Integrating Myoreps Into Standard Hst Program

Luke matthews

Hi guys

Can someone please explain how we can integrate myoreps into a vanilla HST routine?

In what range (10’s, 15’s etc) would they be recommended.

I am just coming off a 16 day SD.

Thanks

I would say during the 15s and 10s and only during the first week of each block as you should be getting enough stimulus during the second week, no need for myo reps in the 5s phase.

Personally I would do either HST or Myo reps

Yes, during the 15s and 10s is my recommendation. I have already tweaked and refined it into an HST-based template, integrated it with a nutritional template and lifestyle habits and created a course...18 years after I first heard of HST, this is the overarching progression model I have landed on as the most effective, and that’s saying something :)

https://www.sustainableselfdevelopment.com/ssdprogram

Hmm... been pondering this a bit... and haven't found any clarity about it and I've found different recommendations...

Within the context of a HST cycle, would it make more sense to use myoreps:

1) during the first week of a block (only the 1st week of 15s, 1st week of 10s)

Or

2) just for the last few sessions of a rep-range block?

I can see the logic for both.. for 1), you're already getting enough near-failure stimulation in the second week of the rep-range block, so doing it the first week gives a bit more "oomph" to the submax phase.

For 2) this makes sense progression-wise. As you're approaching the end of a rep-range block your increasing the density up until you hit your RM, then you back off a bit in the next block, dropping reps and increasing weight.

I know Borge wasn't a fan of using myoreps for every single workout, 3x full body being a bit overkill.

What do you guys think?

It really depends on the how advanced you are in training, your training age and your chronological age. Once you get into Myo Reps, there is no "one size fits all". For me it works best with using Myo reps every workout for 3-4 sets per body part (i.e., one 20+ rep activation set and followed by 2-3 sets using Myo reps of 5-10 reps) 3 times per week and now incorporating Blood Flow Restriction training into legs and biceps with nice success. On some body parts, such as triceps, I also incorporate giant sets doing just one giant set Myo style using 3-4 different exercises. Sounds weird but that is what works best for me right now. I do no sets of just 15, 10 or especially 5 reps, rest and repeat. That just does not work for me with 60 years of training. My muscles need to be pushed to the max pump possible but not with weights that are heavy enough that a slight lax in form could potentially cause injury. You can't gain if you cannot train!

Last edited:
It really depends on the how advanced you are in training, your training age and your chronological age. Once you get into Myo Reps, there is no "one size fits all". For me it works best with using Myo reps every workout for 3-4 sets per body part (i.e., one 20+ rep activation set and followed by 2-3 sets using Myo reps of 5-10 reps) 3 times per week and now incorporating Blood Flow Restriction training into legs and biceps with nice success. On some body parts, such as triceps, I also incorporate giant sets doing just one giant set Myo style using 3-4 different exercises. Sounds weird but that is what works best for me right now. I do no sets of just 15, 10 or especially 5 reps, rest and repeat. That just does not work for me with 60 years of training. My muscles need to be pushed to the max pump possible but not with weights that are heavy enough that a slight lax in form could potentially cause injury. You can't gain if you cannot train!
Ah yep good point, cheers O&G! Yeah I've learned that if I overdo it with myoreps I can crash, so learning to train more sensibly.

I'm thinking of just doing a slight rest pause in the earlier parts of the rep range block, and myos on the last two sessions of each rep block. At the start it'll get a bit more demand/metabolic strain with the weights being used, but without going nuts. And then there's weights+density progression moving towards the RMs. Then next rep phase is a bit of drop in that intensity but still increased weight.

Sounds complicated but it's simple for me haha.

Back