_tim's Log

The theme today was squeeze...

Supinated Grip BB Row: 6 x 6 @ 155

Wide Grip Pulldown: 130, 135, 140 x 12

Leverage Machine Row: 70, 75 x 18

SA DB Row: 65 x 24

Face Pull: 60 x 12, 70 x 8

I do these in a double movement; I pull to the middle of my face, slowly go back half of the negative and then pull to my forehead. That is one rep; helps the shoulders a bunch.

Good partial week. I am traveling Monday & Tuesday next week, so I'll likely just rest until Wednesday.

Been busy as anything. Here is everything from the last few days...

1/9/2019

Standing OHP: 105 x 6; 6 x 6 @ 115

The last set was RP'd 5-1

Side Lateral to Front Raise: 3 x 12 @ 40

T2Y: 10 x 11, 8

To explain - I started combining movements when my shoulders were a mess. These are lying rear deltoid raises with differing arm positions. The first T is done with palms together, then palms down and then the Y is essentially a superman-ish movement in the shape of a Y. The combination of all three movements = 1 rep.

Cable (Delt) X: 60, 70 x 24
|
Battle Ropes: TF(12?), TF(10?)

1/10/2019
Squat: 4 x 6 @ 245

SLDL: 135, 145, 150 x 12

Slight defecit.

SL Leg Press: 90, 110 x 18
|
Hang TTB: 6, 6

Standing Calf Raise: 157 x 20 (toes out); 177 x 20 (toes in); 177 x 48 (Eric)

Seated Calf Raise: 75 x 15
|
Bench Abs: 135 x 8

1/14/2019
Split Grip BB Curl: 5 x 10 @ 70

5 reps wide, 5 reps narrow per set.

Incline DB Curl: 4 x 10 @ 50
|
Standing Hammer Curl: 50 x 4, 7, 7, 4

SA Incline Curl: R: 25 x 8, 20 x 6, 15 x 6 L: 25 x 8, 20 x 4, 15 x 4

Dropsets.

Rope Tricep Extension: 5 x 12 @ 60

Smith Reverse Grip Bench: 115 x 8; 165 x 6; 185 x 6; 195 x 4

Bar did not touch my chest - constant triceps tension.

PJR Pullover: 30 x 25; 35 x 18

1/16/2019
Squat: 6 x 6 @ 255

Belt throughout; form was all over the place today.

SLDL: 145 x 12
My low back and hams were really tired today.

SL Leg Press: 110, 140 x 12
|
Hang TTB: 10, 4

Standing Calf Raise: 247 x 48 (Eric)

There we go; caught up.

Been busy as anything. Here is everything from the last few days...

1/9/2019

Standing OHP: 105 x 6; 6 x 6 @ 115

The last set was RP'd 5-1

Side Lateral to Front Raise: 3 x 12 @ 40

T2Y: 10 x 11, 8

To explain - I started combining movements when my shoulders were a mess. These are lying rear deltoid raises with differing arm positions. The first T is done with palms together, then palms down and then the Y is essentially a superman-ish movement in the shape of a Y. The combination of all three movements = 1 rep.

Cable (Delt) X: 60, 70 x 24
|
Battle Ropes: TF(12?), TF(10?)

1/10/2019
Squat: 4 x 6 @ 245

SLDL: 135, 145, 150 x 12

Slight defecit.

SL Leg Press: 90, 110 x 18
|
Hang TTB: 6, 6

Standing Calf Raise: 157 x 20 (toes out); 177 x 20 (toes in); 177 x 48 (Eric)

Seated Calf Raise: 75 x 15
|
Bench Abs: 135 x 8

1/14/2019
Split Grip BB Curl: 5 x 10 @ 70

5 reps wide, 5 reps narrow per set.

Incline DB Curl: 4 x 10 @ 50
|
Standing Hammer Curl: 50 x 4, 7, 7, 4

SA Incline Curl: R: 25 x 8, 20 x 6, 15 x 6 L: 25 x 8, 20 x 4, 15 x 4

Dropsets.

Rope Tricep Extension: 5 x 12 @ 60

Smith Reverse Grip Bench: 115 x 8; 165 x 6; 185 x 6; 195 x 4

Bar did not touch my chest - constant triceps tension.

PJR Pullover: 30 x 25; 35 x 18

1/16/2019
Squat: 6 x 6 @ 255

Belt throughout; form was all over the place today.

SLDL: 145 x 12
My low back and hams were really tired today.

SL Leg Press: 110, 140 x 12
|
Hang TTB: 10, 4

Standing Calf Raise: 247 x 48 (Eric)

There we go; caught up.
Cool, those T2Y raises sound fascinating! I'm currently really focusing on rear delts/mid back, they sound fun.

And have always wanted to try Reverse grip Bench, but feels like it would be awkward just using a BB, good idea using Smith Machine on those... I fear my wrists wouldn't take too kindly to them :s. But I'm sure I'll try them at some stage

Cool, those T2Y raises sound fascinating! I'm currently really focusing on rear delts/mid back, they sound fun.

And have always wanted to try Reverse grip Bench, but feels like it would be awkward just using a BB, good idea using Smith Machine on those... I fear my wrists wouldn't take too kindly to them :s. But I'm sure I'll try them at some stage

Hey @_Simon_! I cannot say enough about the T2Y pattern. I was introduced to the base movement during some physical therapy several years ago. When my delts decided to start complaining, I found the pronated hand position by mistake. I combined them (pronated & neutral) and added the modified front raise to pull in both the connective tissue and the front-ish delts too. After a week of doing these, my pain went away. After two weeks, my delts felt strong again. I use this pattern at least once a week.

I again have a ton to catch up, which I will do later today. Business travel has introduced chaos to my logging efforts.

Hello again, all. I cannot believe it's taken me so long to write here again; it's telling.

Okay - so my triples cycle ended disappointingly, well short of my targets. This sorta collided with my initial business travel and I decided to find a program and submit to it out of utter frustration.

Well, I chose this: https://www.bodybuilding.com/workout-plans/ph3-layne-nortons-power-and-hypertrophy-trainer

Now, before the judgment seeps in, consider the following:

I'm 42. My (all-time) Squat 1RM is up 30 lbs, my Bench 1RM is in PR territory by 30 lbs and my Deadlift 1RM is up 20 lbs in the very upper part of my working range, likely in PR land for conventional pulling. I know I pulled 425 sumo back in the day, which is by and large my PR from the floor. I can't remember where my deadlift PR was for conventional, but my assumption is that I'm close to it.

I've also added a bunch of size, more than I can remember in such a short period of time. I'm in the second phase of the program now, which utilizes lower volumes but higher loads for the big compounds and about the same loading for assistance work.

Today:
Deads: 3 x 3 @ 300

Bench: 4 x 4 @ 240

Pec Deck: 150 x 15; 170 x 13

WG PD: 150 x 14; 160 x 12

Bent DB Row: 110 x 12; 8-4

DB Lateral Raise: 50 x 15; 60 x 13

Machine Preacher Curl: 85 x 12, 12; 82.5 x 12; 75 x 12; 70 x 12

Incline Curl: BFR x 2 - 40 x 30, 15, 15, 30 x 15, 30, 15, 15, 15

I was super skeptical about BFR work, but I am hooked now. Take a look here for info: https://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/blood-flow-restriction-training-bfr/

Tricep PD: 80 x 15; 90 x 13; 95 x 12

Tricep PD: BFR x 2 - 50 x 30, 15, 15, 15; 40 x 30, 15, 15, 15

The thing that is so fun about this layout is that it extends the way I train, but keeps the idea the same. The workouts can be long and super challenging, but I feel incredible after every session. I'm good and swole up right now, 2 hours post.

I hope you all are well - been way too long, again.

I'm glad to see the forum is back! I don't know if the issue was on my end, but I couldn't get the site to load for several weeks.

My cycle came to an end with CNS fatigue. My bench and squat numbers both ended with PR's and my deadlift was close for conventional pulling. It was a great pattern, though a couple of things were eye-opening. When the fatigue started to settle in, I took a step back and did some GM work and some ab work. I was shocked at the DOMS I had in my hams and my abs over the next days! So, I am going to borrow some of the methodology and put together my own cycle bearing lessons learned. I got bigger and stronger, yes—but my connective tissue didn't get nearly enough work.

This is a very light deload week, with lots of rest.

I'm glad to see the forum is back! I don't know if the issue was on my end, but I couldn't get the site to load for several weeks.

My cycle came to an end with CNS fatigue. My bench and squat numbers both ended with PR's and my deadlift was close for conventional pulling. It was a great pattern, though a couple of things were eye-opening. When the fatigue started to settle in, I took a step back and did some GM work and some ab work. I was shocked at the DOMS I had in my hams and my abs over the next days! So, I am going to borrow some of the methodology and put together my own cycle bearing lessons learned. I got bigger and stronger, yes—but my connective tissue didn't get nearly enough work.

Hey welcome back, and yep not sure what happened with the site, but I also couldn't get on for ages.

And I'm finding that too, with every cycle I learn something to implement or importantly something that I need to be careful of or limit.

Enjoy your restful deload, recover well :)

Hey welcome back, and yep not sure what happened with the site, but I also couldn't get on for ages.

And I'm finding that too, with every cycle I learn something to implement or importantly something that I need to be careful of or limit.

Enjoy your restful deload, recover well :)

Thanks @_Simon_ - I appreciate that!

I think I'm going to do the Wendler BBB 3-Month Challenge again for my next round of fun, implementing some of what I learned in PH3. The first major learning: (shocker) the big 3 lifts contributed both to my size and strength gains. My bench numbers were above pre-injury, and my squat and deadlift numbers were right in the lane of good for me. I did BBB a couple years ago, but got hurt being dumb in month 2. So, I'll use that lesson to guide the progress as well. I PROMISE y'all that this log will have all the fun details. We'll get going on Monday, and I'll figure the cardio angles as we go.

Be well, all.

It begins (again)...

Squats: 235, 250, 265 x 5

These loads are 75%, 80% and 85% of my working 1RM. Loose-ish belt, knee sleeves for work sets.

Deads: 175 x 10, 10. 10, 10, 10
This is approximately 50% of my working 1RM. I'm intending on progressing these loads by 5 every other week. Wendler's guidance is to avoid belts/straps for these assistance sets as much as possible, which I did. Great pump in my forearms!

Seated Calf Raise: 95, 115, 140, 165 x 8

Standing Calf Raise: 272 x 20, 10, 10, 10

These sets were done using the BFR pattern from PH3. The approach is to use BFR bands on the legs and keep the loads on the light side. Rest times are kept to 30 seconds between sets. The only way to make this work relevant with a single set is by prefatiguing the target muscles, which I did with the seated raises.

Hang TTB: 6, 5
|
Sicilian Crunch: 20 x 6, 5
|
Russian Twist: 25 x 20, 20

This was the other big learning from PH3; there was NO abdominal work.

All in all, a good start. Looking back through my notes, I got hurt in month two of the challenge a couple of years ago. I think my cadence was off and didn't allow enough recovery time for my back. So, I tweaked it for this run. We'll see how it goes.

Bench: 205, 220, 235 x 5
This week, all the inital loads are 75%-80%-85% of the working 1RM.

Standing Press: 75 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

SA DB Row: 70, 80, 90, 100 x 8

T2Y: 20 x 5, 5

A reminder - this is the pattern I came up with when rehabbing shoulders. All 3 movements count as a single rep. Lying on a 45-degree bench face down: pronated-grip rear delt fly, neutral-grip rear delt fly, "superman." That's the conventional name of the movement, but it is in the shape of a Y - so T, T, Y or T2Y. Today's sets were done supersetted with the second and fourth sets of rows.

Chins: BW x 6, 5, 3
BW at workout time was 220.25.

Incline Curl: 50 x BFR 20-10

Rope Tricep Pushdown: 70, 75, 80 x 8

Flat Attachment Tricep Pushdown: 65 x BFR 20-10

I toyed with dips for the tricep fatiguing sets, but my delts were plenty cooked, so I went with strict form rope work instead. Every rep, that rope bent outward at full extension.

So far, not bad. The parts of this that are my programming (everything after the second lift) felt right, with the "right" amount of work.

It begins (again)...

Squats: 235, 250, 265 x 5

These loads are 75%, 80% and 85% of my working 1RM. Loose-ish belt, knee sleeves for work sets.

Deads: 175 x 10, 10. 10, 10, 10
This is approximately 50% of my working 1RM. I'm intending on progressing these loads by 5 every other week. Wendler's guidance is to avoid belts/straps for these assistance sets as much as possible, which I did. Great pump in my forearms!

Seated Calf Raise: 95, 115, 140, 165 x 8

Standing Calf Raise: 272 x 20, 10, 10, 10

These sets were done using the BFR pattern from PH3. The approach is to use BFR bands on the legs and keep the loads on the light side. Rest times are kept to 30 seconds between sets. The only way to make this work relevant with a single set is by prefatiguing the target muscles, which I did with the seated raises.

Hang TTB: 6, 5
|
Sicilian Crunch: 20 x 6, 5
|
Russian Twist: 25 x 20, 20

This was the other big learning from PH3; there was NO abdominal work.

All in all, a good start. Looking back through my notes, I got hurt in month two of the challenge a couple of years ago. I think my cadence was off and didn't allow enough recovery time for my back. So, I tweaked it for this run. We'll see how it goes.
...... BFR with calf raises...... that must be one of the most excruciating things one could do in the gym surely haha! OUCH!

...... BFR with calf raises...... that must be one of the most excruciating things one could do in the gym surely haha! OUCH!

It's really not bad, Simon. To me, it feels the same as taking a muscle close to failure. The only difference is that reps get harder faster. The pump is unreal; I recommend BFR training to anyone for that reason alone.

It's really not bad, Simon. To me, it feels the same as taking a muscle close to failure. The only difference is that reps get harder faster. The pump is unreal; I recommend BFR training to anyone for that reason alone.
Ah right, I just reckon the calves feel differently to other muscle groups, like their potential to cramp up is much higher, but maybe that's just me haha. I've done BFR for biceps and triceps before, yyyyep it's insane....

Ah right, I just reckon the calves feel differently to other muscle groups, like their potential to cramp up is much higher, but maybe that's just me haha. I've done BFR for biceps and triceps before, yyyyep it's insane....

Y'all are forcing me to tell you the other half of my calf training, and it is horrid Simon. It's been a while since I mentioned it, but it's coming up Friday so I'll detail the update.

Remember... Eric.

I call it this because my buddy Eric told me about part of it, and that was good enough for naming rights.

The first two sets in this pattern are pretty traditional. Two sets of 25 rep standing calf raise sets - the first has toes out, the second toes in (pigeon-toed). The third set is the piece de resistance. With feet parallel:

8 regular reps +
8 partial upper reps +
8 partial lower reps +
16 single leg negatives (8 per leg) +
8 regular reps

Yep - one big set. If you get to the end and the last 8 reps are doable with clean form, you go again with a 15-20% increase in load. The change I made was to the negatives. Previously, it was 4 reps/leg, but I felt the pattern should extend those sets to 8/leg. The change is big, and typically makes that last batch of 8 regular reps ugly as sin.

I'm doing my next round of this on Friday. Cannot wait.

Just remember that you made me write this. It's all on y'all, @_Simon_.

Y'all are forcing me to tell you the other half of my calf training, and it is horrid Simon. It's been a while since I mentioned it, but it's coming up Friday so I'll detail the update.

Remember... Eric.

I call it this because my buddy Eric told me about part of it, and that was good enough for naming rights.

The first two sets in this pattern are pretty traditional. Two sets of 25 rep standing calf raise sets - the first has toes out, the second toes in (pigeon-toed). The third set is the piece de resistance. With feet parallel:

8 regular reps +
8 partial upper reps +
8 partial lower reps +
16 single leg negatives (8 per leg) +
8 regular reps

Yep - one big set. If you get to the end and the last 8 reps are doable with clean form, you go again with a 15-20% increase in load. The change I made was to the negatives. Previously, it was 4 reps/leg, but I felt the pattern should extend those sets to 8/leg. The change is big, and typically makes that last batch of 8 regular reps ugly as sin.

I'm doing my next round of this on Friday. Cannot wait.

Just remember that you made me write this. It's all on y'all, @_Simon_.
Hahaha! Sorry to remind you of that trauma! That is just brutal.... but massive props to you for enduring that! [emoji14]

Ha! Thanks, Simon! I appreciate that. I've always found developing the lower leg so it looks proportional to be a challenge. So, coupled with deadlift work, heavy sets + BFR or this Eric pattern have helped.

Today's fun:

Standing BB Press: 115, 120, 130 x 5
75%-80%-85% today. One more at this rep/percentage layout.

Bench Press: 135 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10
50% - but was really, really light. My heart rate didn't break 100 until I started my next sets.

WG Pulldown: 130, 145, 155, 160 x 8; 135 x 5
That 5th set was a TUT set. The concentric part of the movement is "normal," but the eccentric was really slow and controlled. I counted a couple of the reps and it averaged out to a slow 10-12 count.

NG Pulldown: 145, 150, 155, 160 x 8; 130 x 5
Same thing - the 5th set was TUT-focused.

Face Pull: 70, 75 x 10
These were hitched reps; the first part of the pull is pulled at the nose level. There is about a quarter eccentric movement and then the pull starts again toward the forehead. Both parts of the movement count as 1 rep. I've found this to be an incredible help for shoulder health. The bonus is that you get a glorious chest stretch during the hitched portion of the rep. Couple this with outward rotation and it's deltoid gold.

Cable Curl: 105 x 12; 125 x 8

Incline DB Curl: 60 x BFR 20, 10, 10, 10

The last set was a struggle in the upper reps. 30 seconds between sets.

Dips: BW x 12, 12

These felt better than I anticipated and have officially found a place in the upper body layout. I'll start adding load to the sets next week; these sets were both at an RPE of 5-6.

Tricep Pushdown - Flat: 70 x BFR 20, 10, 10, 10

Like the Incline Curls, the last set was a bit challenging. Doable, but tricky.

Felt good, despite the press and bench sets feeling like the weights should have been colored baby blue.

Deadlift: 250, 270, 285 x 5
Last day of the 75-85% range. I'm sure anyone reading this will know, but all loads are in pounds. So yeah - still relatively light. Loose belt + shin sleeves were the equipment in play.

Squats: 165 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10
I forgot how challenging the posterior chain assistance work was. Even at 50% of my working 1RM, the later sets were cardio-hard. Oddly, set 4 was worse than 5. Not sure why; rest was the same. Knee sleeves only were used for these sets, keeping the Wendler guidance in tact.

Press Situp: 20 x 6, 4, 4
This movement is exactly like a Sicilian Crunch, albeit not done on an exercise ball. I use a decline bench and a small barbell; the load is on my chest on the way up and locked above me on the way down.

Bench Abs: 135 x 8, 7
I haven't posted this one in a long time. Using a bench press bench... lift the bar into the starting position of a bench press. Extend your legs straight out ahead. With the bar stable overhead, do a leg lift to the middle, then right, then left. That's one rep. Return the bar to the rack with legs still extended. I saw a guy doing these on the floor years ago, but when I tried it, the range of motion was too small for me. So, I modded it and have used it for the past several years. Good low ab work.

Standing Calf Raise: 265 x 25, 25; 237 x 48
This was the Eric pattern and it lived up to its glory. The first two sets were done with my heels in and then out, hitting every angle of the lower leg. The last set reduced me to mush in the final section of 8. My last two reps were awful form-wise. Regardless, good stuff on already tired calves.

Dead Bug: 18, 6
Don't knock 'em til y'all try 'em. Yeah, these are super popular with females - but is one of the best finishing exercises I've found for the abdominals. It's low-impact and the movement itself is really basic and safe. When you get tired, there's little chance of injury. I paired this with stretching to finish out the session.

Good first week. Next week is the 3's for the main compound lifts. I will likely tweak the assistance work a little bit, simply because the loads are going up. Assistance work needs to assist, and I think there is a grand possibility of the same pattern used this week to be tricky with less energy. We shall see.

Last edited:
I had limited time today, so I got a short but seemingly (hopefully) effective one in at midday...

Squats: 250, 270, 285 x 3
Loose belt and knee sleeves were used. Here again, the work sets weren't terribly challenging.

Deadlift: 180 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10
|
Hang TTB: 8, 5, 5, 4, 3

Grip became a big issue here, as did cardio fitness. I was out of breath and sweating for a good 30 minutes after I walked out of the gym.

Back