It's Time.

Agreed. I somehow missed the notifications for the recent posts but I'm happy to have caught up.

Thanks all. And thanks for the nudge on Myo reps next round. I'll use SD to do a little more research around that as it's not clear to me how to weave them in to the 10s. I've done some rest pause in the past but I'm curious to find out more around what's different.

So far, 3 weeks in and I'm up 5.4 lbs. On my Skulpt Chisel (I don't really trust the accuracy but do like to track progress) my bodyfat went down from 15.7 to 15.3 with the simple 3 point site check. Like I said, doubt it's very accurate but good to get a rough estimate. Muscle Quality went from 51.5 to 60.9.

Agreed. I somehow missed the notifications for the recent posts but I'm happy to have caught up.

So far, 3 weeks in and I'm up 5.4 lbs. On my Skulpt Chisel (I don't really trust the accuracy but do like to track progress) my bodyfat went down from 15.7 to 15.3 with the simple 3 point site check. Like I said, doubt it's very accurate but good to get a rough estimate. Muscle Quality went from 51.5 to 60.9.

Try this calculator
http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

As I prepare for the 5s starting tomorrow, I'm wondering more about the following statement:
"HST suggests that you limit the number of sets per exercise per workout to 1 or 2. This is based on "some" evidence that sets beyond the first "effective" set do little more than burn calories."

I'm really curious here as I prepare to do 4-5 sets of 5 reps. Can someone elaborate on this? Thank you.

Had a weird elbow pain doing dips the other day but other than that all is well and I'm making steady progress.

As I prepare for the 5s starting tomorrow, I'm wondering more about the following statement:
"HST suggests that you limit the number of sets per exercise per workout to 1 or 2. This is based on "some" evidence that sets beyond the first "effective" set do little more than burn calories."

I'm really curious here as I prepare to do 4-5 sets of 5 reps. Can someone elaborate on this? Thank you.

Had a weird elbow pain doing dips the other day but other than that all is well and I'm making steady progress.
The newest evidence shows that for experienced trainers, multiple sets are more effective for hypertrophy than a single set. Generally 3 sets is slightly superior to a single set. More than 3 sets is generally a waste of time and energy, compared to the small increment of increased hypertrophy that may or may not be superior than lower volume.

See details here:

https://exrx.net/WeightTraining/Volume

Thank you Sci and Old and Grey. Would you still do no more than 3 sets with only 5 exercises per session? I'm wondering if that's the reason 4-5 is being recommended with this routine.

For me, personally, I like to try and keep reps total fairly constant on linear progression.
Hence 2 x 15s, 3 x 10s
So the weight is increasing constantly while keeping TUL fairly constant. It is just how progression works for me.

When I hit 5s and negatives, and I am using a heavier load, I will start the first week with maybe 4 or 5 sets of 5. But by the second week, if the load is correct/heavy enough, then I will likely drop down to 3 sets.

That is why HST is a set of principles, rather than a set routine and progression is an over riding priority. Remember that a muscle doesn't count reps, it just requires a new stimulus to grow. This is why Blade suggests auto-regulation particularly with myo-reps.

I know that is as clear as mud, but it is the easiest way I can think to describe it at the moment.

Just finished the second week of 5s. Any suggestions on extending the 2 weeks? Just keep trying to add weight each session?

That is another reason why chins/pull ups and dips are so good an exercise, because they are easy enough to rig up to do negative only movements on, so strap on a belt load of weights and do sets of 5 - or clusters - to reach 25-30 reps

Another variation that I like to throw in is 'unilateral' negatives - for example, on a (smith) machine, using more than half the 5rm weight, (consider that you are approx 20% stronger in the negative movement - so approx 60-70% of 5rm) two arms up (explosive) one arm slower, down. That works for benching and shoulder press.
You can also try unilateral negatives on a decent leg press, just be ware of the tendancy to twist the hips on the one leg eccentric.

Ultimately, of course, not every exercise is adaptable to negative-only, but where you can do them, don't under-estimate the benefits , as you can use higher loads.

It's a good thing Santa is coming soon... my barbell broke and I'm not sure it's worth fixing.

I'll be wrapping up the first extended week of 5s tomorrow and the following week with a 5' bar I have then shopping around for a new bar during SD.

It's a good thing Santa is coming soon... my barbell broke and I'm not sure it's worth fixing.

I'll be wrapping up the first extended week of 5s tomorrow and the following week with a 5' bar I have then shopping around for a new bar during SD.

With the typical mass hysteria for fitness and burning off the Decembers excesses, that comes every January the 1st.. I'm not sure that this is the best time to go shopping for fitness equipment unfortunately - because the sellers know that PLONKs (Person with Little Or No Knowledge) will pay over the odds for any fitness equipment at this time of the year! :eek::eek::eek:

But good luck anyway:)

Brix

I got mine on Craigslist cheap. (Basically Online garage sale classifieds). I never buy brand new weight equipment, the world is overflowing already with unused, dusty barbells and squat racks.

Can you guys elaborate on the purpose of extending the 5s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you extend the 5s, You can continue to stress the muscles and increase strength, increasing your 5 rep maximum, and continue hypertrophy response. If you are stalling or just feel burned out, then you should end the cycle.

Can you guys elaborate on the purpose of extending the 5s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah what Sci said! It's a great opportunity to continue to increase your strength and hypertrophy. Just a way of still continuing the cycle and taking advantage of using heavier weights.

But when you feel like you're stalling bad, joints are sore and especially when clearly fatigued and exhausted, time to SD :)

Back