to if you're going to the start/end point of the exercise. If you're starting at a dead stop and going 90% way up, this would probably be easier than starting at a ROM of 10% starting point to 90% (constant tension, no rest).

I think it's just important people don't get into the habit of shortening the rep range unless there is a valid reason to do so. In most cases, doing a full, safe ROM is the best way.

ROM for muscle or exercise? They’re different.

In most cases, the range of motion of an exercise is dictated by the range of motion of the muscle/joints involved. If you are performing an exercise that you feel goes beyond your natural range of motion it is advised that you stay within "your" natural range of motion. I am thinking particularly of shoulder exercises. The shoulder has a large range of motion in multiple planes, but the joint can also become unstable or place unnecessary strain on the small muscles of the shoulder in the stretched positions.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is be smart. Think long term joint health first.

In most cases, the range of motion of an exercise is dictated by the range of motion of the muscle/joints involved. If you are performing an exercise that you feel goes beyond your natural range of motion it is advised that you stay within "your" natural range of motion. I am thinking particularly of shoulder exercises. The shoulder has a large range of motion in multiple planes, but the joint can also become unstable or place unnecessary strain on the small muscles of the shoulder in the stretched positions.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is be smart. Think long term joint health first.
Yep absolutely.. I have seen people push through a full ROM just because they were told to work through the full ROM, even if it's not safe for their own particular mobility.

I like the term Eric Wong uses (not sure if he coined it), work within your Range of Control (ability to control the load through your range of motion, as opposed to just being able to get a joint in a certain position, aka flexibility).

Back